Kettlebells?

Options
I've seen people at my gym using kettlebells and they seem like a good workout. Has anyone tried them? Are they worth it, and if so, are there any free online workouts that I will be able to use?

Thanks!

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    There's like, a million free online kettlebell workouts
  • Nickle526
    Nickle526 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I got into them after reading Josh Hanagarne's memoir. There is lots of workouts on youtube.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Here's the cool thing about working out at a gym. There are all these people doing different workouts, and if you are curious about what they are doing, they often will talk to you if you introduce yourself nicely. They may even tell you about their workout.
  • beaches222
    beaches222 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same. I bought a couple but never used them yet. lol
  • dragonfly_em
    dragonfly_em Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Marianne Kane myomytv - great videos
    http://www.myomytv.com

Can you do a class or workshop to give it a try and learn the basic moves and see if it's your thing?
  • cpego1
    cpego1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I used them for first time with my trainer yesterday. Did a squat and had some cardio involved and it kicked my butt. But I am just getting started in the work out area. But I loved working with them.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I'm big on mixing things up to keep your muscles 'confused' and keeping workouts interesting. Kettlebells are a great tool for doing just that. Most exercised you do with a dumbbell can be done with kettlebells.
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Zuzana Light is coming out with one soon She kicks tush! I cannot wait I already started her 5 min morning kettlebel swings!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    kettlebells = a dumbbell with a handle.

Seriously. There are very few exercises that are "KB exercises" that cannot be done with a dumbbell.

It's not magic- just do the same with a dumbbell- a weigh is a weight is a weight.
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    kettlebells = a dumbbell with a handle.

Seriously. There are very few exercises that are "KB exercises" that cannot be done with a dumbbell.

It's not magic- just do the same with a dumbbell- a weigh is a weight is a weight.

I agree, but I find some exercise are more comfortable with the kettlebell ( I did swings with a dumbell and a kettlebell yesterday for example) (also plank drags (sorry if improper name))
  • Alehmer
    Alehmer Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    +1

I can do anything I have ever seen with a KB with a DB, and a couple plate-loaded DBs with plate weights are a LOT cheaper than a room full of KBs.

For some things they are a bit more comfortable, but that's about it.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I agree, but I find some exercise are more comfortable with the kettlebell ( I did swings with a dumbell and a kettlebell yesterday for example) (also plank drags (sorry if improper name))
    I do my swings with a 25 lb plate weight- it only becomes a problem around 50 lbs that I prefer the KB. But- it's really 6/1 12 dozen kind of thing. Plank drags do with a flat plate weight and it's fine as well.
    +1

I can do anything I have ever seen with a KB with a DB, and a couple plate-loaded DBs with plate weights are a LOT cheaper than a room full of KBs.

For some things they are a bit more comfortable, but that's about it.

pretty much.

I work at a gym and I do mostly BB/DB work- but occasionally I bogard my friends KB- but it's rare- mostly I just use the DB's. It's not worth the hassle.

If I didn't go to a gym- I'd probably invest in a 2 x 25 lb KBs and one 45 or 50 lb. But I much MUCH prefer working out at the gym- I'm probably moving soon- so I'll have to find a new gym- might make do with a KB at home for the mean time because I DO like them- I do- but I'm not going out of my way to buy one just because it's fancy smancy. Would be a nice thing to keep at the house for a quick workout.
  • Mcerra13
    Mcerra13 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    To the OP-I have been doing kettlebell workouts for a while at my gym and it is a pretty amazing workout. My recommendation is to do a couple of workouts with someone with experience first b/c IMO, it is easy to injure your low back and/or shoulders with poor form. Form is obviously important with any workout but with KB it is ultra important.
  • wildrose957498
    wildrose957498 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    This what I was interested in, KBs, but also worried about my severe back problems. I have arthritis and degenaritive (sp? sorry) disk disease, but I was told about KB classes and was interested, but at a $100 a month I cannot afford that on my tight SS budget. I also seen from the other comments that being in a class might be more of a movitator, but where do I find them in my area? I looked online, but everything I found was an hour or more away.