Feet going numb when running?

Options
Hi, everyone, I need a little more running advice. I'm working my way up to a 5k, and right now I'm running in one minute intervals, so not terribly long. My feet ALWAYS go numb, and by the time I get back home from the park I can't feel them. I've tried lacing my shoes looser and that doesn't help. Do I need new running shoes? If so, how do I go about getting a good pair without spending loads of money on one of those specialty running stores?

Replies

• ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Is it toe numbness, top of foot, bottom of foot, or whole foot? Different things can cause different areas to go numb. Chances are you need more space in your shoes. Either your toe area is too narrow, or you have the wrong shoe for your arches.

Regardless, if you want to run, you should invest in good running shoes. Yes, they are expensive, but they are more than worth it. Look at it this way: You drop money on the shoes so you don't have to pay with injuries and doctor visits.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    In all honesty, your feet are your #1 concern when you run. If you're remotely serious about running, taking care of your feet should be a pretty high priority. You don't need to spend $150 on shoes, but you should expect about 80ish or so. Trust me, I'm a cheapskate. I HATE spending too much on running gear. ($80 for a light weight jacket??? I choked...but bought it.) Specialty running stores are staffed with experienced runners, not just sales associates. They will get you set up in good shoes. Plus, you're supporting local merchants. It's a win all the way around.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Get fitted at a specialty store. They generally don't charge for fittings and can show you a range of shoes in your budget. Probably your shoes are too small. Your feet swell when running so most people get their shoes in a half size to full size bigger.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    You COULD go to one of the good expensive running stores to get fitted properly. Take note of the shoe that they recommend and then look online for a deal. Typically, the stores will offer the fitting free.

You could talk to the runners that work at the running store as well. Build a decent relationship with the folks there, get their tips, fitting, and maybe even a gait analysis... and just buy the shoes there. It really is worth it.
  • FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Thanks, guys! I found a Jack Rabbit store near me and I think I'll go there instead of to the local Foot Locker for my next pair of shoes. I really want to become a runner, so if good shoes are part of the package I'll find a way to make it happen. :) Has anyone been to Jack Rabbit? What was your experience there?
  • lilyp91
    lilyp91 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    The tips above look decent. DEFINITELY...

-Get fitted in your specialty store---they'll be able to assess whether you need a neutral or stability shoe, etc.
    -Buy a good pair of shoes---it can certainly ding your bank account but is SOOOOO worth it
    -If you're having numbness on the top of your foot/feet AFTER you've been properly fitted for shoes, consider switching your laces to the stretchy kind (I use the Nathan brand--anything else I've tried slips and slides, but the Nathan pair never move around. I did that during last year's marathon training season and haven't looked back. The difference is amazing and my feet no longer go numb.

GOOD LUCK!!!!
  • jillebee44
    jillebee44 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue only on the elliptical and the treadmill.....I will have to look into the new shoe thing. I am not looking to be a runner, maybe a 5k here and there, but it is VERY annoying when toes especially go numb.
  • emilychris13
    emilychris13 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I used to have same problem, of my toes going numb when I was running and even sometimes on an elliptical. I assumed it was my shoes, which were cheap and ill-fitting. I put off buying good shoes for a long time because money was tight, but I actually just invested in good shoes this past week because I have a 5K coming up and I'm starting Insanity soon.

I visited several running/athletic shoes in my city, to get a feel for pricing and the stores in general. Basically I dropped into each store for 5-10 minutes, told them what I was looking for and just asked what brands/types of shoes they would point me towards in a low price range. Some stores were really helpful; some were not so much. Some couldn't show me a single pair for under $110.

I ended up buying my shoes at Finish Line in Boston. The employees were SO helpful and knowledgeable, could recommend brands based on personal experience, and were great to take my financial situation into consideration. They had me try on a variety of pairs to get a feel for my preferences, and ended up bringing me to a pair that were on clearance and completely fit my personal style and needs... Originally a $100 pair of shoes, for only $55! As soon as I put them on, I could feel a difference in my feet and knees. (I have a knee injury that has been acting up recently.)

Long story short, Finish Line gained a new loyal customer... and I wish that I'd bought good shoes a LOT sooner!!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue only on the elliptical and the treadmill.....I will have to look into the new shoe thing. I am not looking to be a runner, maybe a 5k here and there, but it is VERY annoying when toes especially go numb.

A lot of this could be caused by the machine. If the settings are wrong or your gait is off, it can cause numbness.in your feet. Try running outside, but getting fitted is a must for anyone who wants to become a runner.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I haven't run with my new awesome shoes yet :(. The lady at the running store bumped me to one size bigger. She said you want to be able to press the full width of your thumb on soft material in front of your big toe, with your heel all the way back and laces comfortably tied. If your foot's going numb, definitely make sure the size is okay. She also didn't much care for my habit of wearing the shoes without untying the laces, as that could damage the heel support area permanently. When you go to the running store, I'm sure they'll have more personal tips for you!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Is it toe numbness, top of foot, bottom of foot, or whole foot? Different things can cause different areas to go numb. Chances are you need more space in your shoes. Either your toe area is too narrow, or you have the wrong shoe for your arches.

Regardless, if you want to run, you should invest in good running shoes. Yes, they are expensive, but they are more than worth it. Look at it this way: You drop money on the shoes so you don't have to pay with injuries and doctor visits.

^ This, though I use minimalist shoes because nothing else fits me and I prefer to run that way. I have hobit feet though. I'd also suggest that you get fitted later in the day and after you've at least walked a bit to allow your feet to expand (I know mine do).
  • Docpremie
    Docpremie Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Here's something else to try. It lists all the different lacing techniques depending on where your foot problem resides.

http://katierunsthis.com/2011/10/04/running-shoe-lacing-techniques/

I wear Asics Gel Nimbus shoes specifically for their cushioning effect, because I have trouble with numbness in my forefoot.

http://www.asicsamerica.com/Shop/Footwear/Running/Womens/GEL-Nimbus®-15/p/0010171753.9735
  • FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, just wanted to give you an update! I saved my pennies (literally, cashed in change at the bank to get money) and went to Jack Rabbit! They filmed me running and found the perfect shoes for me. My running is much better and my feet are no longer giving me any issues. :) Thanks so much for giving me that final push to do commit and get good shoes!