Top 10 Reasons to avoid soy at all costs

Options

Replies

• eblakes93
    eblakes93 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Eh.

I eat soy (besides what is in my processed cafeteria food that I don't know about) infrequently - tofu every once in a while, usually if I'm having a thai food.

Do I trust Monsanto? No.

Have I read anything that would convince me to cut out all soy forever? No.

I think moderation is key.
  • bhsishtla
    bhsishtla Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Seeing as one of those links is Mercola, I'm just gonna say ignore it.

I eat plenty of soy, soy is good for you. Ask the people of Asia, who eat tons of it, and tend to live much longer and healthier lives.
  • darla499
    darla499 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Hearing it from real people is what I am looking for.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Seeing as one of those links is Mercola, I'm just gonna say ignore it.

I eat plenty of soy, soy is good for you. Ask the people of Asia, who eat tons of it, and tend to live much longer and healthier lives.

^ This.

So much of this. It seems that the popular press and the fringe "experts" (Mercola, Dr. Oz, Lustig, etc.) make their livings by spreading fear and panic by simultaneously demonizing and glorifying the most mundane of foods and marginal of products.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    More dodgy science. Just because it's on the internet doesn't mean it's true or well researched. Try some critical thinking people and don't take the headlines at face value.
  • ThriftyChica12
    ThriftyChica12 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I eat soy almost daily:

the only soy i have every had any problems with (gas, diarrhea, painful BMs) is CRAZILY processed soy, as in, "vegan chicken wings" or "bacon"....that stuff is awesome, and keeps me sane when i need a treat, but i pay for it the next day, and it does not feel right in my body.

tofu? tempeh? edamame? NEVER HAD A SINGLE PROBLEM. buy organic and you're fine. these are daily staple in my diet. great source of protein....

i can, and do, eat raw (bland) tofu straight from the block. at this point in my life, i swear it tastes like ricotta cheese....but i also think that salad greens with sesame tahini dressing "tastes like a Big Mac" (reminds me of special sauce), and i can brown rice with nutritional yeast "mac n cheez"

ahhh, the joys of being a crazy, happy, well fed vegan :)
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I live in China right now and soy is everywhere yet people are healthy and stick thin. Fresh hot soy milk is a morning staple in the city I live in (despite the heat and humidity of daily life in the sub-tropics) and soy and soy bi-products are in everything. Yet people are healthier than anywhere else I've lived outside of the US (Northern Europe, Mexico and Morocco) which are heavy meat, dairy and grain eating countries.

I say if Asians have been eating it in copious quantities for thousands of years and suffering from less health problems than us westerners, I'm not going to listen to some alleged food experts or the FDA who only have 100 years or less of experience.
  • Patzycakes
    Patzycakes Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I eat soy all the time. Love it.

Never had an issue. I eat everything from tofu to soy yogurt and all weird faux food products inbetween (although I tend to like non soy based faux meats better, they get a better texture).
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    None of those links is a credible source. Soy isn't my favorite thing, but I like having some edamame, and tempeh is divine.
  • pan0ramic
    Options
    The fermented soy (tempeh, natto) recommendation is something I've heard many times over.

Otherwise, the science might be there that soy is bad for you but it's hard to tell since I wasn't able to find the science studies from your links, and some of the links led to biased sources (those with an anti-soy agenda).

Perhaps just best to try to go with fermented and otherwise eat soy in moderation: which always seems to be the case with all food.

(Note: I'm vegan and eat soy daily)
  • SkinnyWannabeGal
    SkinnyWannabeGal Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I've replaced my soy milk with almond milk a few months ago. I do still eat soy though, just in moderation. I eat natto because I know it's good for me. I eat edamame from time to time too. I substitute tofu for starches sometimes. I also drink miso soup. I would say that I went from eating soy daily to enjoying soy products once a week or once every 2 weeks. I could never completely cut it out of my diet though.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Hmm...seems legit..........

.....Nooooooot.
  • Care76
    Care76 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I do not like soy and I personally don't think it is healthy for us. That said, I think it is the processed or genetically modified soy in US and Canada that could be the problem. I get migraines whenever I eat soy (even organic soy). But for some reason when I was in Mexico I ate soy and it didn't bother me. Leads me to believe in other countries it isn't as harmful and actually healthy.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    ...I think it is the processed or genetically modified soy in US and Canada that could be the problem. I get migraines whenever I eat soy (even organic soy). But for some reason when I was in Mexico I ate soy and it didn't bother me. Leads me to believe in other countries it isn't as harmful and actually healthy.

I don't agree with you. However, you can be sure that you aren't eating GM soy in the U.S., by buying certified organic soy products - easy solution.
  • AccioHotBod
    AccioHotBod Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    One of the articles cited as "evidence" against consuming soy products:

Persistent sexual arousal syndrome associated with increased soy intake.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16422864?dopt=Abstract
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    One of the articles cited as "evidence" against consuming soy products:

Persistent sexual arousal syndrome associated with increased soy intake.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16422864?dopt=Abstract

cue the posts from wives complaining about their husbands' sudden interest in force feeding them tofu . . .
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    i love tahini over chicken shwarma, and did not realize it was soy... its the only thing i like.

I dont wish to read all 10 links to find out if tahini is gonna hurt me, but by the rest of you all's answers, I think I will continue to eat tahini as much as I want.