Newbie gains ???

Options
Hi everyone
I started strength training about a month ago. Im following a training plan devised by my local gym, the gym is on the small size with a tiny free weights area but im making progress as my weights are getting heavier.
Im strength training for approx. 50 mins 4 times a week with 20 mins of cardio after.
Im a little confused as I did my measurements this morning and it appears I have gained 1.5cm on each bicep and thigh. I thought women found it very difficult to increase muscle mass ?! Anybody got any idea whats going on as im trying to lean out

BTW Im 5'7'' tall, 150lbs, and eat approx. 1500 calories a day. Im trying to loose another 7 lbs and decrease body fat

Replies

• EmilyWillBeSlim
    EmilyWillBeSlim Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • nelinelineli
    nelinelineli Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I don't do strength training so I can't tell, but I had a similar experience when I started doing circuit training. My calves and thighs grew by 1 cm. It was just inflamed muscles (water retention etc) that went back down once my muscles stopped being "sore". Most of the mass you see after a serious workout goes away immediately.