Ways of doing HIIT in a gym?

Options
First off Im confuse about HIIT training is it a certain exercise you have to do or is it speeded up cardio? For example running for 6 mph on a treadmill for 10 min rather than walking 3 mph on a treadmill for 30 min.

Replies

• phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Hiit is active portion of exercise at 170% vo2max and rest portion at low intensity. The time of the splits can vary. But 20 seconds active 40 seconds recovery is normally good.
  • mamacoates
    mamacoates Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you might be confusing HIIT and Cross Fit training. HIIT = High Intensity Interval Training. Key word is Interval. HIIT is a type of cardiovascular training that combines multiple spurts of "sprint" activity alternated with "recovery" activity. The usual ratio is 2:1. So if you are running on a treadmill, after your warm up, you would sprint for 30 seconds then jog at a comfortable pace for 1 minute. Repeat the cycle until you have completed your workout. You can use the HIIT concept/format for just about any type of activity from jogging and biking to swimming, and even weight training or body weight circuits. Check out this article for more good info: http://www.builtlean.com/2010/06/04/high-intensity-interval-training-hiit-best-cardio-to-burn-fat/

Crossfit Training is a commercial concept that is picking up quite a bit of momentum and I am starting to even see "Crossfit Competitions" popping up in the same manner as running events and other types of athletic competitions. Crossfit combines a specific series of exercises (weight lifting moves and/or body weight exercises) with cardio conditioning. The idea is that you complete the pre-determined series in as short a time as possible. Each Crossfit Event could be a different combination of exercise, but always quite intense. NOT a beginner's workout.

Hope this helps answer your questions.
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Don't confuse interval training with HIIT. Interval would be 2-3 min at an easy/comfortable level and 1-2 min at a moderate level. The high intensity portion of HIIT would be all out for 15-20 seconds. A treadmill or elliptical is not ideal for this. The track or a stationary bike would be your best bet.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    BarbaraCarr1981 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    How many sets of HIIT should be done when just starting out? Say for on a track and sprinting. I was thinking like a 5 min brisk walk to warmup, then sprint for 15seconds and jog for 45 sec and repeat this 8 times. Then cool down with 5 min of walking. Thoughts?
  • grantdumas7
    Options
    How many sets of HIIT should be done when just starting out? Say for on a track and sprinting. I was thinking like a 5 min brisk walk to warmup, then sprint for 15seconds and jog for 45 sec and repeat this 8 times. Then cool down with 5 min of walking. Thoughts?
    That would work. In fact if this is your first time doing HIIT you may want to reduce it from 8 to 4 times.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    BarbaraCarr1981 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    That would work. In fact if this is your first time doing HIIT you may want to reduce it from 8 to 4 times.

Hmmm, and thats enough cardio/exercise for one day? really?
  • grantdumas7
    Options

Hmmm, and thats enough cardio/exercise for one day? really?
    It may be. If after 4 you feel you can do more, then do more.
  • SameMe_JustLess
    SameMe_JustLess Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    The key for the 15-20 seconds is ALL OUT!! Sprints are good and I have used a row machine as well.