confused about net calories and losing weight

Options
my goal is 1440. I are 1442 calories today so my net calories say 1442. I know it's good for net calories and goal to be similar so that's why I did that. Although my exercise says -0. I am trying to lose 10 pounds. The myfitnesspal app told me i would lose 5 pounds by october 20th. I am so confused on what I am supposed to do; im very new to this. Am I supposed to exercise now? please help

Replies

• Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing just fine. Keep it simple for now. You can do it!
    1. Eat at a calorie deficit for weight loss. That's it.
    2. Meet your macro and micronutrient goals for your overall health and, if you can, exercise for fitness: with the added bonus of being able to eat more. :drinker: You could also consider resistance training.
    Give this link a read, it should help get you started. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it

Edit to say, it sounds like MFP has you eating at a 500 daily deficit to lose a lb a week. 5lbs in 5 weeks. If you only have 10 to lose, that is more than enough of a deficit. Slow and steady does it. :flowerforyou:
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

There. Put in your information. get a realistic and livable calorie goal. You aren't "confusing your metabolism" or tricking your body. You're just not eating enough. It isn't a "find what works for us in our own way" situation, honestly. It's a "eat less than your TDEE" thing.. regardless of the approach, that's what it boils down to.

at 18, I doubt 1400 calories is going to be enough. If you're looking to "lose fast" and chose the 2lbs per week goal, you're doing it wrong. Stop putting timelines on weight loss.. since you only have, what... 10 lbs as a goal?
  • stephiehampshire
    Options
    my goal is 1440. I are 1442 calories today so my net calories say 1442. I know it's good for net calories and goal to be similar so that's why I did that. Although my exercise says -0. I am trying to lose 10 pounds. The myfitnesspal app told me i would lose 5 pounds by october 20th. I am so confused on what I am supposed to do; im very new to this. Am I supposed to exercise now? please help

I would say that rather than aim to lose 10lbs in a set period of time see this as an opportunity to change your lifestyle to be eating healthier and be more active, you will find that the weight will come off slowly as you only have 10lbs to go

I think the government recommend 20 minutes of cardio 5 days a week

Keeping a food diary will help keep you in track and keep you heading towards your goal weight

1400 sounds like a good amount to be eating, if you exercise and burn 150 calories then MFP will add this to what you can eat for that day so your goal will be 1550

Make sure that you keep focused not just on low calorie but on eating healthy nutritious food. I used to eat donuts and skip meals and lose weight because I was on target but my insides were not healthy as I was filling up on sugar and fat instead of protiene and veg!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Set your goal to lose half a pound a week. Eat that much, PLUS exercise calories when you exercise. Adjust your expectations.