More Calories---lose weight? HELP!

Options
How does this REALLY work?
I have a friend who is 5'1", doing 1200 calories a day---running 3 miles 3x a week, and doing other exercise classes 1-2 time a week, and all summer has only lost 3 lbs, but needs 20 or so for a healthy BMI.
What is the deal??

Please, any input is great!!

Amy--who is on the beach!

Replies

• Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    A lot of people swear that it helps kick start your metabolism.... but I tried it, and it didn't work... so I dunno??
  • RachSuzanne
    RachSuzanne Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    She's probably gained muscle to replace the fat. I hate BMI. I am an extremely muscular girl. I have always been oddly strong and weigh more than people think because of my muscle mass. This of course means that when I want to lose weight it happens fairly quickly. I lost 2lbs this week eating 1800 calories a day only doing 30-45 minutes of cardio.

If you're friend had little muscle to begin with, she may be gaining muscle to replace most of the fat she is losing. Is she getting smaller? Tape measures are your friend.

On the other side of the coin: if she is running 9miles a day, she needs to eat to compensate for the calories she using. A body needs recovery time and energy (calories) to use for recovery. Whether she would lose faster, I don't know. But I do know she would be more fit.

Is she including strength training? The more muscle you have the faster you burn. Perhaps she could replace one of her 3 miles runs with strength exercises.

I sort of jumped around there.... sorry... hope you get what I mean.
  • TabiHerbalifeCoach
    TabiHerbalifeCoach Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    well this depends on a lot of things, but i was doing something very similar 1200 cals, i upped them to 1500 and the weight is starting to come off, your friend has to find the right balance for her body.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Every person is different. I didn't really lose at 1200 calories a day but started losing pretty steadily at 1400 per day. Hers may be coming off slowly because she's overexercising. I lost the best when I exercised for 30 minutes 3 times per week. As I got closer to my goal weight, I upped my exercise. I still don't do it more than 4-5 days per week. Your body needs rest.