My new plan for vacation

Options
Several days back I posted asking for ideas for vacation time when I won't have access to a computer or the internet. I came up with a plan which I think will work great! I really do well when I plan my food for the day at the beginning of the day and then just follow the plan. So for vacation I will plan my days out on index cards, listing the meals, snacks, calories used and leave a space to mark the water. On days where we may go out for a meal I will plan a light breakfast, lunch and leave extra calories available for the dinner meal. Then I'm going to take with me a calorie counting book because I will need to look up foods from going out to dinner and if I need to add extra food due to exercise. I'm thinking this may be a good plan for me because it keeps me in the habit of planning out my day in advance. Also I'll keep a journal writing down what exercise I got in for the day and how I did on my calorie count. Any other ideas or suggestions?

Replies

• ruch69
    ruch69 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I know everyone is different, but do you think it is really necessary to do this on a holiday? Just chill out & enjoy you time off !! Eat sensibly as I am sure you normally do & do try the local delicacies. That is normally the part I enjoy the most !! ( which is why I am on this forum !!! ).
    Anyways things are a little different for our bodies on vacation...i.e the weather, food, the way we move our bodies...maybe swim more, or mountain climb or kayak etc. That is a shock enough. Also the rest it gets is of a different kind?
    All these things will help you keep your weight under control.
    I ate cheese, chocolate, cold cuts , bread, etc which I don't eat on a normal basis..... when I was in Switzerland & did not put on a kilo ! Probable walking up & down mountains !!! which I don't normally do !!! So I guess it all evens out...
    So go & enjoy your holiday...I'm certain you deserve it !
    Cheers....
    Ruchira
  • tammyhoff2004
    Options
    I did that for our annual river trip this year and it worked out great!!! I took snacks that we could eat that I wouldn't feel threatened by and it took 5 calorie Kool-Aid powders to add to my water and didn't gain a pound. We're planning our anniversary trip to Chicago next month and it will be a wee more difficult but I plan to do the same. You can do it!! Good planning!! I do better myself when I know what lies ahead of me for the day. I have faith you'll be just fine!! God bless you!! :drinker:
  • Becka77
    Becka77 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I'm going to Vegas in October and I plan to write everything down, although counting calories is going to be really hard since we will be eating out a lot and there is a BIG group going and who knows where we will end up so I can't plan out my meals in advance. However, after you have been counting calories for a while, which I have even before MFP, you begin to just "know" what you can and can't eat. I mean, I know that I can probably go anywhere for breakfast and have a couple of eggs, toast with a side of fruit and be OK, but I can't have the giant stack of chocolate chip pancakes with scrambled eggs, hashbrowns and sausage on the side. LOL

*Off topic: What I'm most disappointed about is that I have always wanted to go to the Bally's Champagne Brunch which is suppose to be one of the best buffets in the world and costs like a $100 and for the first time I will actually be in Vegas on a Sunday and able to attend, and even have friends who want to go, but... now the thought of wasting $100 on food when I know I won't be able to eat much just doesn' t appeal to me. And, it's not that I wouldn't go and try and call it a major splurge, but since changing my eating habits I physically just can't eat very much at a time, and the thought of gorging myself literally turns my stomach. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to take my $100 and go shopping. LOL
  • stongue
    stongue Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    "I know everyone is different, but do you think it is really necessary to do this on a holiday? Just chill out & enjoy you time off !! Eat sensibly as I am sure you normally do & do try the local delicacies. That is normally the part I enjoy the most !! ( which is why I am on this forum !!! ). "

Thank you all for your input. I function better when I plan out my day in advance. I guess I'm a creature of habit. But I won't hesitate to try something if it looks good and adjust the calories to allow for it. Or exercise a little more. I'm going to the ocean so heaven knows there will be plenty of things I can do for exercise. In the past when I haven't planned and just planned on "relaxing and having a good time," I gained weight. So this time I'm still gonna relax and have a good time but keep things under control:)

"I'm going to Vegas in October and I plan to write everything down, although counting calories is going to be really hard since we will be eating out a lot and there is a BIG group going and who knows where we will end up so I can't plan out my meals in advance."

I hope you have a fantastic time in Vegas. You will find a way to work it out I'm sure. Have fun with your friends:)

"I did that for our annual river trip this year and it worked out great!!! I took snacks that we could eat that I wouldn't feel threatened by and it took 5 calorie Kool-Aid powders to add to my water and didn't gain a pound. We're planning our anniversary trip to Chicago next month and it will be a wee more difficult but I plan to do the same. You can do it!! Good planning!! I do better myself when I know what lies ahead of me for the day. I have faith you'll be just fine!! God bless you."

Thank you very much:) I love your ideas about the snacks and the 5 calorie sleeves of drink mix. We did that in Disney...forgot about that:) Happy upcoming anniversary and Chicago is fantastic. Make sure you take a ride down Lakeshore Drive. Beautiful!
  • Stewie316
    Stewie316 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    As long as it doesn't take away from the fun of your vacation, it sounds like a good ideal. Try not to be too strict though, it is your vacation so splurge a little. I just got back from a week long vacation and gained 5 pounds. I wish I would've planned my food.