Running when overweight?

Options
Something I've always wanted to train myself to do was run for long distances, but I recently read that anyone either heavy or overweight just shouldn't run at all because they'll basically massacre their knees?
Is this true? Am I doomed to forever use the elliptical?
Elliptical's not gangster at all :grumble:
I'm 210lbs and 6'2, so about 20lbs overweight.

Replies

• hisbeautifulangel
    Options
    Something I've always wanted to train myself to do was run for long distances, but I recently read that anyone either heavy or overweight just shouldn't run at all because they'll basically massacre their knees?

Maybe work up to it? I am 5'6" started at 214 lbs. I started cardio workout videos, got down to 208 and then increased my workouts. I am now 199 and jog at a good pace and I don't have any knee problems. I can also run further than I ever could since I worked my endurance and fitness up.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    i'm 5 11" and 239 pounds and running 25 miles a week my knees are fine. I started running at around 280. As long as you gradually build up you should have no problems it's just getting your body used to it. Oh and get some good shoes that makes a lot of difference
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Just go out and start walking and running. When you can, run, when you run out of breath walk. If your knees hurt, change shoes or try minimalist. Some heavier people can run, others can't. The only way to find out is to get out there and try.

I started running when I was about 220 pounds or so and I had finally built up to about 20 minutes on the elliptical. I did plenty of hiking and my running was horrendous, but I just kept going. After several years, I injured my knee in an unrelated sports accident and I'm back down to mostly 5km runs. It's frustrating but you gotta just keep moving. Besides, I hate treadmills and the elliptical.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    why not start with intervals of walking fast and jogging.. focus on your form when doing both.. eventually you can work up to full running. regulate your breathing while doing it too. I am working on this too. Don't forget to do your stretches and eat protein after workouts.
  • LumpySpacePrincess1
    Options
    Awesome. I already know from the past that running outdoors is something my knees can't manage, but I can run for a good length of time on the treadmill without issue.
    Just don't want to wake up one day with no knees at all, just floppy tendons attached to shins. :noway:
    Thanks everyone! Too bad there's no 'like' button.
  • LumpySpacePrincess1
    Options
    i'm 5 11" and 239 pounds and running 25 miles a week my knees are fine. I started running at around 280. As long as you gradually build up you should have no problems it's just getting your body used to it. Oh and get some good shoes that makes a lot of difference
    You inspire me, cat.
  • lonnieart
    lonnieart Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    It all depends. It's the case with most things. I've had knee pains off and on since I was about 11, and I was never overweight until age 18. Running can definitely aggravate knee problems, ESPECIALLY if you're overweight, and I wouldn't doubt that it can cause them. But if you've had knee pains in the past, I definitely would use caution. If you haven't, well, I don't know.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Well I ran when I was overweight and my knees are fine. Make sure you have good shoes and pace yourself. If you are worried, use ellipticals until you lose a bit of weight-- you'll still be building up endurance and working out your cardiovascular system, so you'll be able to run later on.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Build up a good cardio base with being able to walk 30 minutes at a brisk pace on a regular basis. Make sure you have good running shoes. Then, start an interval program like Couch to 5k.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I think obesity is worse for your knees than running, and if you do it right, meaning go nice a slow so you can sustain your pace or do the jeff Galloway system of run walk intervals, you should be golden
  • tejasmh87
    tejasmh87 Posts: 91 Member
    Options

OP,

I am 26 yr old, 285lbs / 5ft 11in female that does 5Ks races on the weekends and training runs between 3-5 miles during the week.

I started with the Couch to 5K training and moved on from there- slow internal training to get your stamina and endurance built up.

Next year's goal is to run 5mile and 10K races with a timed goal in mind, right now I sit around the 50 minute mark.

Trust me you can train to run long distances :) If my fat *kitten* can at 75lbs heavier than you (and its not muscle) then you can as well.

If you have a smartphone just look up for 5K apps for the internal training; look into RunKeeper for GPS, then walk out your door. You will be surprised at how well you will progress. :)
  • anallydiaz
    anallydiaz Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I started woring out 5 months ago, I started at 225lbs and I am 5'4''. I have plantar fasciitis and my knees used to hurt a lot after working out.I didn't wan to go to the doctor because I thought I was just overweight and had to get used to it. My boyfriend convinced me to make an appointment and I am so glad I did. Doctor will tell you which shoes and insoles to use. I have no knee pain now. It makes a huge difference.
  • Imcharmed
    Imcharmed Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Give it a go. I just started jogging, at 200lbs, and im 5'2. I've not encountered back knees yet. As mentioned about, start by walking then jogging. You'll work up to straight jogging. Good luck.
  • glreim21
    glreim21 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I started running 4 years ago at 260 lbs. I followed a run/walk program slowly building running time, somedays it felt impossible and I ahead to repeat several weeks but since then I have completed countless 5 and 10 km races, 4 half marathons and a sprint triathlon. As long as you take it slow and listen to your body you should be alright. But get properly fitted for running shoes at a real running store first!!!
  • LumpySpacePrincess1
    Options

OP,

I am 26 yr old, 285lbs / 5ft 11in female that does 5Ks races on the weekends and training runs between 3-5 miles during the week.

I started with the Couch to 5K training and moved on from there- slow internal training to get your stamina and endurance built up.

Next year's goal is to run 5mile and 10K races with a timed goal in mind, right now I sit around the 50 minute mark.

Trust me you can train to run long distances :) If my fat *kitten* can at 75lbs heavier than you (and its not muscle) then you can as well.

If you have a smartphone just look up for 5K apps for the internal training; look into RunKeeper for GPS, then walk out your door. You will be surprised at how well you will progress. :)
    Ah, you're awesome! That's so great, thanks for the amazing tips.
    I'm starting tomorrow. *Solemnly swears*
  • RockingThis
    Options
    It's killer on my knees. I will try again after a while. I was100lbs overweight at first, I am almost 30 down now. I get on my tredmil put pandora on and warm up. Then i run/jog for an amount of time then walk for a short time then run/jog. I keep doing this i start out walking more than running and then walk less, run more.. i start running/jogging for a few songs at a time. You feel amazing afterward! (: But if i start to feel any pain i usually stop, I've also got some degeitive discs the middle of my spine and it can be very painful. I'm working on lessening the pain though. (:
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    It really not the weight as much is the condition you are in. I'm 6'3" and 210 lbs. I run at least 5k every day on average.

I also suffer from a joint disease that I monitor my knees a little closer than most.

Your body really has to be use to the pounding and punishment you put it through. You really shouldn't go for long distance at first. Like some have mentioned, walk then run. If you have to stop, its more than normal to do so. Just go slow on the speed and distance and everything will work better in the long run(no pun).

Good luck!
  • Cowgal23
    Cowgal23 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I would build yourself up to running long distances. I'm 235lbs and 6' and I'm just starting to slowly run a little. I have knee problems so I have to really watch how much I run and what exercises I do. But I used to run when I was around 212lbs and my knee acted up a little bit but not much I just watched my knees closely.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    I started running when I weight around 280, on a 5'3" frame. I also have osteoarthritis in one knee. My doctor had me start out with intervals to give my joints time to adjust, she also had me ice my knee after every run, whether it felt like it needed it or not. It worked. At this point I run regularly with no knee pain.

Weighted squats are part of my strength training ruytine. My osteo recommended them over a decade ago when I first injured my knee, but umm, I just started doing them this year :laugh: Anyway, they have made a huge difference.
  • cecpowers
    Options
    I am 5'2" and 155lbs. I run ultra distances (50miles) and have had some problem with tendonitis in both feet but work through it. I have gone to physio therapists which have never told me I shouldn't be running (as I have been told my entire childhood). I would never let my weight stop me from running as it is far too enjoyable!

Of course I didn't start running long distance straight away. Run when you can then walk when you need to. That's how all (even the top guys) do ultras.