Gourmet Steamers. Healthy or not ?

Options
I have been on my "diet" for almost a week now and I think I am doing well with it. I don't really know how to describe it , but basically I am eating every 2.5 hours in order to keep my metabolism up.

So anyways .. one of the things that I have come across at the store are "Healthy Choice Gourmet Steamers". I don't know what they are called in the US, but in Canada here they are in the frozen food section.

They seem low in calories and fat which is probably a good thing. But are they really something I should be eating ? Has anyone any thoughts on these things. They seem to taste ok, and are very convenient as they just go in the microwave.

You can find more about them . . from their website below.

http://www.healthychoicecanada.ca/category/gourmet-steamers-1.aspx?lang=en

Replies

• mydeloo78
    mydeloo78 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    They are usually pretty high in sodium so if that's a concern for you then they are not good. usually the way to tell is to check the ingredients. If you can't pronounce everything, then its not good for you.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    They're not bad as far as frozen dinners go and they taste pretty good. On a side note, there is no truth to eating constantly to keep your metabolism up. Your metabolism is what it is and if you eat every 2 hours or you do intermittent fasting makes no difference at all. There are no tricks or gimmicks to make your metabolism faster.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    There's worse, but I wouldn't eat them every day because of the sodium, and that they're really not that filling. You're often better off eating some chicken breast and frozen veggies for the same calories.
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    They helped me lose 61 pounds. Before I lost my job, I was eating them frequently. As far as sodium goes, I have high blood pressure. But between my diuretic, watching my processed food choices, lunch meat, canned foods, dairy intake, and lowered calories, I have conquered the high BP while eating the Healthy Choice and Lean Cuisine frozen dinners. It can be done!

I'd have a frozen dinner, a fruit, and a can of green beans that I rinsed and drained several times every.single.day. Did I get tired of green beans? You betcha! But I wanted to lose worse than I wanted to cheat, so I endured.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Wow .. thanks for this. I am not worried about the sodium as my sodium is below the recommended daily amount. I know that there are probably better things, but I do not cook and if it cannot go into my microwave then it will not be happening. I do eat lots of fruits and veggies and have improved my diet. (at least I think that I have .. ) and it appears to be working for me. Thanks for all the comments.
  • Sapphire3002
    Sapphire3002 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I eat these as well and have found them to be great meal choices on the go. As far as frozen meals for one rank I haven't found many more options for the price that give you that "I'm eating a real meal" feeling. I do agree the sodium is a little high so I try to switch my lunch meals up periodically as most pre-made foods and even sauces have this issue. I'm a salty food lover so this requires work! If you like these I recommend Caesar's frozen meals, their veggie lasagna and stuffed shells are excellent. It tastes like you just took home a plate from a homemade italian dinner. The products are gluten free, no WBRO, all natural and no transfat however the sodium levels are similar.