Hello from Halifax

Options
Razboo
Razboo Posts: 439 Member
I think the day I turned 30, something body mechanism clicked and for the past 14 years I have watched it all accumulate around my midsection. I seem to have followed the typical male weight increase until now I am the obligatory 30lbs overweight.

I have turned to a healthier diet over the years, so what I'm eating is not the problem, it's mostly "portion control". =P

I've never really attempted to control it beyond thinking about it for a day and maybe skipping a snack or something, so watching the caloric intake is kind of interesting and appeals to my analytical nature. It's almost a kind of game. ...Except for the being hungry part. :)

This is the second site I've tried to help track my efforts and progress. (Third if you count the one that wanted my money. Everything was "Oh, if you want to see your accumulated calories/add a food/etc, that is a *Premium* service..." Grrr) I like this site the best and I think it is going to be a big help in acheiving my goal of going from 220 to 190. I'll decide then if I need a still lower target, but I think for my frame that will be pretty good.

I got inspired by a recent weekend trip to Santa Barbara to my sister's wedding. For two reasons: 1) My father and I were the only people there with big guts and 2) Travelling stresses me out, so I was already down to 215 by the time I got back home. :)

Anyway, good luck fellow MFPers!

Replies

• Razboo
    Options
    I think the day I turned 30, something body mechanism clicked and for the past 14 years I have watched it all accumulate around my midsection. I seem to have followed the typical male weight increase until now I am the obligatory 30lbs overweight.

I have turned to a healthier diet over the years, so what I'm eating is not the problem, it's mostly "portion control". =P

I've never really attempted to control it beyond thinking about it for a day and maybe skipping a snack or something, so watching the caloric intake is kind of interesting and appeals to my analytical nature. It's almost a kind of game. ...Except for the being hungry part. :)

This is the second site I've tried to help track my efforts and progress. (Third if you count the one that wanted my money. Everything was "Oh, if you want to see your accumulated calories/add a food/etc, that is a *Premium* service..." Grrr) I like this site the best and I think it is going to be a big help in acheiving my goal of going from 220 to 190. I'll decide then if I need a still lower target, but I think for my frame that will be pretty good.

I got inspired by a recent weekend trip to Santa Barbara to my sister's wedding. For two reasons: 1) My father and I were the only people there with big guts and 2) Travelling stresses me out, so I was already down to 215 by the time I got back home. :)

Anyway, good luck fellow MFPers!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    Razboo,

I love the details of losing weight....it plays right in to my OCD. Don't know if that's a good or bad thing.

I bought a few things that have been really helpful:

#1)

I bought an inexpensive food scale on ebay.com: not the auction site, but the "Direct Purchase" I think they call it "ebay Express" - but it's still at ebay.com ( the ones at retail stores locally were either $100, or chintzy looking.) I like the look and the functions on this one. It will weigh in either grams or ounces up to 5kg or 10lb with gradation of 1g / 0.1oz.. I REALLY like it. It has taken the guessing out of portion control. Much faster and easier than me trying to use a calculator!

I did quite a bit of research before choosing this food scale. It was only $23.99 and $10.50 Priority Mail / trackable shipping, for a total of $34.49.

Check it out.......

~~"WeighMax Digital Bowl Scales Kitchen"
    ~~Their online item ...............# 190076820968
    ~~Model # "WeighMax W-2810" it comes in black or white with a removable clear plastic bowl that has a pouring feature.
    ~~It takes 4 AA batteries

The seller may be contacted at ebay@more-stuff4sale.com
    It ships from Minnesota
    Their ebay ID is: more-stuff4sale

# 2)
    Thing I learned
    I love my pedometer that I just bought. It also saves me from the calculator.....I see a pattern here......

#3) On the low-tech side - I bought some nice measuring spoons and measuring cups and matching cups in 1/4, 1/3, 1/2 and 1 Cup sizes.

I measure and log EVERYTHING - yeah, no kiddin' huh?

~cheryl
  • Razboo
    Options
    Thanks, CM.

I just picked up a digital scale a couple of days ago. All the time I thought I I was hitting the mark on my goals I think I was blowing right by them. I figure going back now to correct them will just be depressing. :)