beginners issues

Options
spoons42
spoons42 Posts: 5
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Hi Everyone,

I was hoping someone could help me with a few things..

I've recently starting eating better and going to the gym again - no processed food, no sugar, limited carbs (only before or after the gym) and going and trying out different gym classes all week.

However I've put on 1 kg and I don't know why if I've been eating better and exercising.

I have listed below the possible reasons I think might have had an effect but I have no idea, so help is needed to see where I've gone wrong.

I have been drinking more water
I've also had one or 2 more cappuccinos than normal - does caffeine effect weigh loss?
If I've been to the gym could I have gained mussel and does this weigh more than fat?

Thanks for any help and guidance

Replies

• dutchieee0212
    Options
    muscle could definitely be the cause! try to take measurements istead of the scale and see if theres a difference there
  • spoons42
    Options
    Thanks dutchieee, I actually took my measurements yesterday and have put the scales away and will only bring them out at the end of the month. I just want to avoid bringing them and the measuring tape out at the end of September only to be disappointed.
  • trevpimp
    trevpimp Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I go through this all the time. You're body is getting stronger and when u get stronger you're body basically either gains or maintains. I been on a good diet and my weight has stayed the same. I do notice all these sexy curves on my muscles though lol 4 times a week in the gym does the job lol
  • spoons42
    Options
    Thanks, with both of you saying its because of muscle ill keep up the work - I was about to give up and go order a pizza... and a large chocolate cake :)
  • brisingr86
    brisingr86 Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Muscle definitely ways more than fat. Even with the healthier diet, check your sodium levels; in addition to the drinking more water, high sodium is going to keep more of it in your body. How long have you been with your new routine? Give it a few weeks and don't weigh yourself more than once a week (at least for tracking). Also make sure you weigh yourself the same time every time (most people go with first thing in the morning after bathroom necessities, before breakfast. Your weight can fluctuate a couple pounds (about a kg) in a day.

Do some searches in the forum and see what comes up. There are a lot of threads around these kinds of issues. Most people will want to see your diary to be able to offer more constructive advice, so make sure it's open. Sounds like you're on the right track, but good foods still have calories too (do eat back your exercise calories), but also make sure you're capturing calorie intake as accurately as possible. How are you getting your calories from your exercise? Strenght kind of activities burn less calories, but will build muscle and help you overall. Good luck and don't give up! Feel free to friend me.
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Without knowing your height, starting weight, what you're eating, or how you're exercising you won't get many specific answers from the really knowledgable people. However, here's some general stuff that might help a bit--

First, are you counting calories or just "eating better?" The calorie counting shows whether or not you are creating enough of a deficit to lose weight.

In general less processed food is only "better" in that they might have fewer calories, but the calories still add up. If you aren't already doing so, I suggest entering the calories of everything you eat and drink. You'll be surprised. Your 1-2 extra cappuccinos are probably affecting your weight loss, not because of caffeine, but because of calories from milk, sugar, and whatever extra flavoring you prefer. This doesn't mean you have to give them up. I never did, but I did have to start thinking of them the same way I would any other dessert.

Second, it is possible that your muscles are retaining water to repair themselves after all of their exercise. If that's the case, and you keep doing what you're doing it should all even out over time.

Third, and this will be said a lot, one pound of muscle weighs the same as one pound of fat. Muscle is denser than fat, and someone whose weight is primarily from muscle will look better than someone at the same weight with a higher body fat percentage. What this means to you, right now, is that you should keep exercising to look hotter and feel better as you lose weight.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I have been drinking more water
    I've also had one or 2 more cappuccinos than normal - does caffeine effect weigh loss?
    If I've been to the gym could I have gained mussel and does this weigh more than fat?

Thanks for any help and guidance

Well done you for improving your life goals :smile:

Personally I think it will be water and the change of diet, this will even out after a couple of weeks and you WILL start to see some changes in your weight for sure.

Caffeine will not affect weight loss per se. So do not increase caffeine in the hope that you will lose weight faster.

Muscle does not weigh heavier than fat. a 1lb of muscle weighs exactly the same as a 1lb of fat. They just take up different space in your body.

Keep on with the healthier diet and the exercise and you will make changes to your overall shape and weight x

ETA do not forget to make sure you keep your diary and stick to your calorie goals!!!
  • ashandstuff
    ashandstuff Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    If you have been ordering cappuccinos from a Coffee Shop then they will likely use whole milk unless told to use 2% or less. That ~might~ be a problem, but I highly doubt it’s the main problem. I would think it’s a mix of muscle gain + too much whole milk + body changing how it metabolizes food.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    One pound of muscle weighs the same as one pound of fat, it's just that muscle is more dense and thus takes up less space. If you've put on weight but your clothes have not gotten loser, then it seems to me it's either water weight or you've been eating more calories than you are burning.

Are you accurately logging your exercise and your food intake? Maybe you are overestimating calories burned or you are underestimating calorie intake.
This discussion has been closed.