Cut or still bulk ? Opinions please

Options
I'm a newbie lifter. I started MFP at 252lbs in October 2012 and had lost 82 lbs by June 2013. In April i started the Stronglifts program on a calorie deficit and completed the program at the end of June.... the picture on the left.

I then changed to a 4 day split body part program and ate 3000 calories per day + exercise calories... The pic on the right i'm getting on with the program really well but don't want to get too fat so i have decided to move into cut mode

Am i doing this right ? Like i say i'm pretty new to this so i'm looking for a bit of helpful input.

Just adding that i gained 10 lbs since July..

Cheers People
de6xzl.jpg

Replies

• michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    So you cut down 82 lbs including 12 weeks of stronglifts and then you bulked for 3 months and put on 10 lbs. Is that right?

From what I've read, most guys want to cut to single-digit body fat % and then bulk up to no more than 14-15% body fat and then cut. But I would think it's more about what you're comfortable with. Three month bulk is what I would like to do this fall... seems reasonable for me, but you don't look to me like you need to cut yet if that means anything :wink: 10 lbs on a guy your size seems pretty minimal for gains. Keep going?
  • neilvv
    neilvv Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    You can definitely see a noticeable difference.

I personally think bulking when you did was a good move. Should you keep bulking? That's up to you and how comfortable you are adding a little more fat as well. Could you post a front shot by any chance to get a better idea of your current bf%?

Yes you have it right Mrs thanks for your valued opinion !
    Thanks for you input I'm leaning towards cutting but my head says bulk. I don't want to get fat again and feel a bit pudgy around my stomach. At the same time i would really like to grow and don't want to waste my noob gains i am in no rush and want to try and look as good as possible if that makes any sense. Front pic as i would be interested in your body fat estimation cheers.

2akaiph.png
  • solarpower03
    solarpower03 Posts: 12,160 Member
    Options
    I would keep bulking and lift as heavy as I can.
  • michellekicks
    Options
    You don't look at all fat. Keep going.
  • neilvv
    Options
    Cheers people thanks for the input !
  • rogerbosch
    rogerbosch Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Front pic as i would be interested in your body fat estimation cheers.

2akaiph.png
    I'd say 15%
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Depends what your goals are - I think you look great right now! Congrats on your loss & progress :)
  • Jett68
    Jett68 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Since I don't know crap about what your talking about.
    I will just say you look great in both pics though! ????
  • KathleenMurry
    KathleenMurry Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    You can definitely see a noticeable difference.

I personally think bulking when you did was a good move. Should you keep bulking? That's up to you and how comfortable you are adding a little more fat as well. Could you post a front shot by any chance to get a better idea of your current bf%?

Yes you have it right Mrs thanks for your valued opinion !
    Thanks for you input I'm leaning towards cutting but my head says bulk. I don't want to get fat again and feel a bit pudgy around my stomach. At the same time i would really like to grow and don't want to waste my noob gains i am in no rush and want to try and look as good as possible if that makes any sense. Front pic as i would be interested in your body fat estimation cheers.

2akaiph.png

Can you post a more front on pic of your abs? It's hard to tell on an angle and kind of blurry, but I'm guessing around 15% give or take 2 %
  • neilvv
    Options
    Thanks for the input people !

Here is a clearer front shot taken 5 mins ago. The picture on the left is from July before my bulk and on the right just now, cheers.
    95s94k.jpg
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    My vote is keep bulking. :)
  • michellekicks
    Options

^ I agree. You're making good progress in your chest and lats.
  • neilvv
    Options

Thanks everybody and honestly it wasn't until i put those 2 pictures together that i could see progress,i guess the mind plays tricks on a bulk i think i will continue for a while. Thanks to everybody for the input !:smile:
  • rogerbosch
    rogerbosch Posts: 343 Member
    Options

Thanks everybody and honestly it wasn't until i put those 2 pictures together that i could see progress,i guess the mind plays tricks on a bulk i think i will continue for a while. Thanks to everybody for the input !:smile:

Not only the mind, also different lightning. To compare it's best to use the same light source at the same time of day. I also struggle with the same question, by the way. I lean more to lean than to bulky, though, but everyone has go this own preference.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    I say do a cut, get nice and lean.. Then bulk again.. a vicious cycle, but it's part of the journey :)
  • 305muscle
    305muscle Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    BULK!!! but its really up to you,how you feel best
  • Live4theLift
    Options
    Your first bulk is always your best, keep up the bulk. you still have 3 more months left this year and you can always cut down by summer of next year if you start feb or so. Keep up the progress man
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    ^^^ I agree with this, you are looking good and it's getting to the cooler, wear heavier clothing weather.. might as well keep bulking now and start cutting to be lean by summer. I'm planning to start a bulk cycle myself in the next two weeks for just this reason. ;) Looking great, best of luck and continued success.