What's wrong with diet coke?

Options
124»

Replies

• July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Blah - I love me some aspertame!
    I am a diet Pepsi girl - I don't drink a liter a day - but I'll still have a can or two.
    My thinking is - if I am drinking my 64+ ounces of water a day - I'm gonna have a pop if I want one.
    Aspertam is gonna kill you. Grilling your food is going to kill you. Drinking out of plastic water bottles it going to kill you.
    LOL
    Have some diet Coke. You gotta have one vice.
    Steph
    :flowerforyou:

Wow, I can not believe this mentality. Wow, that is all I am going to say. Just Wow.

thats a bit dramatic............:huh:

No its not. The mentality that artificial sweeteners are OK for you is just enabling each other to continue bad habits, not break them.

That is not the definition of a lifestyle change. It is trading one bad habit for another.

I don't even buy cleaning supplies any longer, I make them. I am getting as far away from harmful chemicals as I can.

Yes, it is a bit dramatic. You look hard enough and you can find 100 people saying that grass will kill you if you walk on it too long. It's ridiculous. And the cleaning supply thing...seriously give me a break. I run a cleaning company and the difference between "green" cleaning supplies and regular is very miniscule. You're just buying into the hype. Here's the jist of it. "green" cleaning chemicals basically just have a higher water content and less chemical in them. And I promise you that water is not filtered. So they're selling you 70-80% water and charging you more for it. And there is absolutley nothing wrong with having a diet coke every once in a while or slice of pizza, or a burger for that matter. If you believe everything every bell ringer says about what's good and bad for you, you will be eating rice paddies and drinking water for the rest of your life. And guess what, when someone quits everything cold turkey, most of them fall off the wagon big time like an A.A. member in a liquor store. Do it in moderation and watch your calorie intake and drink your water. And speaking of bad habits, a horrible one is being afraid of every little germ that walks the earth.

It is not being over dramatic at all.

Those sweeteners are not natural occurring at all, chemicals made in a lab. There is a difference between man made chemicals and natural occurring chemicals.

I NO longer want those chemicals in my body. If it didn't grow from its mama or from the earth I don't want to consume it.

I am merely going back to the way I grew up. Natural and living off the land pretty much.

My meat, eggs, milk, cheese, yogurt, fruits, vegetables, nuts and honey all come from local farmers or family members.

My cleaning supplies are made from baking soda, lemon and vinegar and water. I don't use the so called green products.

I use either soap nuts or home made laundry detergent from a recipe given to me by a poster on this website.

If my husband eats bread, it is because I made it home made. If he asks for cookies, cake or some other treat, again it is because I have made it from scratch, not a store bought mix..............

I think I have consumed the equivalent of a 6 pack with in the last 8 months. And it is Zevia Brand root beer.

Um hi, aren't you injecting something fake and unnatural in your body by taking the HCG?

A little diet coke isn't going to kill someone.

Flaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame away!

I am not injecting anything. I am using a homeopathic solution and doing it for medical reasons. I am eating clean, nothing processed.
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with Diet Coke? It tastes terrible, that's what. Just my 2 cents =)
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    i agree with lina.... AND beside the fact of HCG she keeps on promoting saturated fats being the healthy option to the oh sooo carb-full veggies!!! VEGGIES ARE EVIL, FRUITS ARE EVIL, DIET COKE WILL KILL U.... EAT BACON, RED MEAT, A RIDICULOUS AMOUNT OF PROTEIN ONLY DIET, GO ON HCG DIET AND EAT 500cals a day, AND MAKE UR OWN CLEANING CHEMICALS! thats her advice in a nutshell.

hmmmmmmmm....

in any other situation id promote WATER. but at this moment... hell DIET COKE ROCKS :drinker: drink up

ive never heard of any "i drank too many coke zeros till i became obese"

i dont use splenda anymore, i use honey B-U-T ill never ingest a regular coke! and if i want a caffeine rush with a cooooling refreshing tasty drink other than my regular water. ill grab that aspartame =]

I never said vegetable or fruit was evil. I eat plenty, plenty of vegetables, but minimal fruit, it is a dessert for me.

You have never heard me say that I eat protein only either. I eat high fat, moderate protein and low carb, that is the optimum way to eat. I don't eat anything artificial or chemical filled any longer..............

You are WAY TWISTING MY WORDS.

Saturated fat is not bad for you either. It is a natural occurring fat found in animals and coconut.

Do some reading and research and you will see.

Stop twisting my words and do not harrass me. I have not even been posting in this thread, until you start talking about me.
  • jlizgar
    jlizgar Posts: 104
    Options
    i agree with lina.... AND beside the fact of HCG she keeps on promoting saturated fats being the healthy option to the oh sooo carb-full veggies!!! VEGGIES ARE EVIL, FRUITS ARE EVIL, DIET COKE WILL KILL U.... EAT BACON, RED MEAT, A RIDICULOUS AMOUNT OF PROTEIN ONLY DIET, GO ON HCG DIET AND EAT 500cals a day, AND MAKE UR OWN CLEANING CHEMICALS! thats her advice in a nutshell.

hmmmmmmmm....

in any other situation id promote WATER. but at this moment... hell DIET COKE ROCKS :drinker: drink up

i dont use splenda anymore, i use honey B-U-T ill never ingest a regular coke! and if i want a caffeine rush with a cooooling refreshing tasty drink other than my regular water. ill grab that aspartame =]

I never said vegetable or fruit was evil. I eat plenty, plenty of vegetables, but minimal fruit, it is a dessert for me.

Saturated fat is not bad for you either. It is a natural occurring fat found in animals and coconut.

Don't twist my words and do not harrass me. I have not even been posting in this thread, until you start talking about me.

Hey, I love me some coconut oil and all its saturated fat goodness :) I lost close to 20lbs a couple years ago after I started using coconut oil for my cooking and putting it in smoothies....you are VERY right, some folks need to do some reading before they go off spurting at the mouth and knocking things they obviously arent educated on....B U T this thread has had enough hostility I think!
    Hey OP, if you want to drink diet soda that is your choice and your right, if you think it is a healthy drink that will have a healthy affect on your life, then hey, DRINK UP! and ENJOY! but since I quite my regular sodas cold turkey I have actually become revolted by them, I cant even imagine drinking them and racking up all those calories, not after all this hard work im putting into loosing weight and being healthy, no way in hell im ruining it with a soda habit...sure, maybe I could drink diet soda but I have never liked the way it tastes and dont like to or agree with ingesting artificial sweeteners so I just dont drink ANY....but YOUR life is YOUR life!
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    Blah - I love me some aspertame!
    I am a diet Pepsi girl - I don't drink a liter a day - but I'll still have a can or two.
    My thinking is - if I am drinking my 64+ ounces of water a day - I'm gonna have a pop if I want one.
    Aspertam is gonna kill you. Grilling your food is going to kill you. Drinking out of plastic water bottles it going to kill you.
    LOL
    Have some diet Coke. You gotta have one vice.
    Steph
    :flowerforyou:

Wow, I can not believe this mentality. Wow, that is all I am going to say. Just Wow.

thats a bit dramatic............:huh:

No its not. The mentality that artificial sweeteners are OK for you is just enabling each other to continue bad habits, not break them.

That is not the definition of a lifestyle change. It is trading one bad habit for another.

I don't even buy cleaning supplies any longer, I make them. I am getting as far away from harmful chemicals as I can.

Yes, it is a bit dramatic. You look hard enough and you can find 100 people saying that grass will kill you if you walk on it too long. It's ridiculous. And the cleaning supply thing...seriously give me a break. I run a cleaning company and the difference between "green" cleaning supplies and regular is very miniscule. You're just buying into the hype. Here's the jist of it. "green" cleaning chemicals basically just have a higher water content and less chemical in them. And I promise you that water is not filtered. So they're selling you 70-80% water and charging you more for it. And there is absolutley nothing wrong with having a diet coke every once in a while or slice of pizza, or a burger for that matter. If you believe everything every bell ringer says about what's good and bad for you, you will be eating rice paddies and drinking water for the rest of your life. And guess what, when someone quits everything cold turkey, most of them fall off the wagon big time like an A.A. member in a liquor store. Do it in moderation and watch your calorie intake and drink your water. And speaking of bad habits, a horrible one is being afraid of every little germ that walks the earth.

It is not being over dramatic at all.

Those sweeteners are not natural occurring at all, chemicals made in a lab. There is a difference between man made chemicals and natural occurring chemicals.

I NO longer want those chemicals in my body. If it didn't grow from its mama or from the earth I don't want to consume it.

I am merely going back to the way I grew up. Natural and living off the land pretty much.

My meat, eggs, milk, cheese, yogurt, fruits, vegetables, nuts and honey all come from local farmers or family members.

My cleaning supplies are made from baking soda, lemon and vinegar and water. I don't use the so called green products.

I use either soap nuts or home made laundry detergent from a recipe given to me by a poster on this website.

If my husband eats bread, it is because I made it home made. If he asks for cookies, cake or some other treat, again it is because I have made it from scratch, not a store bought mix..............

I think I have consumed the equivalent of a 6 pack with in the last 8 months. And it is Zevia Brand root beer.

So uh, how does all this address the OP? No offense Lioness, but alot of threads you end up taking away from the OP and putting yourself in the limelight. That's great that you go all natural and whatnot. It's not really addressing the help that the OP asked for. And that goes for the posters that are only posting to go after Lioness too.

It was asked the negative aspects of diet drinks. I won't pretend to know all of them since I can't stand the flavor of diet stuff and don't bother with them. I will say that there is more to what you consume than just the calories: just because something has no calories doesn't mean that it's great for your body. It's usually the stuff that is reduced in some way (low fat, less sugar, etc) that seems worse at times because they make up for that reduction in other ways. Low fat items generally have more sodium in them, for example.

Hopefully there can be some more input into the actual harmful aspects of drinking diet. I'll also commend the fact that you're making the change. Heck, I won't drink diet stuff but I still enjoy an occasional soda. :flowerforyou:

I wasn't putting myself in the limelight.

I was stating in previous posts how chemicals are bad for you. Antiadipose it the one that keeps addressing me and only me.

I have the right to live my life and pass on information as I please on this site without being harrassed by other members of this site.
  • July24Lioness
    Options

hmmmmmmmm....

Don't twist my words and do not harrass me. I have not even been posting in this thread, until you start talking about me.

Hey, I love me some coconut oil and all its saturated fat goodness :) I lost close to 20lbs a couple years ago after I started using coconut oil for my cooking and putting it in smoothies....you are VERY right, some folks need to do some reading before they go off spurting at the mouth and knocking things they obviously arent educated on....B U T this thread has had enough hostility I think!
    Hey OP, if you want to drink diet soda that is your choice and your right, if you think it is a healthy drink that will have a healthy affect on your life, then hey, DRINK UP! and ENJOY! but since I quite my regular sodas cold turkey I have actually become revolted by them, I cant even imagine drinking them and racking up all those calories, not after all this hard work im putting into loosing weight and being healthy, no way in hell im ruining it with a soda habit...sure, maybe I could drink diet soda but I have never liked the way it tastes and dont like to or agree with ingesting artificial sweeteners so I just dont drink ANY....but YOUR life is YOUR life!

I am in NO way being hostile. I am merely stating the facts.
  • jlizgar
    jlizgar Posts: 104
    Options

hmmmmmmmm....

I didnt mean YOU were being hostile, I think its more others really, or the entire tone of this thread has just moved towards a hostile tone with folks targeting certain people for how they believe...thats all I was saying...hey, im on your side here :)
  • July24Lioness
    Options

hmmmmmmmm....

I didnt mean YOU were being hostile, I think its more others really, or the entire tone of this thread has just moved towards a hostile tone with folks targeting certain people for how they believe...thats all I was saying...hey, im on your side here :)

I was just clarifying!! :laugh: :laugh:
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    Usually people will be anti-diet-coke for one of 3 reasons:

a) They are against 'chemicals' in food which is kind of oxymoronic since foods are made up of chemicals

you should really clarify this. it's total hogwash. there's a huge difference between petrochemicals and natural food.
  • kayemme
    Options
    wow that must take a lot of time and effort making cleaning products from scratch and cooking everything you can from scratch too especially for other people's demands. I couldnt manage that with a full time job, daily chores to do and going to the gym.

even though it is going slightly off topic, it doesn't take that much time. i'd bet most people spend far more time watching tv than it takes to spray a little vinegar on the counter. just sayin'.
  • kayemme
    Options
    Also, no, there is absolutely no difference between a chemical made in a lab and the same chemical made in nature. A molecule of of an element is a molecule of an element regardless of how it came to exist. There are also plenty of "naturally" occurring chemicals & chemical compounds in "nature" that are harmful to "nature." Sickness and death are naturally occuring things.

okay, this is not true. totally unequivocally untrue. nature creates plutonium, yes. but nature doesn't create plutonium in atomic factories which creates other compounds that leech into the soil and water.

unless you're a chemist, you really need to reconsider what you're pushing here. it's true, sickness and death are naturally occurring things, and we're all going to die, and i agree on some levels: have a freaking soda. it's not a big deal.

but to suggest that agent orange and tomatoes are the same thing (which is basically what's being tossed around) is a complete misnomer. just ask anyone living around the salinas valley right now, as they're scratching themselves to death from *some* thing that's being sprayed on what is probably (but i'm not sure) strawberries or artichokes.

they're not the same things, even if they occur in nature; when taken from their original purpose and combined with another substance they are not the same chemical composition.

there are some things we can't get away from (like fluoridated or treated water), especially if you live in the city. air pollution. oil spills. chemical dispersants; genetically modified crossbreeding (which we don't know how it will react in our bodies). we can only do the best we can do, and that's all.

i drink soda. i drink water. i drink tea, coffee and juice, too. sometimes, even, i drink liquor. but i'm not blind to the fact that our fascist regime will allow the corporations to test on me. and that's the thing that makes me nervous about these kinds of statements.

i'm pretty sure aspartame isn't found naturally in food. it's labeled as an "artificial sweetener," so i don't think it gets any more clear that that.

but to get back on topic, i have a suggestion for anyone wanting to reduce their soda habits.

carbonated water and good fruit juice. it's delicious. :)
This discussion has been closed.