Advice on TDEE method.

Options
I've been slowly losing weight over the past 3 years, but my slow steady weightloss seems to have stopped. Its been more than 2 months since I lost even 1 measly pound. I still have almost 30lb to lose, as well as a lot if inches to lose.
I go to the gym 4 times a week, and vary what I do. Mondays I have a trainer and I do heavy lifting with him, plus a little cardio... as well as walk the 1.5mile each way. Tuesday I swim somewhere between 1.5 and 2kilometers and do a hard aqua class with push-ups, situps etc as part of the workout (and walk to and from the gym). Wed, I do weights (not as heavy as with the trainer) and cardio by myself (plus the walk to/from the gym). Thurs is a swim night (usually around 2-2.5kilometer swim) but no walking on a Thursay! Friday is my rest day... weekends are usually spent on a couple of long walks... so I think I get a good variety of exercise in both resistance and cardio.

I've been toying with the idea of trying the TDEE- method to see if that will start my weighloss ball rolling again... but I have a couple of questions.
1, when I fill out the calculator (eg scoobys) it gives various levels of exercise. Given the above "activity timetable" which of scoobys activity slots would I be in?
2. On the days I am not exercising do I eat the same or less than the days I am exercising?

Many thanks in advance for advice!

Replies

• SairahRose
    SairahRose Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    If you're doing TDEE-20% (or whatever % you choose), yes. You eat the same amount each day, since you're eating more on non-exercise days, but less when you move loads.

I would SAY moderately or highly active, but in truth I'm not sure. Your best bet would be start with that, and adjust from there. If you need to go up or down after a while you can always do that.
    Good luck with it!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'd put you somewhere between moderate and highly active, but closer to moderate. To compare, I walk 5 miles a day in average (counting every step I do during the day, I use my fitbit) and my TDEE is just slightly above lightly active... I'd have to walk 8 miles every day to get to moderate.
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I'd put you somewhere between moderate and highly active, but closer to moderate. To compare, I walk 5 miles a day in average (counting every step I do during the day, I use my fitbit) and my TDEE is just slightly above lightly active... I'd have to walk 8 miles every day to get to moderate.

I'd consider 5 miles a day moderate to be honest.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options

I'd consider 5 miles a day moderate to be honest.

5 miles of dedicated brisk walking is much different than 5 miles of ordinary walking during a 24 hour period as logged by a Fitbit. It's better than the average person but not the same as taking a 5 mile walk everyday.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I'd say you're probably in the 3-5 hour moderate range. You could look at the 5-6 hour intense numbers and take a middle ground between the two to start.
  • Jennacita
    Jennacita Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    You are probably at the choice above moderate activity on scoobys sight. I would not choose lightly active. There is group on here called Eat More to Weigh Less. The group is awesome and has lots of info on eating tdee - %.
  • traceyjj
    traceyjj Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input. I'll try using the 5-6 hours one on scoobys for a few weeks, and then drop by a hundred each week IF I see no improvement after about a month.
    Just some clarification my weekend walks are usually over 10 miles each day. My swims are 60-90 minutes long and I know I've worked hard when I get out, so I am hoping that my activity level is quite high!

Thanks Jenn about the group information, I'll go join that group so I can learn a little more before I jump in! I'm quite nervous of trying this method because every lb I have lost has been damn hard work!
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I'd go with moderate. I've had a lot of beer tonight, I have no peer reviewed studies, and I'm too tired to list reasons, but I think these other fine folks have it covered. Good luck with your fitness goals!:flowerforyou: