Muscles not sore after gym

I've found that now my body is used to training my muscles don't get sore they just feel weaker right after gym and even the next day but I'm lifting heavier each week. If i'm not sore (obviously not debilitating muscle pain) does that mean I'm not working hard enough?

ta
-Adam

Replies

• Perhaps it's time to switch up the muscle group. Try core workouts, the difficult variety. Or do a round of Insanity or a pilates class.
  • Muscle soreness, or DOMS, is not an indicator of how hard you work at the gym. I've trained and competed in powerlifting and strongman, lifting very heavy (relative intensity) 4-6 days a week for years and I rarely feel sore unless I take a break and then it occurs for a week or two. Your work and recovery capacity will increase over time as long as you're pushing yourself in the gym and you know some of your sets are going to failure or near failure you're doing well.
  • the_dude00
    the_dude00 Posts: 1,056 Member
    If you're getting strong week in and week out, you're doing a lot of stuff right. Enjoy it. If i were you, I'd continue to roll on your routine until you notice significant diminishing marginal gains.
  • I recently switched from a 3x/week 5x5 program to a 5x/week split. Previously, I worked my legs 3x/week, but now only 1x/week. I noticed that about 2 days after leg day, I have DOMS like you wouldn't believe. I didn't really experience this with my previous workout (well, in the beginning, yes; but after I continued on in the program, it went away). Can anyone tell me what may be going on?
  • bigalfantasy2004
    bigalfantasy2004 Posts: 176 Member
    bump
  • I recently switched from a 3x/week 5x5 program to a 5x/week split. Previously, I worked my legs 3x/week, but now only 1x/week. I noticed that about 2 days after leg day, I have DOMS like you wouldn't believe. I didn't really experience this with my previous workout (well, in the beginning, yes; but after I continued on in the program, it went away). Can anyone tell me what may be going on?

Most likely switching for a 5x5 to a bodybuilding inspired split means that even though your frequency decreased your volume as increased greatly. Meaning instead of just doing your compound movement, you're doing a handful of exercises for your leg muscles and they need to adapt to that work capacity. If you're sore add another squat day. Just do a few sets of light squats maybe 3 x 15 throughout the week. One of the best ways to increase recovery and get over soreness is to fight through it and use the muscle, get some blood flow in there.
  • I'm no expert but maybe try switching the type of workout. Mix it up. Focus on different things.

Perhaps seek advice from a personal trainer at your gym, they might have some industry advice.
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Muscle soreness is an indication of muscle soreness. I wouldn't use it as an indication of anything else.
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    I've read that muscle soreness is actually more related to the cleansing of toxins from your muscles. When you first start working certain muscles, you might experience soreness as the toxins are flushed out and brought through the lymphatic system. Sometimes you might work muscles for the first time and there is no soreness because you're already pretty clean/detoxed overall.

Keeping your lymphatic system flowing with regular cardio/stretching/overall movement of the muscle groups will decrease soreness while strength training, too. The lymph system, unlike the blood/circulatory system, does NOT have a centralized pump (like the heart) to move the lymph through the body/muscles. Exercise is what keeps it moving, and keeps your body clean! The movement of lymph is generally in the direction toward your heart (from limbs, lymph glands point toward the center of the body).

Lymphatic cleansing can be achieved many ways: through a combination of clean eating/drinking and through movement (exercise and/or massage (manual expression of the lymph glands). Swimming is a great way to get an overall lymphatic cleanse (ever notice how swimming makes you have to pee so badly?) as the pressure of the water you're in helps with lymphatic cleansing throughout the body.

I don't have sources to cite, I read all this decades ago.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Soreness or lack thereof is not a reliable indicator of the effectiveness of a workout
  • eblakes93
    eblakes93 Posts: 372 Member

Seems legit.
  • TonyStark30
    TonyStark30 Posts: 497 Member
    My Muscles never get really sore after Weight training when I'm dropping weight. In fact for me if I do a refeed, work out and my Muscles are sore the next day I use that as a sign that I probably overdid the eating lol
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Muscle soreness is an indication of muscle soreness. I wouldn't use it as an indication of anything else.
    This, even I get sucked into the feeling that, if i am not sore, i didn't work my muscles hard enough. They don't need to be sore to be worked well. Although it does always increase my intensity with that muscle to work even harder.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    I've read that muscle soreness is actually more related to the cleansing of toxins from your muscles. When you first start working certain muscles, you might experience soreness as the toxins are flushed out and brought through the lymphatic system. Sometimes you might work muscles for the first time and there is no soreness because you're already pretty clean/detoxed overall.

Keeping your lymphatic system flowing with regular cardio/stretching/overall movement of the muscle groups will decrease soreness while strength training, too. The lymph system, unlike the blood/circulatory system, does NOT have a centralized pump (like the heart) to move the lymph through the body/muscles. Exercise is what keeps it moving, and keeps your body clean! The movement of lymph is generally in the direction toward your heart (from limbs, lymph glands point toward the center of the body).

Lymphatic cleansing can be achieved many ways: through a combination of clean eating/drinking and through movement (exercise and/or massage (manual expression of the lymph glands). Swimming is a great way to get an overall lymphatic cleanse (ever notice how swimming makes you have to pee so badly?) as the pressure of the water you're in helps with lymphatic cleansing throughout the body.

All of this is completely false.

Muscle soreness just means your muscles aren't used to the movement/intensity of the action. It has no bearing on effectiveness or not. Honestly, my opinion is if you get DOMS every time you work out, you're doing it wrong and probably overtraining. I've maybe had DOMS 3 or 4 times over the last year, generally when I make a change to my routine.

Remember, muscles adapt to what you're doing. And contrary to the marketing geniuses in the fitness world, you want the muscles to adapt to what you're doing. It's how you get fit. It's how you progress.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member

And it remains just as true now as it ever was
  • addysolari
    addysolari Posts: 181 Member
    Thanks so much for the replies. Much appreciated
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    All of this is completely false.

Muscle soreness just means your muscles aren't used to the movement/intensity of the action. It has no bearing on effectiveness or not.

I would love to hear more evidenced information about the falseness of the lymphatic explanation. I used that theory to prepare for/approach a strenuous hike (and various other activities since, such as rock climbing) and even though I was grossly overweight and had NOT used the muscles previously, I was able to hike, climb and haul large amounts of stone for entire days without soreness because of the cleansing I had done.

Please explain your theory in light of my actual experiences.

And please include what "effectiveness" you refer to, I'm not sure it came from my post that you quoted?

Thanks for your thoughtful reply.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Ugh, where to start? First of all, the lymphatic system is part of the immune system and is used to fight infections, not clear toxins. Clearing and processing toxins is the liver's job. Toxins also aren't stored in muscles.

Let me turn this around on you, exactly which toxins are being removed by your theory? Specifics please, because it's always the same. People who propose these preposterous claims about cleanses always toss in the word "toxins" but can never explain what these mysterious toxins are.

As for you hiking and not being sore, like I said, muscle soreness is indicative of nothing.