Weight loss seems more difficult because of exercise

Options

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    You have time to do all the exercise you do, BUT not 5 or 10 mins to log!! :noway:

It takes me 5 mins. to log all my food and I have been consistently losing!! (see ticker below :bigsmile: )

Good luck losing weight!! :happy:

Since your diary was open I took a look at the past couple of days. Most entries are prepackaged products, which may be easy to log. I cook the majority of my foods from scratch and it takes a lot more than 10 min a day to log.

Also, some of the calorie counts for items on your log are much lower when compared to the USDA database (http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list). So, how do you know how much you are really eating?

It's really easy. Make recipes or create meals. Or both. I rarely log anything individually. I logged my whole weekend and Monday in about 3 minutes. A lot of times I can enter a whole day in about 30 seconds, just a couple clicks. I spend more time deciding which beer to drink than it takes to log the rest of the day in fact. Be smart about it and it's extremely quick and easy.
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Just use the "quick add" feature and add your meals in quickly and just ballpark. This will give you a general idea of your caloric intake and then you can decide if you have a deficit. Unless you are eating a ridiculous amount of food, chances are that you have a deficit. Seven hours of exercise per week is ALOT! Just track for a few days to get an idea of how much you are eating.

I only train via heavy lifting and very little HIIT 3x per week and maintain on 2,600 calories.
  • DopeItUp
    Options
    You have time to do all the exercise you do, BUT not 5 or 10 mins to log!! :noway:

It takes me 5 mins. to log all my food and I have been consistently losing!! (see ticker below :bigsmile: )

Since your diary was open I took a look at the past couple of days. Most entries are prepackaged products, which may be easy to log. I cook the majority of my foods from scratch and it takes a lot more than 10 min a day to log.

Also, some of the calorie counts for items on your log are much lower when compared to the USDA database (http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list). So, how do you know how much you are really eating?

I prepare/cook my own foods, too. The first time I enter a recipe takes a bit longer, but after that you just have to click a box.

If you cook recipes the same each time, that is true.

If your recipes vary, then log it as a meal instead of a recipe. Then when you log the meal, it adds all the pieces individually to your diary. Just edit the quantities/weights from there. Very quick.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    Reduce exercise from 7 hours per week to 6 hours and 25 minutes per week. Use the additional 5 minutes per day to track your calories. :flowerforyou:
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options

I prepare/cook my own foods, too. The first time I enter a recipe takes a bit longer, but after that you just have to click a box.

it's really easy to edit recipes through the app... not so with the website
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

It's really easy. Make recipes or create meals. Or both. I rarely log anything individually. I logged my whole weekend and Monday in about 3 minutes. A lot of times I can enter a whole day in about 30 seconds, just a couple clicks. I spend more time deciding which beer to drink than it takes to log the rest of the day in fact. Be smart about it and it's extremely quick and easy.

What do you mean by "be smart about it"? When there are more than a dozen entries for the same item, all with differing calorie and nutrient counts, how does one choose one smartly? When you create most meals from scratch without a recipe, how does one log that smartly and quickly each time?
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Reduce exercise from 7 hours per week to 6 hours and 25 minutes per week. Use the additional 5 minutes per day to track your calories. :flowerforyou:
    Winner! /thread
  • littlebudgie
    littlebudgie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    If your recipes vary, then log it as a meal instead of a recipe. Then when you log the meal, it adds all the pieces individually to your diary. Just edit the quantities/weights from there. Very quick.

That's a very clever idea! Not being able to modify recipes quickly has been driving me crazy, since I almost never use the exact same quantities.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Hard to lose weight if you don't know if you are at a deficit or not.
    How do you find out if you are in a deficit? You track what you eat.
    Saying you do not have time to track is utterly ridiculous.

If you want to lose weight you do what it takes. Simple.
    Maybe you just aren't ready to start back up which is okay...when you are ready you will.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options

What do you mean by "be smart about it"? When there are more than a dozen entries for the same item, all with differing calorie and nutrient counts, how does one choose one smartly? When you create most meals from scratch without a recipe, how does one log that smartly and quickly each time?

Use the same one consistently. It's simple. If I eat chicken, I use the same entry for chicken that I've used for hundreds of days. Same for broccoli.. or pizza.. etc. Work smart, don't work hard. The app, both on your phone and computer, keep frequently used items.

How varying are the meals? Even if you're creating a recipe using the same ingredients, they'll still be in your frequently used items.

Like, I had tacos for lunch today. Do I need to create the ingredients for tacos? No. I use the same entry for chicken, scan the tortillas, and roll on with it.
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Tracking your intake does not take much time. I spend probably 10 minutes logging a day (less if i don't input a recipe of something i've made from scratch) I recommend you start logging.

as far as your arguments that things don't always match usda, yeah some entries in here aren't exactly accurate. but as others have said once you look it up and (edit it if need be) you have it in your frequent and recent list and it's easy to find next time with information you know is accurate. the biggest complaint I have with entries is the entries that say a slice of onion or a tsp of this or that. I wish everything was in grams and ounces because I weigh my food.

but even if things are just close to accurate you still have a pretty good picture of what you're doing. Some days my diary probably isn't accurate. I ate out adn am guessing a little. I still have a good idea if I was in a low calorie zone or if I was exceeding a little. a lot more than if i were keeping a mental tally in my head.
  • bcattoes
    Options

it's really easy to edit recipes through the app... not so with the website

I use the recipe function a lot, but it still takes time. I'm just saying all these people saying "it only takes 5 min to log" should realize that's not true for everyone. Sure, if I eat a Lean Cuisine and an apple, that may be quick and easy. If I make a chili from scratch with a dozen or more ingredients, none of which came with a bar code, it's not that quick and that's just part of one meal.
  • DopeItUp
    Options

Look at the label on the ingredients that you use, then choose one from the MFP database that matches. Or create your own if it's something obscure. If there's no label, use USDA information. If you don't have the slightest clue what it could be, google it or make an educated guess based on existing MFP database information. If you can't do any of this and you have a bunch of conflicting MFP entries, just look at a couple of them and find one that's roughly in the middle.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    I just had a monthlong break from weight loss and have continued my journey down the scale again about a week ago. Two weeks ago I expanded my exercise routine, I exercise 5 times per week now (about 7 hours of running/swimming/athletics).

Anyways, I get quite hungry because all of this exercise and while I can keep myself from overeating, I am not sure that I have a calorie deficit. Weight loss was much easier when I didn't exercise this much, I did intermediate fasting and I don't see myself doing that now that I do sports.

Any thoughts on this / advice?

BTW: I don't track calories and I won't start doing that now. It would require too much attention of me to get used to that habit, I don't have the time for that right now, unfortunately. I know that may be a good way to solve this problem. In 2 months I will have time because my studies will be over.

Exercise is not the problem, the fact that you're not tracking your calories is.........
  • bcattoes
    Options

Use the same one consistently. It's simple. If I eat chicken, I use the same entry for chicken that I've used for hundreds of days. Same for broccoli.. or pizza.. etc. Work smart, don't work hard. The app, both on your phone and computer, keep frequently used items.

How varying are the meals? Even if you're creating a recipe using the same ingredients, they'll still be in your frequently used items.

Like, I had tacos for lunch today. Do I need to create the ingredients for tacos? No. I use the same entry for chicken, scan the tortillas, and roll on with it.

My meals vary a lot. Even when I make chili, or stir fry, or stew, or pasta sauce, I don't use a recipe and I don't make it the same every time. MFP only keeps a small list of frequently used entries. I suppose I could enter 'recipes' for single ingredients that I've verified. But, honestly that seems silly.

I'm not knocking MFP. I think it's a great site and I can definitely see how logging can be helpful for many. I'm just saying it's not quick for everyone.
  • bcattoes
    Options
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Honestly without logging you can know nothing for sure. My dietician as well as many people here will tell you that most people greatly underestimate the calories they are eating if they are not keeping a food diary.

It might take some getting used to, but once you get the hang of it, it's real a no-brainer and doesn't take much time at all. Most of eat a lot of the same foods over and over, so they will show up in your frequent used items.

I honestly wouldn't be at my goal today if I had been left to my own devices.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    My meals vary a lot. Even when I make chili, or stir fry, or stew, or pasta sauce, I don't use a recipe and I don't make it the same every time. MFP only keeps a small list of frequently used entries. I suppose I could enter 'recipes' for single ingredients that I've verified. But, honestly that seems silly.

I'm not knocking MFP. I think it's a great site and I can definitely see how logging can be helpful for many. I'm just saying it's not quick for everyone.

Weight loss is a math equation. If you're not logging and losing weight, you're on one side of the equation. If you're not losing, then figuring out why is a good start.. and I can't think of many other ways to interpret intake than counting accurately.

It IS a great tool, and for a lot of people, it's really pretty simple. If you have complicated recipes, that's your choice right? If you don't want to log them, or think it's too time consuming or hard.. that's a choice, right? It's not an inherent flaw in the system... and the OP has decided to not count.

When they decide that they actually want to try losing weight and counting calories, the tool is here for them.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Weight loss is a math equation. If you're not logging and losing weight, you're on one side of the equation. If you're not losing, then figuring out why is a good start.. and I can't think of many other ways to interpret intake than counting accurately.

It IS a great tool, and for a lot of people, it's really pretty simple. If you have complicated recipes, that's your choice right? If you don't want to log them, or think it's too time consuming or hard.. that's a choice, right? It's not an inherent flaw in the system... and the OP has decided to not count.

When they decide that they actually want to try losing weight and counting calories, the tool is here for them.

Of course it's my choice (?? duh!). No need for the passive agressive comments at the end, though. People lost weight long before MFP existed. Many of them did not log anything. MFP is just a tool. A good tool, but not a requirement for weight loss.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

So what!! 90% of everything I put in is scanned, now this past weekend I was at a Ladies Retreat, so I had to guess estimate!! This morning I lost almost a pound so I guess I must be doing something right!!! Anyways I have been consistently losing weight!! :bigsmile: