When Did Teenagers Become So Complicated

42hockeymom
42hockeymom Posts: 521 Member
When did asking a girl become like a big production marriage proposal?

I need to start off saying I have a 23yo daughter and a 16yo daughter. Somewhere in between asking a girl to a dance became so complicated it's not funny.

There are a few of my daughters (16yo) friends who have friended me on Facebook, mostly her hockey teammates, which is fine, because it's easier for communication during hockey season. Also, the majority of the girls are low drama, except one. I deleted her today because her newest is to post ways boys are asking girls to Homecoming. They're like dramatic marriage proposals for Gawd's sake!

And, it's not just her, my daughter has told me about the things that go on at her school also. All the drama that's involved is crazy! This didn't happen when my oldest went to school. When did just asking one another to the dance become not enough?

I still don't get it.

Replies

• anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Really? Lol. Can you describe one of these proposals?

I can't answer your question.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    It became complicated when some moron invented the internet and cell phone.
  • 42hockeymom
    42hockeymom Posts: 521 Member
    28241va.jpg

2qb6kom.jpg

These are 2 examples. Also, last year, per my daughters description a boy had a bunch of his classmates hand the girl he wanted to go to prom with a flower, there were like 20 of them. Then at the last flower the boy got down on his knee and asked her to prom. This is not new this goes on all over the place. My daughter plays on a U19 team with girls from all over the area and there have been similar stories.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    haha, idk, at least it's a fad that encourages creativity -- but yup ^ V - can see a sense of audience mattering here
  • MuseofSong
    MuseofSong Posts: 322 Member
    I work at a High School and I see the same drama that existed when I was a teen. I see the same angst. The same attitudes. The same everything. What's changed? The way they talk (totally no concept of time and place for conversation content and profanity), dress style changes every generation, the increase of serious drug problems, and the smart phones with internet bullying and personal lives being trashed at light speed via the Internet.

And let's not forget horny teenagers having access to a camera 24/7, and taking pictures of their personal business and sending it to BFs and GFs who giggle and like OMG share it with their BFF and super secret promise NOT to share kk?! and then it's all over the school because someone decided to brag about or slam someone else. And no one looks at social media pages more than your frenemies, who are just waiting for something stupid or embarrassing to show up.

As long as your daughter doesn't have her photoshopped face being put on a nekkid body and sent around the school or her actual nudity being broadcast, I'd chalk up dance date invitations as don't worry about it. It wouldn't even be on the radar as a social problem. If THAT is the big whoopity-do at your daughter's school, your daughter is extremely lucky, and as a parent, so are you.

First world problems . . . first world problems. . .