Replies

• poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    it works if YOU work it!
  • slimjame
    slimjame Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    It is really going to depend on you and your lifestyle. I know that some people work better with places like weight watchers, where they can go to a physical place and talk to people in person. There are many different characteristics to each of the different diet/lifestyle plans out there and each is going to work for certain people. I have tried to calorie count in the past (as well as a few other methods) and was completely unsuccessful. MFP works wonders for me and after a few weeks I realized why. I am addicted to social network sites (such as facebook). I am forever finding myself on my phone, iPod, or computer just browsing through people's updates. To me, I use MFP instead of another social network site. I log everything (even the bad stuff) and am insanely motivated by all of the people on my friends list. I know a lot of other people who use MFP now instead of other social sites and therefore it makes the whole process very easy. It has switched my lifestyle from reading drama on facebook (or other pointless updates) to reading about what other people (on the same journey to weight loss as me) are doing to stay active, healthy, etc. This has allowed me to focus on my health and my activity. If I am craving something, I typically write a status for my friends to help talk me out of it. To summarize, MFP does work. I have been using it for a little under 2 months now and have lost 22lbs. I also know others who have lost a lot more. My boyfriend's step mother has me beat by 20lbs (40+lbs lost). If you use the site and the tools then they will work. It has to be a good fit for you to work, though. I couldn't be happier with the results that this site has given me and the hope that I have for the future!
  • sphyxy
    sphyxy Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Looking at my ticker I would say yes, it works. It isn't a diet. It is a tool to help you track what you consume and what you burn through exercise. I have not been dieting in the last year a half but instead have been on a journey to become healthy through daily diet changes, not a fad diet.

I have recommended this to everyone and anyone who will listen. Every compliment I get is responded to with "thank you, myfitnesspal.com."

I am so thankful for this website and app. This has changed my life.
  • denosoft
    Options
    Yes it works.
  • mick5000
    Options
    Brilliant app. Started using it and lost 25lbs in a few months and sticking to it
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I joined when I downloded the app to my android phone, and it was having it at my fingertips, so that I could easily track every morsel of food I consumed. And I rapidly learnt lots about what I was eating and what changes I could make. I would never have bothered if I'd signed up online to start with.

My android phone died a few months ago, but I've carried on logging on my laptop which I'm pleased about. I've lost over 2 stone since November and feel fantastic.

It works for me because I use it as a tool to help me make sensible choices. And because I don't deny myself the things I love like bread and red wine - but in moderation. I think it works for me because I view my calorie allowance as a kind of budget, MFP clocks up my total and tells me what I can afford each day. It wouldn't work for me if it was a diet, where I have to not-eat stuff. I don't feel like I'm dieting - I do feel like I'm changing the way I eat.

And I think it works for me because I'm honest with myself - people talk about "cheat" days and "cheat" meals - which makes no sense to me. I just count my calories and if I go over my target I know I have, and I can choose what to do about it - i.e. nothing (it's just one day), or exercise to buy back the calories, or go very low cal the next day. The thing is it puts me in control over my food instead of my food in control of me.
  • oldandhealthier
    oldandhealthier Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Half way there with 140 lost and now off the diabetes meds and oxygen. Oh yeah it works if you want it to.:drinker:
  • jillebee44
    jillebee44 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    You can't look at is as a diet, but as a lifestyle. :) I really like MFP. Lots of great supportive friends

^^^^^^^
    THIS!!
  • Leimaro
    Leimaro Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    It works if you do. :)

Yep!
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    mfp for me is just a tool...helps me to stay on track it works if you follow it...
  • ayalowich
    ayalowich Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    how does mfp compare with other diets ??? hows everyone finding it ?? any tips?

It isn't a diet. It is a tool to keep you focused and provides great information and reinforcement. But it can't do the work for you and is only useful if the information input is complete and accurate
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    how does mfp compare with other diets ??? hows everyone finding it ?? any tips?
    Nope. MFP doesn't work. I worked MFP.
  • franirwin
    franirwin Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    MFP works if you're honest with yourself. The very first time you're having a bad day at work and want a double cheeseburger and onion rings with a quarter of a cup of ranch dressing to try and feel a little better but you don't have it because you don't want to put it in your diary is a revelation :)
  • mtnhiker1
    mtnhiker1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    If you are honest - very honest and accurate with your calorie counting MFP will keep you on track.

I do not count (add back in) exercise calories. So far it has worked well for me. There are no gimmicks and this seems to bore some people. But for me it works rather well.
  • shayemimi
    shayemimi Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, if you let it! It's all up to you to start out by logging your food, and work at making better food choices. When you log you will see how much you need to alter your current eating lifestyle so that you will be a at calorie deficit, but still getting all the energy and nutrition you need.

Basically MFP helps you do the math that is necessary for you to consume less calories than you burn. If you don't want to be hungry you will find healthy, low calorie options you like. :) Add in exercise you enjoy to help with the burning of calories, and to earn more calories to eat! It's really sooo easy!

Add friends who have their diaries open and see what others are eating if you need ideas. Friends are great motivators having your diary open helps keep you accountable for your choices :) Good luck!
  • ToFatT0B3S1ck
    ToFatT0B3S1ck Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    MFP isn't a diet. It's simply a place to log your food and seek help from other people in your same situation. If you don't watch what you eat, having a MFP profile isn't going to do anything for you.
  • cara2801
    cara2801 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've only just started but down 7lbs in 2 weeks. It makes me aware of calories and I find the food diary very helpful.
  • Gee_24
    Gee_24 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Tried lots of diets, been to the Doctors for advice, been on pills, been there done that. Starved, too.

I have lost my 25lbs since early July and I have never been happier. MFP allows me to track whats going in me more accurately than ever before. I'm loving the advice on the forums. I can assure you without the forums alone I would not have come as far as I have.
  • cabashon
    Options
    Hi, I just joined on Tuesday of this week, and I love it! I like that I can keep track of everything. I don't have to guess at it. As with any tool, it depends on how you use it. I have been under on calories or over on sugar or fat or protein and it lets he know where I need to make changes. Ultimately, I am the one in charge and so far, it is working. That is because I have decided to make a change. I wish you well.
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I've had success using MFP. I don't think of it as a "diet" but a way to change my lifestyle; it requires a lot of focus and discipline and it doesn't end once the goals are met. I hope you find the experience rewarding and I wish you the best on your journey. :smile: