Biggest Loser vs. MFP

Options
I just rented a Biggest Loser book from the library, and it says that my calorie goat should be about 1,050, and to gradually move down as I start losing weight, because I will be in better shape and therefore burn fewer calories; whereas MFP says that I should eat 1200, and no less. I have stopped losing weight doing the 1200 calories, but I don't want to destroy my metabolism. Any advice?

Replies

• TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    What kind of activity are you doing? I would suggest adding more activity, either longer or higher intensity, so that you can still eat 1200 calories. I'm actually a certified sports nutritionist and am also doing a nutrition minor in college and rule number one for our recommendations is to never, ever go below 1200 calories a day.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    I am shocked that Biggest loser is advicing you to eat less than 1200....I have never heard any nutritionist advice anyone to eat less than 1200....

I wouldnt recommend going below 1200, you probably need to increase your activity, or increase your calories, believe it or not, some people need more calories to see results....

Goodluck
  • batty5
    batty5 Posts: 193
    Options
    Well my doctor has told me to stay as close to 1000 calories a day as possible even with exercise ( I swim as fast as I can for 5 hours per week, swimming is only exercise I can do due to health issues). I have been on here 8 weeks now but after 12 days had increased in weight, then lost some then increased by 6lbs overnight then 2 more the following night!!!! Couldn't work it out, still can't but now I listen to my body more so while 1,000 is my target every day, if necessary I go over but rarely above 1200 & this week I lost 3 lbs & haven't had the weight fluctuations.I eat loads of fruit & vegetables.
  • lee112780
    lee112780 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I agree with traning..unfortunatly, sounds like you hit a plateau. Try a completly different workouts, try weight traning if you do not do weights now. That worked wonders for me at one point. :smile: under 1200 might be too low though. It's odd because the Jillian Michaels book said the same about me, but her website said 1500 calories...not sure why.
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    I am shocked that Biggest loser is advicing you to eat less than 1200....I have never heard any nutritionist advice anyone to eat less than 1200....

I wouldnt recommend going below 1200, you probably need to increase your activity, or increase your calories, believe it or not, some people need more calories to see results....

Goodluck

I actually did try upping my calories for several days with no results :huh:
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    What kind of activity are you doing? I would suggest adding more activity, either longer or higher intensity, so that you can still eat 1200 calories. I'm actually a certified sports nutritionist and am also doing a nutrition minor in college and rule number one for our recommendations is to never, ever go below 1200 calories a day.

3-4 times per week: 60 min morning walk at moderate pace. 5 times per week: 30 min evening bike ride, light-moderate pace. 3 times per week: 30 min evening walks with hubby and kids, leisurely pace. 2 times per week: 15 min core workout DVD. 2-3 times per week: 15 min strength training. That's on top of walking everywhere and rarely driving.

I am also a stay-at-home mom with two kids, so I really can't squeeze in much more than that... maybe doing more strength training instead of so much cardio??

And since you are a nutritionist, do you mind if I add you to my friends? You would be quite the handy pal to have!
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I think the problem with the Biggest Loser brand is that it focuses so much on working out. Now, I'm not saying you should work out, and I'm not denying its benefits; but I think there's a reason all of the contestants have to move into the same house and leave their jobs for the duration of filming. It seems as though the trainers work the contestants out a great deal more than most individuals would be able to work out around family and work. And working out that much has got to raise your metabolism, so that probably combats the metabolism lowering affects you'd expect from eating under 1200 calories.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

3-4 times per week: 60 min morning walk at moderate pace. 5 times per week: 30 min evening bike ride, light-moderate pace. 3 times per week: 30 min evening walks with hubby and kids, leisurely pace. 2 times per week: 15 min core workout DVD. 2-3 times per week: 15 min strength training. That's on top of walking everywhere and rarely driving.

I am also a stay-at-home mom with two kids, so I really can't squeeze in much more than that... maybe doing more strength training instead of so much cardio??

And since you are a nutritionist, do you mind if I add you to my friends? You would be quite the handy pal to have!

Already added you as a friend. I'm also a certified personal trainer and group exercise instructor, so now I'm going to put that hat on for a moment. Sounds like you are doing a lot of very low intensity exercise. What is your heart rate while doing all of this? I would be willing to bet that you are in the lowest end of your target heart rate zone if you are even in your zone. I would double check that and then up the intensity if possible.