Newbie lifting question?

Options
I am hoping to start lifting but I have no access to a gym (nearest is 20 miles away, doesn't have a crèche and I've no baby sitter) and I have a space/funding problem re home equipment.

What I do already have is a reasonable set of dumbells, each goes up to 60lb, so 120lb in total. I think I've found ways to do all the stronglifts 5x5 exercises using dumbells rather than racks.

As I'm a newbie to lifting and I'm a 5'1 112lb female (rather than a 6 foot 200+lb already strong man) is this a feasible place for me to at least start? I can't even lift one 60lb dumbell at the moment so I'm going to be starting with a weight much lower until form and strength come together for me to progress up the weights. If I take to it it's going to be easier to justify the space and money for more kit.

Replies

• sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Absolutely start with a DB light enough that you can do the exercise with good form, 6-8 times. I have been lifting for 6-8 months, and still haven't used anything over about 35-40lbs. I think I used a 40lb DB to do goblet squats a few times. For my biceps, I am still only using 10-15lbs for curls!
  • mikeschratz
    mikeschratz Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Go to:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/10067-eat-train-progress

All of your questions will be answered in there. It is a great forum by Sara and Sidesteal.

Good luck, my wife and I started the Stronglifts 5x5 a little over a month ago and it is fantastic!
  • MissJodyMarie
    Options
    You've got the right mindset! Proper form is key, so start with a weight that's comfortable for you and build up from there. Weight lifting really is amazing fun, always a challenge and never dull :)
  • mikejholmes
    mikejholmes Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I suppose you can start there, but you're going to run into issues quickly. At your size/weight, you're going to need to go up in small increments, sometimes even less than 1lb, especially on exercises like the OHP and the bench. That's possible on a barbell (you can use washers from the hardware store, if need be), but much harder with dumbells.

So I guess I'm saying, go ahead and start there, but realize that many (most?) of your limitations are going to come from your lack of a barbell and squat rack.
  • grantb70
    grantb70 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree. Stronglifts has taken me from really low weights and a somewhat fat belly to some great strength gains and confidence that for the first time, I'm building muscle without getting fatter. Currently squatting 115kg, benching 77.5kg, rowing 70, dead lifting 120. Like the others have said get the form right and only progress at the rate the program says to. If you haven't looked at the videos on the strong lifts you tube site, go and have a look.
    Good luck. Consistency is the key!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    60lb DBs will keep you going for a while. Certainly, if you used the DBs for bench press and shoulder press you'll take a long time before you will need to buy more plates.

Squats - try Bulgarian squats (check YouTube)
    Deadlifts - again check YT for deads with DBs

I primarily use DBs and have notably increased my strength over the last 18 months.