Protein

krismith65
krismith65 Posts: 2
edited September 18 in Introduce Yourself
What if you go over protein intake? I stay within my calories, carbs & fat.

Replies

• What if you go over protein intake? I stay within my calories, carbs & fat.
  • teetsel4
    teetsel4 Posts: 288 Member
    This questions comes up a lot. It's ok to go over on protien, I think everyone does. Welcome BTW~:drinker:
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    If you do something for it to feed(like wt lifting) then its fine but I did read that too too much can pack on pounds, which Im not sure if I believe(unless you are eating unhealthy protien).
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    unused protein IS stored by the body as fat. Try to stay within your limits, but going over a little won't hurt you. If you are doing strength training, you will use up extra protein. And the more excercise you do, the more protein MFP allows you to have.
  • familybugs
    familybugs Posts: 129 Member
    what is your protein intake suppose to be?
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    unused protein IS stored by the body as fat. Try to stay within your limits, but going over a little won't hurt you. If you are doing strength training, you will use up extra protein. And the more excercise you do, the more protein MFP allows you to have.

Protein doesn't become fat. Protein is broken into amino acids that are either used by the body or turned into amonia then to urea, which is urine basically. The problem with excess protein is that that urea also produces amonnia that the liver has to deal with. So the kidneys (which convert the protein in the first place) are working overtime and the Liver is also working overtime.

the good news is that a Healthy liver and kidneys can handle well over the normal protein amount for a good long time before developing problems, the bad news is, if you do go long enough to develop these problems, they are severe and can lead to fatal conditions (liver failure, kidney failure, both can be deadly without a transplant). What the recommended amount is is a decision for your doctor, but most people can have between 20 and 40 grams per major meal (usually between 60 and 100 grams a day depending on your size). People using extra protein (people trying to build muscle) can go up about 5 to 10% of this to up to 120 or higher depending on their level of training and total caloric consumption.
  • Cassia
    Cassia Posts: 467 Member

Protein doesn't become fat. Protein is broken into amino acids that are either used by the body or turned into amonia then to urea, which is urine basically. The problem with excess protein is that that urea also produces amonnia that the liver has to deal with. So the kidneys (which convert the protein in the first place) are working overtime and the Liver is also working overtime.

the good news is that a Healthy liver and kidneys can handle well over the normal protein amount for a good long time before developing problems, the bad news is, if you do go long enough to develop these problems, they are severe and can lead to fatal conditions (liver failure, kidney failure, both can be deadly without a transplant). What the recommended amount is is a decision for your doctor, but most people can have between 20 and 40 grams per major meal (usually between 60 and 100 grams a day depending on your size). People using extra protein (people trying to build muscle) can go up about 5 to 10% of this to up to 120 or higher depending on their level of training and total caloric consumption.

I have a question, will too much protein affect the color of your urine?
  • banks1850
    color? Not sure, probably though, but too much will probably make it smell a little like amonnia. Urine color can be affected by a lot of stuff though, hydration levels affect it, multivitimins make my pee look like a Yellow highlighter...etc
  • kerrilucko
    Banks I usually completely agree with you, but I disagree about this. Excess protein is stored by the body as fat. I have read about it and my fiance teaches Phys-ed and he has confirmed this for me.

"Another key point to consider is that excess calories, from whatever source (protein, fat, or carbhohydrate), will be turned converted into fat by your body. Your body doesn't care what the source of the excess calories is, it just knows that it has more calories available than it needs to burn, so it stores the excess calories as body fat. "

http://www.thedietchannel.com/Protein-diet.htm
  • banks1850
    You know what, you're right! (never let it be said that I can't admit when I make errors!) I rechecked my sources after you wrote this and there is some conversion to fat.

to be more specific, the process that I detailed mostly is right, I just missed a step. Once the extra protein is broken down, the none amonnia parts (nitrogen parts) are broken down and either used as energy or stored as fat. So all the warnings are still in place, just add to it the idea that there will be energy use/fat storage as well.
    here is a quickie explaination for it:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/high-protein-diets/AN00847

sorry for my error. :ohwell:
  • kerrilucko
    Everyone makes mistakes :tongue: Also, like you said, there are a lot of other steps (besides the storage of fat) I was just trying to say that carbs and fats aren't the only ones stored as fattttttttt.:bigsmile:
  • banks1850
    Everyone makes mistakes :tongue: Also, like you said, there are a lot of other steps (besides the storage of fat) I was just trying to say that carbs and fats aren't the only ones stored as fattttttttt.:bigsmile:

True true. I tend to overlook protein as a fuel source because it isn't the primary, but it is very true that it does have caloric value.
  • Cassia
    Cassia Posts: 467 Member

True true. I tend to overlook protein as a fuel source because it isn't the primary, but it is very true that it does have caloric value.
    but as long as you don't go over your total calorie limit then it all good. Right??
  • kerrilucko
    Right. But getting a proper balance of carbs, fats and proteins is really important.
  • abbychelle07
    abbychelle07 Posts: 656 Member

but as long as you don't go over your total calorie limit then it all good. Right??

I would think so.
This discussion has been closed.