Potatoes

Options

Replies

• VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Are you (pre-)diabetic? Then maybe not so good. Otherwise, hit it! Just count the cals accurately. WEIGH!!!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    They are a staple at my house.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Fantastic food in my opinion, New Potatoes just boiled with mint or crushed with a little olive oil and garlic mmmmmmmmm

As long as they fit you macros enjoy them
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Maybe once a week or twice ill add a baked potato plain with only pepper on it. yum. And filling. 100 calories. Cant go wrong.
  • awtume9
    awtume9 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    It is not very good for dieting. It has high glycemic index, and our body uses our fat when we have middle level of glucose in the blood. So the potato at first increases it very highly, and then it drops back too quickly, so the phase when the fat is consumed is too short in time. The glicemic index of potato depends also on the way the potato was processed. If it is boiled with skin potato, it has less glycemic index than it is mashed potatoes. And it should be eaten before 4pm no matter what, if I want to loose weight. The nutritionist told me this information. So boiled in skin potato is ok, but who likes it...

wut
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    They are delicious and have no bearing on weight loss.
  • magerum
    Options
    It is not very good for dieting. It has high glycemic index, and our body uses our fat when we have middle level of glucose in the blood. So the potato at first increases it very highly, and then it drops back too quickly, so the phase when the fat is consumed is too short in time. The glicemic index of potato depends also on the way the potato was processed. If it is boiled with skin potato, it has less glycemic index than it is mashed potatoes. And it should be eaten before 4pm no matter what, if I want to loose weight. The nutritionist told me this information. So boiled in skin potato is ok, but who likes it...

Get a new nutrionist.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/questionsandanswers/a/potatoglycemic.htm

Get some better advice than what folks are telling you here. potatoes don't belong in a diet plan.

lol
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

Wait Wut????? Get rid of your nutritionist. ... I am a type 2 diabetic and have eaten potatoes weekly and it has not hindered my weight loss or effected my diabetes... A1c have been running 5.3 for the last couple years....
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I read through the responses and as a student of nutrition, I'd say the majority are correct. Unless you have a reason to severely limit your carb intake - potatoes are a nutrient dense food for the calories.

The problem with potatoes are most people find the need to fry them, drown them in butter, or put sour cream or gravy all over them...that of course sky rockets the cals and does little if anything for nutrition.

So if you like a potato with a little bit of salt, pepper, garlic, or any seasoning that doesn't increase the calories significantly - weigh it, eat it, and log it. A potato can certainly fit into your healthy living plan.

Good luck!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Delish.

Of course they have to be portioned control because they are energy powerhouses, and if youre insulin resistant or diabetic you'll want to monitor the amount of carbohydrates.

However, they are a great source of vitamins and minerals, and iron if you eat the skin. Also some good soil bacteria.
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options

Get a new nutrionist.

I often see posters making an effort to explain a position, by providing a rationale, which is then refuted by ad hominems (such as "lolwut?"). In some cases, it's obvious to most why someone would respond this way (e.g. body wraps causing fat reduction), but it may not be so obvious to others.

I, for one, don't know that potatoes aren't ideal in a weight-loss diet. As a lurker, I would tend to go with what the first poster said, since their error wasn't cogently addressed.

Of course, it is no one's responsibility (in life, or in these forums) to educate me. I just wonder what the goal of such responses are.
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options

Get some better advice than what folks are telling you here. potatoes don't belong in a diet plan.

Rubbish. My 32 lb weight loss says different.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    <---Eats pasta, potatoes, dairy, and a myriad of other foods that people deem "bad." Still lost weight.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

Get a new nutrionist.

I often see posters making an effort to explain a position, by providing a rationale, which is then refuted by ad hominems (such as "lolwut?"). In some cases, it's obvious to most why someone would respond this way (e.g. body wraps causing fat reduction), but it may not be so obvious to others.

I, for one, don't know that potatoes aren't ideal in a weight-loss diet. As a lurker, I would tend to go with what the first poster said, since their error wasn't cogently addressed.

Of course, it is no one's responsibility (in life, or in these forums) to educate me. I just wonder what the goal of such responses are.

The very first sentence said they are not good for dieting which is totally BS and the simplicity of the follow up statement came from someone who has lost 158 lbs. And I backed him up with 312 lbs. Lost so yeah the statement has its place.... Get a nutritionist that actually knows what they are talking about........
  • magerum
    Options

:noway:
  • magerum
    Options

Get a new nutrionist.

The goal is to point out that their "nutritionist" is giving them inaccurate, counter productive, & antiquated information.

Can't edit my previous typo :grumble:
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    Excellent source of potassium.

Delicious.

Versatile.

Cheap.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

I hate potatoes, but you are repeating inaccurate information. It isn't your fault, but you are very wrong.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options

This make me sad. We should trust professional to give us the right information. Have you considered seeing someone else?