Exercising on Night Shifts!

Options

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Fine,

l8dncIT.png?2

Maybe you're right and my tone could be better. You should order this book about things that people use as excuses and perhaps you'll find the author's tone more pleasant than mine
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks for all the positive replies! As for the negative replies - I'm actually a critical care nurse so sometimes I'm super rushed off my feet especially when trying to save someone's life. And sometimes, just sometimes, I don't feel like working out after that!
    You know what? I get this. I really do. I'm an overnight ER vet tech. I spend my nights saving lives. After watching a cat asphyxiate in it's own lung fluid and suffer horribly with each breath until it dies because it's owner doesn't believe in euthanasia, I throw all that emotion into my workout. After pulling a 200 lb mastiff out of a car and performing CPR, that gets taken out in my workout. After placing an iv catheter in a pit bull in the midst of a grand mal seizure (moving target!), that emotion goes into my workout. After saving a blocked cat's life, that goes into my workout. All the horrible and wonderful things that happen on my shift are my fuel. When I get home, I sleep better having gotten it out of my system.
  • steviex_xo
    Options
    Fine,

l8dncIT.png?2

Maybe you're right and my tone could be better. You should order this book about things that people use as excuses and perhaps you'll find the author's tone more pleasant than mine

No need to be a **** though is there! And just for the record I'm no where need fat, so joke's on you! And my post was about exercising on my one week of nights a month. On my days off I run 10 miles a day, plus my strength exercises, plus whatever else I do and in fact, why am I explaining myself to some loser over the internet (probably not in my country) who's probably way fatter than I'll ever be and who I'll never meet! So bye!
  • steviex_xo
    Options
    Does anyone know if I can close this topic? I don't need this **** lol
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Also, last night was my fourth 12 hour overnight in a row. I'm on my way to the gym right now.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Fine,

l8dncIT.png?2

No need to be a **** though is there! And just for the record I'm no where need fat, so joke's on you! And my post was about exercising on my one week of nights a month. On my days off I run 10 miles a day, plus my strength exercises, plus whatever else I do and in fact, why am I explaining myself to some loser over the internet (probably not in my country) who's probably way fatter than I'll ever be and who I'll never meet! So bye!

Came in to help.
    Saw the attitude.
    Turning around and leaving.

Good luck.

Ps - many of us who work shift work also deal with high stress/life or death situation on the regular.
  • steviex_xo
    Options
    Fine,

l8dncIT.png?2

Came in to help.
    Saw the attitude.

Good luck.

Ps - many of us who work shift work also deal with high stress/life or death situation on the regular.

Maybe some people can deal with things better than I can then! Like a lot of normal people can't run 10miles plus every day, I can, I wouldn't be mean to them!

Like I said, I just want to close the topic now. Thanks for the reply.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks for all the positive replies! As for the negative replies - I'm actually a critical care nurse so sometimes I'm super rushed off my feet especially when trying to save someone's life. And sometimes, just sometimes, I don't feel like working out after that! I must try and put my feelings to one side next time!

On a less sarcastic note, I am going to be trying to work out more often after a night shift but find I am really tired already and wouldn't be able to do my usual workout, but every little helps I suppose! I'm also going to take some of my own snacks and try to resist :)

I realize you're being sarcastic here but you have hit on the answer.

I've got chronic fatigue syndrome, among other things. There are times when I don't feel like working out. Best thing I ever did fitness-wise was to stop letting my feelings be the deciding factor in whether or not I do what needs to be done. Make a commitment to work out, and then don't let it be a question of whether you're going to go. Don't even have that conversation in your head. Just go because you committed to go.
  • steviex_xo
    Options
    Wow thanks for all the positive replies! As for the negative replies - I'm actually a critical care nurse so sometimes I'm super rushed off my feet especially when trying to save someone's life. And sometimes, just sometimes, I don't feel like working out after that! I must try and put my feelings to one side next time!

On a less sarcastic note, I am going to be trying to work out more often after a night shift but find I am really tired already and wouldn't be able to do my usual workout, but every little helps I suppose! I'm also going to take some of my own snacks and try to resist :)

I realize you're being sarcastic here but you have hit on the answer.

I've got chronic fatigue syndrome, among other things. There are times when I don't feel like working out. Best thing I ever did fitness-wise was to stop letting my feelings be the deciding factor in whether or not I do what needs to be done. Make a commitment to work out, and then don't let it be a question of whether you're going to go. Don't even have that conversation in your head. Just go because you committed to go.

Thank You! This is just what I needed! This sounds like great advice. I start them in two weeks so really going to try this and make sure I go for at least an hour run every morning when I finish. Thanks again :)
  • skrakalaka
    skrakalaka Posts: 338 Member
    Options

I'm also a critical care nurse who works 12's. I find it much easier to work out before my shift than after. I usually set my alarm for 4:30 and work out before work, that way I still get a good sleep. I used to work out after nights but I fell asleep on a treadmill once, not cool. On days that I'm just too tired to get up and work out, I skip the workout and do stairs on my breaks.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    There's not a single negative reply in this thread.

Then maybe some people should realise how others may take their words. And maybe some others could be a little more encouraging, maybe it's not as simple to me just do to exercises after a busy night shift. I was after some encouragement, that's all.

Perhaps you should realize that attacking people who come to help you isn't the best plan for receiving continued support. Put another way, you get back what you put out. Anyway, I'm out. Best of luck. :flowerforyou:
  • steviex_xo
    Options

Then maybe some people should realise how others may take their words. And maybe some others could be a little more encouraging, maybe it's not as simple to me just do to exercises after a busy night shift. I was after some encouragement, that's all.

Perhaps you should realize that attacking people who come to help you isn't the best plan for receiving continued support. Put another way, you get back what you put out. Anyway, I'm out. Best of luck. :flowerforyou:

I think it's pretty clear who was rather rude first. If you talk to me like crap, expect it back ten times worse. So yes you are right :)
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Fine,

l8dncIT.png?2

Came in to help.
    Saw the attitude.

Good luck.

Nothing Dav said wasn't true. He is blunt and to the point. Just because you decided to take it in a negative tone doesn't mean it was said in one...that's called projecting.

And just to add...shaming/insulting people on their size (whether they are here to lose weight or not) is not only against the CG but frowned upon on a whole. Also, it tends to tell people about you and makes them less helpful in the future.

Best of luck OP...I guess.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

I think it's pretty clear who was rather rude first. If you talk to me like crap, expect it back ten times worse. So yes you are right :)

I have children so I'm already accustomed to temper tantrums.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    I find it easier to work out when I'm on night shifts. You end up going to the gym when no one else is there which is great. I also throw in some bodyweight exercises whilst I'm working to pass the time and keep the blood flowing so I'm wide awake all shift.

It's only your negative outlook that's holding you back.
  • leadcrow
    leadcrow Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    ...so according to the rules trolling is not allowed. I think posting pictures of a book saying 'stay fat then' and 'there, there' is pretty rude and I would consider it trolling.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    ...so according to the rules trolling is not allowed. I think posting pictures of a book saying 'stay fat then' and 'there, there' is pretty rude and I would consider it trolling.

What's wrong with the book? Have you read it? It's about fitness, weight management, and the excuses people make. Look it up before claiming that it is insulting and trolling.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Have you read the book? But thanks for you interpretation of the rules. I found it stimulating.

What part of the rules covers the post where the OP questioned what country I'm from and called me names? Well, at least you didn't find that rude at all.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    OP, you realise your stress argument is completely invalid?

Exercise helps to manage and prevent stress, so it is something you should be making time for if your job is stressful.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S027273589900032X

As a medical professional I would have thought you were aware of this.
This discussion has been closed.