Does anyone make mayo?

Options
TheRealParisLove
TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
I'm trying to get my diet more natural, and I just love mayo. The store bought stuff is full of processed ingredients, and I was going to make my own with olive oil.

If you make your own mayo, do you prefer vinegar or lemon juice in the recipe? I'd also like to know how long it takes to make it, so that way I can plan enough time to prep my foods.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    i have a mayo recipe since i cannot handle processed/acidic foods well due to a bladder disorder (the lemon juice is very minimal so it does not bother me nearly as much as store bought mayo)

this makes 1 cup:

egg white mayo:
    1 egg white
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 tsp white sugar
    1/4 tsp mustard powder
    2 tsp lemon juice
    1 cup vegetable oil

blend the egg white, salt, sugar, mustard powder, and lemon juice in a blender until combined; slowly stream the vegetable oil into the mixture while blending, about 1/4 cup at a time, until thick. refrigerate in an air-tight container until using

i can't remember how long it takes to make, but nothing that takes up your entire day (it has been a while since i made it)

from allrecipes.com
  • Satiable
    Options
    i can't remember how long it takes to make
    Great recipe keem88, I haven't seen an egg white version before. Must try.

It takes me about 5 minutes to make mayonnaise. Pop everything but oil in the blender, blend, then add a couple of tablespoons' worth of oil every 30 seconds or so.

If the mayonnaise breaks (separates into an oily mess) try whisking a tablespoon of cold water into it, or if that's not enough, add one egg yolk. Only takes one minute extra.
  • erialcelyob
    erialcelyob Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I've heard that some people use avocado (or guacamole) where they would otherwise use mayo. I don't know much though cos I am a ketchup person :-)
  • matyoung125
    matyoung125 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    If you use a blender or food processor it only takes a couple of minutes (I make a one egg mayo with a a hand blender). Start off adding the oil slowly but you can add more quickly once it's gets going. If you use a hand whisk it can take 15-20 minutes.

Vinegar or lemon depends on what I'm using it for. Both are good. I use 50/50 mix of olive oil or rapeseed(canola) and a less flavoured oil like sunflower or veg.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    Mine takes me about 2 minutes (I have a little mini blender that I use). I prefer lemon juice personally. I'm not a big vinegar fan, but I am big on lemons and lemon flavors. So that's what I use. I use the basic one that Chef John did on a Foodwishes video years and years ago. Nothing fancy.
  • Casstevens133
    Casstevens133 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    That's a great recipe Keem88 it's mine too - works every time :-)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I make olive oil mayo at least once a week.

Place 1 whole egg and 2 tbsp of lemon juice in food processor. Let sit for a half hour to bring to room temp. Add 1/4 cup of light tasting olive oil (it's on the label, NOT extra virgin olive oil), 1/2 tsp dry mustard, 1/2 tsp salt.
    Blend at medium speed until combined. With motor running drizzle 1 cup of light tasting olive oil in a very thin stream. It should take 2-3 minutes.

ETA - it takes less than 5 minutes excluding the time it takes to bring the egg to room temp. Total time would be 35 minutes I guess.
  • MABEL733
    MABEL733 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    My recipe is similar to 3Dogs.

1 egg, room temperature
    1 tbs lemon juice or vinegar, I generally use vinegar because it's easier and the taste difference is negligable
    1 cup oil, you can use olive or any type you like

Put the egg in a jar, put the vinegar in next, add the oil and maybe some shakes of salt and pepper. I use a stick blender, which I REALLY recommend, put the blender in the jar, pulse it as I pull it up out of the jar to the top of the liquid. You can do this a few times until you reach the desired thickness. The process (not including bringing up the egg to room temp.) takes about a minute.

I tried it (unsuccessfully) with my Kitchen Aid and with a hand whisk before getting the stick blender. That thing is magic. If you don't have one already, you really want one. They are also fantastic for soups and sauces.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options

1 egg, room temperature
    1 tbs lemon juice or vinegar, I generally use vinegar because it's easier and the taste difference is negligable

Put the egg in a jar, put the vinegar in next, add the oil and maybe some shakes of salt and pepper. I use a stick blender, which I REALLY recommend, put the blender in the jar, pulse it as I pull it up out of the jar to the top of the liquid. You can do this a few times until you reach the desired thickness. The process (not including bringing up the egg to room temp.) takes about a minute.

I tried it (unsuccessfully) with my Kitchen Aid and with a hand whisk before getting the stick blender. That thing is magic. If you don't have one already, you really want one. They are also fantastic for soups and sauces.

I have heard of a very successful method using the stick blender. You put the oil in a measuring cup(or other container), start it and let it create a tornado vortex, then slowly drizzle in the egg/acid mixture.
  • fitgirlandfoodie
    fitgirlandfoodie Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I'm from Mayo...but whenever I make it, it tends to split. But it till tastes better than store bought..
  • whierd
    Options
    I'm from Mayo...but whenever I make it, it tends to split. But it till tastes better than store bought..

I'm not sure where Mayo is, but I wanna be from there too. :wink:
  • fitgirlandfoodie
    fitgirlandfoodie Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options

Its a county in Ireland..and I may be biased but it's a pretty cool place....and if anyone has tickets for the All Ireland final which we're taking part in...send them my way please..Mayo for Sam '13 :D
  • whierd
    Options
    Anything you say. :love:
  • 5n0wbal1
    5n0wbal1 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I've heard that some people use avocado (or guacamole) where they would otherwise use mayo. I don't know much though cos I am a ketchup person :-)
    I like using avocado on sandwiches in place of mayo. Usually 1 avocado is enough for 2 sandwiches if you use it generously or 3 if you use it moderately.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

1 egg, room temperature

I have heard of a very successful method using the stick blender. You put the oil in a measuring cup(or other container), start it and let it create a tornado vortex, then slowly drizzle in the egg/acid mixture.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/10/the-food-lab-homemade-mayo-in-2-minutes-or-le.html
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Mayo is easy to make, and takes less than 5 minutes with a blender, but hard to use up before it goes bad. I'd rather buy the stuff that keeps, since I only use a tablespoon or so, in recipes that serve 4-8, occasionally.
  • whierd
    Options

1 egg, room temperature

http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/10/the-food-lab-homemade-mayo-in-2-minutes-or-le.html

That may be the exact video I was thinking of. I remember seeing something similar a few years ago. I guess I misremembered!
  • claire_donegal84
    claire_donegal84 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Haha... good for you... worth a try!!! I'm from Mayo too and my facebook newsfeed is full of almost **Everyone I know from the area** after tickets!!! GOOD LUCK!!!! Maybe worth going to Croke Park and chancing your arm on the day....

Its a county in Ireland..and I may be biased but it's a pretty cool place....and if anyone has tickets for the All Ireland final which we're taking part in...send them my way please..Mayo for Sam '13 :D
  • robinellis
    Options
    i actually use a little red wine vinegar in mine.