Gluten Free?

Options
Hey guys, I'm just seeing if anyone out there is on a gluten free diet, and if they have any tips for me. I was recently diagnosed with Celiac Disease and just looking for help. Maybe with food ideas, meal replacement ideas and such.
thanks for your time,
Jessi :wink:

Replies

• GarrathE
    GarrathE Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi,

my wife has never been diagnosed but has to follow a gluten free diet very strictly. She publishes her recipes on our web site at http://c-n-u.eu and you'll find them in the recipes section. There isn't a recipe in there that isn't gluten free. If you are missing beer try Estrella Daura or Green'sGlutenFreeBeers.co.uk. Also Budweiser assured us that their product is gluten free but not free of gluten break down products and eventually my wife did react to those.

Cheers,

Garrath.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Things I can't live without:

corn tortillas (I make a lot of quesadillas. GF bread is expensive and loaded with sodium, so corn tortillas are usually my "bread.")
    tamari (this is GF soy sauce. I like to make fried rice and sometimes Thai recipes, where this subs for fish sauce.)
    Tinkyada brown rice pasta (Tinkyada is the best brand, IMO. Corn pasta tends to stick together in a big clump, so brown rice is better.)

Restaurants that I know take GF seriously:
    Red Robin
    Pie Five Pizza
    Chipotle IF you make sure they change gloves and you don't get tortillas
    Penn Station Subs
    Alamo Drafthouse movie theaters

Also:
    Check out Indian food. There are a LOT of wheat-free Indian dishes.
    Try Chinese or Thai food, but beware regular soy sauce! The little Chinese place near my home has a small GF menu that basically consists of a steamed protein, steamed veggies, rice, and white sauce on the side for dipping. Cooking your own food at home gives you absolute control over the gluten content.
  • Busy1of4
    Busy1of4 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Coeliac Disease about 3 years ago. Wow it's overwhelming when you first have to change your diet. I use a great app to help with shopping it's the Coeliac Australia app you can look up foods and ingredients to make sure they are gluten free.

Breakfast - well I find most of the supermarket gluten free cereal is pretty tasteless. I like to have Kapai Puku Original which you can buy online, Brookfarm does some really nice gluten free cereals too. Other than that I do eggs for yogurt with chia seeds for breakfast.

Lunch - I hate lunch, I still miss bread. I find gluten free bread horrible. I tend to stick to salads with chick peas or some sort of meat. There are some breads that are ok but most gluten free bread only tastes good toasted.

Dinners- the easiest meal of the day, all you need to do is watch out for sauces because many have hidden gluten. Gluten free pastas vary in taste too I personally think the San Remo is the nicest.

Keep an eye out for the Gluten Free Expos that are held too they give you a great opportunity to try foods without having to buy them first.
  • donthesitate
    donthesitate Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Bread sucks so I just cut it out completely. Gf pasta is great, I like sam mills brand. Bobs red mill has great flour, but im trying to avoid processed stuff. My diet Is high in protein now, very satisfying
  • GarrathE
    GarrathE Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You should seek out the GF versions of genuine Italian pasta. It's indistinguishable from the same brand 'poison' versions!

This could be because the Italian Govt. test *EVERYONE* for Coeliac Disease in early childhood! The Italian Coeliac Society (AIC) run a certification scheme for restaurants. To get AIC certification a restaurant has to have a separate GF kitchen and a qualified member of staff available during all opening hours. There are Pizzarias with AIC all over Italy as well as full restaurants, trattorias and gelaterias!