Transition advice...

Hey everybody! :bigsmile: I am new to actually posting topics in the forums...I usually just sit back and try to absorb all of the great information and excellent comedy of the community threads sticking my two cents in occasionally. I figured its time to ask my own questions so here goes.

This week I realized that I am getting really close to my goal and its time to start planning to transition to maintenance. The scale is about 15 pounds off of where I thought I would begin my transition, but the mirror and my clothes are showing better results at this weight than I ever imagined. But I will say...I am not giving up on the last 15 pounds, just realizing that as I transition to maintenance and begin working on the tone that I want it may just melt off on its own. And if it doesn't I am really happy with where I am right now so I have no problem staying close to here.

Now it's time to think ahead to a place I have never been. I have spent many years on the "dieting" wagon but I have never been in the position to actually think about maintaining. I have learned so much about myself in the last 5 months of this journey that I don't want to mess it up. So I realize that I need to make a plan. Now I need to think of life after insanity, no longer aiming for weight loss but aiming to continue toning my body. Transitioning my mind to living long term with this stronger and fitter body I have created.

The first thing I have realized is that it is NOT about..."ohhhhh...I got to my goal weight so now I can just stop. No need to track. No need to exercise." That is NOT it at all. What it IS about is continuing to track cals and macros, and adjusting to the increase in cals while maintaining the tone and flexibility that I have gained with Insanity. But I have sooooooo many questions which is why I am posting. Hopefully you guys can pass me some of your knowledge as you have throughout this journey so far.

So first things first a little about me so you can help: (not really sure what you need to know)
Height: 5' 5.5"
BF: 31.5% (due for another update on this tomorrow)
Goal BF: to be within the healthy range
I currently follow the advice given in the Road Map.
I have my cals set to TDEE - 20% = 1985 cals/day...and I average around 2000.
I track my macros 40c/30f/30p
Let me know if I need to open my diary for a while to get feedback.
The only dietary restriction I have is that I am dairy sensitive.

Cals/Macros Questions:
What is the proper way to transition from TDEE - 20% to TDEE?
Do I just increase to TDEE after I complete Insanity in 2 weeks? if so, how long after completing should I wait?
When I do start to increase cals to TDEE, do I step up my cals slowly over a few weeks? If so, how many weeks?
Will changing my cal intake at the same time that I am transitioning out of insanity to a more long term exercise program mess with my current progress? Should I do one at a time?

Training Program Questions:
I am transitioning from the high intensity workout Insanity. In two weeks I will have completed 2 back to back Rounds with a 2 week "rest" period in between Rounds. Now I am trying to determine how to effectively transition off of the insanity program and continue to increase my endurance, muscle tone, and flexibility? From experience I know I need to find a program or workout plan that includes exercises I enjoy but I do need something to follow as I am not good at "winging it". Guessing that is why Insanity was so appealing to me...no guess work...just follow the plan and push play.

I just don't know what the right combination is to keep the momentum going long term. How do you ease into a regular routine forever???

What I would like to do is have an arsenal of "routines" that I can mix and match to switch up every month or two for variety while still seeing results. By "routines" I mean combination of endurance, muscle toning, and flexibility. But I want to mix and match only 2 at a time. For instance running and body pump, or spinning and strong lifts.

Below are the exercises/activities I truly enjoy. Any recommendations on combinations to begin with in 2 weeks, or for the future are welcome. Maybe suggestions at how to "bucketize" them into endurance and strength training/flexibility?

Also, if my approach is off or you have additional options, suggestions, or questions please feel free to suggest or ask! :)

FYI - I am not adverse to re-joining the gym, however I do have a treadmill and a few free weights at home. So, I would really prefer the opportunity to expand on my home gym rather then give away money to a gym. I am also ok with buying another set of DVDs but I really need something a little easier on the knees for the long term.

Activities I enjoy...

Walking/running (I enjoy running but my knees have other ideas.)
Yoga (I have yoga DVDs but also have a yoga studio close by that I can attend regularly)
Lifting (but I need a prescribed plan. I am not good at just "winging" it. I did see and am VERY curious about the strong lifts 5x5 program, but I have absolutely NO idea how or where to start. I am fairly comfortable in the weight room at the gym...and have no problem asking questions, but I don't necessarily trust the trainers...LOL)
Spinning
Elliptical
Body Pump
DVD programs I am curious about but never tried: Body Beast, P90X, T25, Hip Hop Abs

I would also love to hear any transition tips, including any challenges you had and how you overcame them.

Sorry this really seemed to turn into a novel!

Thanks in advance! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    More questions than I can answer!

But I do have a suggestion. You have done fantastically well. Don't focus on maintenance yet. Keep at the eating until you're in your healthy BMI range. Keep at all that exercise. If it's getting a bit much - it's way more than I could possibly do - keep exercising regularly but perhaps take a break from the intensity. Switch it up towards more strength training to build some more muscle so you will look even more fantastic at whatever weight you are at.

If you move towards something more long term sustainable, you're absolutely right, this will become a way of life and you won't put the weight back on.
  • stevesilk
    stevesilk Posts: 204 Member
    More questions than can be answered in a short post. Here's a great group to consider: Eat, Train, Progress. Great people involved and LOTS of information.

Also, go at any changes a little at a time. I would recommend continuing with your loss program, before going into maintenance, but when you change, add a little back, and then see how things go for a couple of weeks, If you're still losing, add a little more back. That way you'll slowly approach YOUR TDEE, realizing what it is rather than pulling a number that may be too high or too low.

Finally, look at your exercise and diet as your lifestyle going forward. What works for you, and what can you continue? Where are pitfalls for you, and how do you avoid them? Where is your support group, because you'll need that as you transition.

Congrats on your loss. I hope the next several weeks go well for you also. Feel free to email me if you have further questions.
  • kita_254
    kita_254 Posts: 34 Member
    Congrats on your loss so far! I started transitioning into maintenance about 3 pounds from my goal weight. I used MFP maintenance calculator set at light activity and ate some of my exercise calories back. I continued to lose weight so now I am eating my TDEE. I am still losing weight so I will keep upping my calories until I stop losing. I am almost 5 pounds below goal right now. If you lift weights you need to calculate your TDEE based on body fat percentage, although you might have to continue upping your calories because increase in muscle will increase your calorie needs. Good luck on your next step!
  • Don't give up. Keep moving forward and do not stop. I was told by a trainer today that since the last leg is usually the hardest, you have to get even deeper into the discipline and should not stray from it. It can be tough because once we lose it and are happy with what we see, we get comfortable like I did. But you know what; who wouldn't after losing 80 pounds. I went from 228 lbs to where I am now and dropped from a size 20 to a sz 2 in slacks, 4 in dresses and 4 or 6 in jeans. Not bad huh!!! I'm not done yet tho because I still want to maintain it and actually want to lose about 10 more lbs and also refuse to go back. Just keep going for what you want. You can do it. Keep up the good work by the way.
  • @nxd10 - I think you are right...maybe I will focus on the exercise transition first and still eating at -20% until I get into the healthy range. :flowerforyou:

@stevesilk - I am actually a member of the ETP group...just have not posted in that forum as I always see posts about weightloss or plateaus....never anything about maintenance. So I was unsure if it was the proper place to post. And with regard to getting up to my TDEE...slow and steady wins the race. I think that is a solid approach...and I will certainly incorporate it when I start that upward movement of my calories. :smile:

@kita - That is what I am afraid of. Starting to up my cals once I reach my goal and then being under that goal. I would rather start transitioning when I have 10 pounds to go so if I keep losing then I wont be under where I want to be. So...I will def keep this in mind once I get to changing my cals. I know my next step exercise wise will be strength training primarily so like you said...I will need to consider my caloric needs as I increase muscle too. Lots to learn! I am excited for this next challenge! :happy:

@sjeannot - Awesome progress! Thanks so much for sharing your story! I definitely am going to keep moving. I think what I am beginning to understand is that now my goal is changing from weightloss to building the tone I want with the weight/body I have. So I need to figure out exactly what I want to accomplish with this new goal. If its BF% or a certain toned look, then learning and understanding how to accomplish it. Like you said...I refuse to go back. :bigsmile:

Thanks so much everyone for your feedback! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: I really appreciate your knowledge and will keep posted on my progress!