Advice on becoming a F/T sever at resturaunt?

Options
Nidda_C
Nidda_C Posts: 81 Member
Hi, I hope you are all well.

I can find a better job, like a desk job or something (which would pay more too), but I was thinking about what would aid me the best in my weight loss goals.
So I am personally thinking that by being a F/T server at a restaurant, I will be on my feet all day which will result in me burning even more calories.

Any opinions on this?

For those who have worked at restaurants did it aid or hinder your weight loss progress?

Thank you for your help :)

Replies

• notdieting
    notdieting Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I personally would find it torture to be surrounded by people eating all day and the sight of all those delicious 'naughty' restaurant foods. How about something like a post person....lots of walking but no food!
  • SkagitYogini
    SkagitYogini Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I'm not sure why you think a desk job is "better", other than the benefits, which restaurant jobs usually don't offer. I worked as a server and bartender until my mid-twenties, and have been sitting on my behind at a desk ever since. I have back and hip pain constantly, my eyes are bad from staring at a computer screen, and I am so stressed and exhausted when I get home that I can barely stay awake until 8:00 at night.

Along with my sister and my niece, I own a restaurant (for the last two years) and will soon be quitting my office job to work there full time. As it is now, I work 5 days at the office and at least one if not both of the weekend days at the restaurant. I'd need to get a Fitbit or other HRM to know for sure, but when I work 10 hours on my feet, I log half that time as cleaning and walking slow pace, which is a good approximation.

You could end up making even more money at a restaurant because, while wages are low, you would make tips. And, it's fun! As long as you like people, and don't mind being their servant (which customers expect and deserve) you might enjoy a server job more than an office job.

As for your age? We have a woman working for us who has been there almost 18 years and just turned 70 this year! She's going strong, and is a customer favorite.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Some people that are servers work long shifts (12+ hrs) at some of these chain/big name places.. so even though you would be moving around you would need to eat.. therefore eating whatever food is there and that would just defeat your purpose of getting that job..

My advice.. Take whatever pays you the most money.
  • SkagitYogini
    SkagitYogini Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I personally would find it torture to be surrounded by people eating all day and the sight of all those delicious 'naughty' restaurant foods. How about something like a post person....lots of walking but no food!

You have to be creative to eat healthy at work, but it can be done. You can pack your own food and healthy snacks. If you are busy enough, there isn't time to eat!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I weighed my heaviest (235 lbs at 5'9") when I was waiting tables 40-60 hours a week at a large/busy restaurant. I was on my feet and moving the entire time.

I weigh my least now (136 at 5'9") at my current desk job. (and I'm 20 years old than when I waited tables).

I think the wisdom I would try to share is that you can't out-exercise a bad diet and too many calories. Having an active job doesn't necessarily mean it's easier to stay trim.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Working as a server is not a workout. Get the best paying job you can and get a real workout after work.
  • tjsoccermom
    tjsoccermom Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I worked in the restaurant industry for 8 years or so in my early twenties. I gained and lost weight during that time period but gained more than I lost. Gained by poor eating habits (garbage mouthing, eating the cooks mistakes, etc.) and drinking habits (going out after work for drinks almost every night) and then did lose some through diet and exercise. I worked many long days by working double shifts and was on my feet constantly but your body does get used to it and I don't think you burn the calories you would think. It was fun work for the age I was and I made good money, esp. once I started bartending but I don't think it will necessarily help you lose weight.
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Working as a server is not a workout. Get the best paying job you can and get a real workout after work.

Ditto. Get the best paying you can and then work out after work....like most people do.

I was a waitress for years, and I gained weight by working at restaurants because I was always eating the food. Not a good combo!
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I ate and drank anything I wanted and stayed thin easily when I waited tables. So much cardio and lifting! And don't worry about the food. After a while, you will get sick to death of seeing it and do not want to eat it as much. Also, the restaurant industry is a blast in spite of the stress. It is a very good experience in strengthening people skills, and you will make many close friends. Just make sure you have good control over your temper. Lol.
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I ate and drank anything I wanted and stayed thin easily when I waited tables. So much cardio and lifting! And don't worry about the food. After a while, you will get sick to death of seeing it and do not want to eat it as much. Also, the restaurant industry is a blast in spite of the stress. It is a very good experience in strengthening people skills, and you will make many close friends. Just make sure you have good control over your temper. Lol.

I worked in the industry for almost a decade....the food cravings never go away.
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Benefits and pay are important things to consider, happiness in a job ... very important thing to consider. I have come to a point in life that liking what I do is more important than anything. Even if I was working out as a living, I would not consider it as my workout. Well maybe I would. My point is do not choose your job based on how physical or not physical it is. If you have the luxury of actually choosing, choose what you like, and what will make you happy. If you are physical great! If you aren't, work out after or before work.
  • bernied262
    bernied262 Posts: 882 Member
    Options

^^^that!
  • withabandon
    withabandon Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Much like my daily 5K of dog walking does little for me in the "workout" department because it is an every day thing, eventually, working as a server becomes that way... and then you are so tired from being there and on your feet for 12+ hours that you don't have the energy/ambition to work out after. You will eat the food there, you will even have good intentions to bring your own food but when it comes down to you have 10 seconds to stuff something in your mouth, you'll take the biscuit/bowl of soup/chef's mistake because it is quicker than taking your salad out of the fridge and assembling it or nuking something hot in the microwave that you brought from home.

Don't get me wrong - it was the MOST fun I have had in a long time and I STILL go back to mine seasonally part time but I lost close to 70lbs after I left there. Just FYI.