New Friends, Over 50's

Options
124»

Replies

• RosalieTheGood
    Options
    Hi, I would love to make some new friends on MFP, I'm 55 and on the Optifast program. :smile:
  • Livinezee
    Options
    Hi everyone. Just turned 56 last week and decided to give MFP a try. Only four days in so far.I do Crossfit a few times a week and have recommitted myself to the elliptical that's been gathering dust in my computer room. I really need some friends to keep me on track.
  • Robin052
    Robin052 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi Cynthia,

I turned 61 in October. I have Hypothyroidism and on medication but losing weight is so slow going. No one caught this disease and I gained like 45 lbs. in 1 1/2 years. I hate it. You are doing so well. What is your secret??

Robin
  • Robin052
    Robin052 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Happy Belated Birthday!!!! Welcome to MFP. I think this is one of the best services offered and reminds me of Weight Watchers in a way, but free! Staying within points without deprivation is what works for WW. I find this is pretty close to that, as long as you track everything that goes in your mouth... I hope you get a lot out of this program and if you want, friend me!!!

Robin
  • cychogal
    cychogal Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I was just looking through the topics and it hit me -- This is my group now! I just turned 50 four days ago. I'm not quite used to it yet!
    I think we can do this at any age, but I do think there are differences in how a 20-something reaches their goals, opposed to a 50+ person. Same basic idea though. Burn more than you consume.
    I also think exercise is the key to staying healthy and vital. As much fun as it can be to be a couch potato, once in a while, I can't imagine how awful it would be to have no choice. So that is why this is important. I need to lose weight, but ever more important is staying as healthy as I can be. So of course, I would need to lose some weight to do this. But it's also about more than just weight for me. I hope to remain strong and active well in to my old age. Not saying I'm old now, by any means. But I do think about it. Some people who are 60 look like they're 80. And they move like they're 90. Some people who are 60 look as young and strong as any 40 year old. It's not just cosmetic either. It's how they carry themselves. It's health. And that's what I'm going for.
  • KimP202
    KimP202 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm 57, I live in Canada, I've been here since September and happy with my progress so far,
    this is quite the group now that any 50+ can choose from,
    Thanks for starting this topic!
  • gabe_irun4coffee
    gabe_irun4coffee Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone I'm 53 working on getting back in shape and enjoying life anyone feel free to add.
  • Resolve2B
    Resolve2B Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    OMG...this looks like a great place!! I just signed up today and have been trying to get the "lay of the land" here. When I came across this thread I was thrilled! SO great to find others in this phase of life who are still kickin' it and making the decision to be the best we can be!

I was getting to be a real gym rat for a couple of years when I turned 50 and loved how I looked and felt. Poof...all that vanished in a cloud of grandbabies that came fast and furious and turned me into "Grandma Goo" in more ways than one! Most days each week I am "child care provider" so my ability to get to the gym has just been non-existent. I haven't gained a lot of weight during this non-gym time (I generally stay under 120 lbs at 5'4") but am not happy with how my body looks.

I just ordered/received Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30 DVD. I have some hand weights at home and am hoping this video can get me in somewhat better shape for an "anniversary" trip I have planned for Hubs and Me near the end of January.

Working out at home is kind of a "lonely" thing though...so I am hoping to find some online compadres to help me stick with it!!
  • KimP202
    KimP202 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    The 25th is officially behind us, onward ho through the rest of the holidays, wishing everyone success and love, all you over 50's!