I have desk job and very little time

Options
sola24
sola24 Posts: 334 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
I am on a mission to lose weight but I have a desk job and working overtimes leave me with very little time, I live with roommates so get very little privacy as well. I walk to work (about 1.5 km) everyday and try to walk back as well if its not late. If I reach early I try to do cardio or zumba for 30 mins. around 4-5 times a week. I am 5ft tall and I weight 124 lbs now. For the last 2-3 weeks I havent lost any weight. I usually stay under 1200 cals per day. I dont know what I am doing wrong.

Replies

• snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    You're staying UNDER 1200 calories while 1200 is the minimum women should be consuming. IMO you need to eat more. Are you eating back your exercise calories?
  • sunsetzen
    sunsetzen Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Eat AT LEAST 1200 calories, but if you want to maintain your activity level, you need to eat back your exercise calories.
  • sola24
    Options
    I am only 5ft and my TDEE is 1245. So Ithought 1200 cals is enough for me. May be I am wrong. Weighed today and finally lost a kg. Hope I start losing now.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    You've calculated your tdee wrong it's around 1600 to 1700 calories so 20 % off that you should at least be hitting around 1400 calories
    http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html
  • mybonnieliesovertheocean
    Options
    I don't know a single person with extra time on their hands, do you?

You sound like you are making time for yourself and your health though which is great!

I'd suggest throwing in a muscle building day once or twice a week. Muscle helps burn fat and in conjunction with your cardio, you'll get there in no time.

Just be sure you eat protein after your muscle building sessions - muscles NEED protein to repair themselves.

This is what every personal trainer has taught me and it has worked for me.

Keep up the good work!
  • changingmylife85
    Options
    My best response to you would be to up your cals (eat back what you exercise) and STAY OFF THE SCALE!! I only way myself 1x/month. When I first started dieting, I was weighing myself every day. Then stressing out about it, gained even more weight. Then I stopped weighing myself. Relying on eating and exercising and BAM! Weightloss!
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others- sounds like you're doing pretty well exercise-wise considering your time restraints. I would also consider upping your calories- not all the time- maybe 1500 a few days a week and 1200 a couple days a week. I work 12 hrs shifts 2-3 days a week and I tend to not eat much on work days owing to time constraints, then I eat "normally" the rest of the time. Alternating calorie consumption seems to work for me- shakes things up a bit. It's especially helpful when dealing with stalls/pauses in weight loss. Good luck!
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming that you have no kids, so you should have time. Sorry. You can make time, especially if you have a day off. If you have a desk job, you're pretty much just sitting all day, so even if you're working overtime, it's not like you're that exhausted from something like walking on your feet all day. Exercise more and remember that you're not going to lose weight each week.
  • SkinnyWannabeGal
    SkinnyWannabeGal Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Doing a little bit of walking before work, during your lunch break and after work really helps. I had trained myself to wake up earlier to fit in some morning exercise, eat faster during lunch so I can use some of my lunch break to take a quick walk and to not watch tv after work so I can use that time to workout a little. I'm a mom and finding "me" time can be quite difficult when I have a little one to cook meals for, get ready for school, help with homework, get ready for bed, etc. Making time to exercise in a busy day is so hard, I know. But tiny increments of exercise can add up! Try hard to make time for yourself and your health. You are so worth it!
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like you're getting adequate exercise most of the time, but, as others have said, I think you might not be eating enough. To increase the intensity of your walk to work, you could try adding ankle or hand weights (maybe alternate days). Since your level of exercise is a bit variable from day to day, you might do better following the MFP plan, where you start with a minimum balance of calories (probably 1200 for your height and weight) and eat back at least some of your exercise calories. Whatever changes you make, it's wise to continue with a plan for a month or two before you try something else.
  • tjsoccermom
    tjsoccermom Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Try working out before work, that way you'll have fit it in even if you work overtime. You're young, you have a lot more time that you realize, you just have to make it important. If I can fit it in with 2 kids in sports, volunteering, a full time job, a part time job and a spouse that works evenings which leaves meals and home work help to me, then you can fit it in. Just set a schedule and stick with it. 1200 calories is also too low. Ditch the scale, figure out your TDEE and eat more and move more. You can do this!
  • sola24
    Options
    Thanks a lot everyone.. I am feeling so much more motivated after reading the post. I am going to up both calorie intake and exercise and hope it works. May be getting up a little early and squeezing in 30 mins of workout before morning shower will help?
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot everyone.. I am feeling so much more motivated after reading the post. I am going to up both calorie intake and exercise and hope it works. May be getting up a little early and squeezing in 30 mins of workout before morning shower will help?

Honestly, you need to make the time. I don't know what kind of desk job you have, but my desk job is 12 hours a day which starts at 5:30 AM, and I still find time to train for my half marathon. If that means getting up super early then I get up super early, if that means running in the evening then I run in the evening and eat dinner late.
  • sola24
    Options
    I am a software engineer... that means I work from office from 9am-7pm.. then again most of the days I connect back from home from 10pm-11.30-12pm. I do household chores too.. like cooking dinner.. cleaning.. and the ocassional washing clothes as I like as a paying guest.. I have to do everything myself.
  • ssm_1972
    ssm_1972 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I am a software engineer... that means I work from office from 9am-7pm.. then again most of the days I connect back from home from 10pm-11.30-12pm. I do household chores too.. like cooking dinner.. cleaning.. and the ocassional washing clothes as I like as a paying guest.. I have to do everything myself.

In that case, ensure that you are eating back the calorie gain from exercises, which is 200-250 I guess. Still, in my opinion 1200 is less.
  • RotterdamNL
    RotterdamNL Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Everything has been said already.

Eat better and check what you are eating, force yourself for the workout, imo zumba kinda sucks with burning cals, get T25, insanity, les mills combat, stuff like that. If you dont have money for it, no worries, ask one of your friends where to get it for free on the internet, he gets the point.

Also what could work really well for you is 30 day shred, this is more focussed towards women and the sessions are on youtube.
    Or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqYzLInp-UI&list=UUiP6wD_tYlYLYh3agzbByWQ which is a 27 min interval
  • RotterdamNL
    RotterdamNL Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    And? Excuses, excuses
    Im older than you(meaning it gets more difficult when your older to lose weight), got more weight to carry around and have been doing everything myself too as i have no fam, i work as a freelance webdesigner, do voluntary work, cook, clean, have very little money due to financial **** from the past but yet i do a workout directly when i get up, one an hour or 2 before i go to bed and sometimes i drop by the gym also when i got time left sometimes.
  • ST99000722
    ST99000722 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you've tried it, but if not you might want to give the 30 day shred a look.
    I'm in a similar situation to you work wise and I think it really helps make the best of the 30 mins I use to exercise when I get home from work. I tend to do it 4 days a week.
    I'm also the same height as you when I was around your weight I was netting 1300 to lose.

Hope that helps :)
  • sola24
    Options
    The 30 days shred sounds good.. I know I have a lot of excuses but at the same time it took me a lot to start exercising which I havent done in like 10 years.. Now I am just trying to keep myself motivated.. and work at it slowly. I know it will not happen overweight and I am gonna fall from the wagon.. especially since festive time is coming for us next month and I am going home
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I used to think that as well--BUT found the time to walk on my lunch breaks, walk up and down stairs on a break. Things like that--you will be surprised where you can sneak in a little exercise. I also kept a set of ankle weights at my desk to do leg lifts while I was working--then you can take one off and lift it will you are on the phone. SEE??? lots of ways to sneak in a little workout.
This discussion has been closed.