"Forbidden Fruit"

Options
I have a hard time eating the amount of fruit we should have in our diets, so a few days ago, I decided to all new fruit, what I mean is fruit I have never tried. The first one I tried was a Pluot. It tasted like a plum, but not sure what else was mixed with it. The next on was called a Sprite Melon, which was awesome. Its the mixture of a watermelon, Cantalope and a pear, It had a mild, sweet taste to it tastes great.... I also tried a new vegetable, parsnips. They had a nice taste too. So if anyone out there knows any new fruit or veggies, please give me some suggestions.:tongue:

Replies

• fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    I saw a segment on Dr. Oz about Mangosteen. It's apparently going to be another "superfood". I haven't been able to find it here though. I should look around more...if you can find it, let me know.

For veggies, I love Bok Choy....sauteed in a little water until wilted. Served with a small squeeze of lemon juice over top. I'm not one for wilted food (spinach, kale, etc.) but this I could eat easily.
  • vanessa_wilson
    Options
    Mangosteen is my fave. I eat a lot of those when I last visited the Philippines. I think It's only found in tropical countries.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    If you've never tried spaghetti squash, try it! It's a great substitute for pasta. When you scrape out the part you eat after cooking it, it looks like spaghetti. Very mild flavor- I like it with fresh diced tomatoes and ground turkey.
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    Oooh...I was going to write spaghetti squash, but I eat so much of it....LOL I figure everyone else does too. I love it with a little bit of butter (3 tsp does us for about 6 servings) and some sauteed garlic.....YUMMMMM Love it with everything. Very mild flavor indeed. I could eat it by itself or as a side instead of a starch with my meal.
  • hawaiibound
    Options
    my favorite fruit of all time is Apple Banana's from Hawaii....I was there for 3 weeks and ate probably 30-40 of them if not more haha. About a bunch a day....they don't have the same texture or taste of a banana!
  • bikinibrooke123
    Options
    If you've never tried spaghetti squash, try it! It's a great substitute for pasta. When you scrape out the part you eat after cooking it, it looks like spaghetti. Very mild flavor- I like it with fresh diced tomatoes and ground turkey.

It's Goood!
  • talenamarie
    Options
    My favorite fruit for this week is Black Plums & Calamansi. I was never really a fruit and veggie eater until I decided to watch my weight, what myself & my family eat. I also like our local (Guam) grown Papya, Banana's & Mango's. Wish I could find all of the other fruits people have mentioned. I am always up to trying something new. Have a great week everyone.
  • talenamarie
    Options
    My favorite fruit for this week is Black Plums & Calamansi. I was never really a fruit and veggie eater until I decided to watch my weight, what myself & my family eat. I also like our local (Guam) grown Papya, Banana's & Mango's. Wish I could find all of the other fruits people have mentioned. I am always up to trying something new. Have a great week everyone.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time eating the amount of fruit we should have in our diets, so a few days ago, I decided to all new fruit, what I mean is fruit I have never tried. The first one I tried was a Pluot. It tasted like a plum, but not sure what else was mixed with it. The next on was called a Sprite Melon, which was awesome. Its the mixture of a watermelon, Cantalope and a pear, It had a mild, sweet taste to it tastes great.... I also tried a new vegetable, parsnips. They had a nice taste too. So if anyone out there knows any new fruit or veggies, please give me some suggestions.:tongue:
    my friends mom makes parsnip cookies....and they are OFF THE CHAIN!!!! Can't have them anymore, but i'm not kidding she would make like 2 dozen or more and between the 3 of us they would be gone within like a day and a half
  • katiemkey
    katiemkey Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Mangosteen is really hard to get in the US. However, Bossa Nova makes a DELICIOUS mangosteen and dragonfruit juice! it is a little on the pricey side, but so good!
  • krinio
    krinio Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'm sure everyone already eats this, but in case you don't...I am a passion fruit addict! :) They're super sweet, and if you've got a sweet tooth they're the best thing for cravings! :)
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I also recommend spaghetti squash-very yummy!

As for fruit: Asian pear or apple pear are very yummy-sweet and crunchy.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    To the op--a pluot is a cross between a plum and an apricot. If you like them, you will probably like apricots too. I like both, but prefer apricots because I am less likely to end up with juice running down my chin:blushing: when I bite into it!!:laugh: :laugh:
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    An exotic fruit that I like is the carambola ("star fruit") - it has a waxy yellow-green exterior. It is shaped in a way that when you cut slices, they are in the shape of a star. (Very fun to put in fruit salad!) It tastes very similar to an apple. It's seasonal and a little expensive, so I usually only eating a few a year.
  • lovelypen50
    lovelypen50 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I am going to try out some of these suggestions. Spaghetti Squash, sounds interesting. Hmmm. I am definitely going to try that.
  • lovelypen50
    lovelypen50 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Ok MFP Friends, Anymore more suggestions on new fruits and veggies. I'm looking to try something different in those areas. Thanks for all the previous suggestions.