HIIT training on the treadmill..my fav workout right now!

imagymrat
imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
I love to shake up my treadmill routines, HIIT training might be what your'e looking for because chances are, you warm up, then set the speed for the next 30-plus minutes and stay with that speed and incline. Or you may use one of the treadmill's programs, in which the incline automatically changes at varying points along the program's timeline, while the speed remains constant. Use HIIT to overcome the treadmill plateau. Your body knows what to expect every time you step onto the treadmill. It's time to subject your body to a wonderful, extremely effective surprise known as high intensity interval training (HIIT). Most treadmill users do steady-state training, walking or jogging at the same settings or using the same workout program. To bust past your plateau, you must shock your body. When the body gets a big bolt from the blue, it gets "traumatized." To deal with this, it needs much more energy than what it’s been currently burning. Sooo..where is your body going to get this extra energy from? Stored body fat! :smooched: (always a good thing!) And while your body is helping itself to your stored fat for fuel to recover from HIIT sessions, your cardiovascular health will dramatically improve.

How HIIT Works for Treadmill Training
Due to its intensity, HIIT recruits fast-twitch muscle fibers. These fibers are designed for short-lived, powerful bursts of energy. Steady-state cardio recruits slow-twitch muscle fibers, which are structured for endurance. Fast-twitch fibers need more fuel than do slow-twitch fibers to function and to recover from a workout. So, if your session primarily targets fast-twitch fibers, you’ll burn far more calories during training, as well as calories after the training. HIIT produces an after-burn that can last from one to many hours, depending on your fitness level and how grueling your session was. :noway:

A HIIT Treadmill Workout
Choose a Challenging Treadmill Setting: Choose a treadmill setting at which you can sustain for no more than one minute. For not-so-fit people, this might be a 5 mph trot with zero incline. For more conditioned people, it might be a 10 mph run, or a 3.5 mph walk at 15 percent grade (hands off always). Learn what your one-minute limit is. After one minute, you should feel like you just tried to outrun a train. For very deconditioned people, their barrier might be determined more by stiff joints than heart-lung efficiency. In that case, spend several weeks to a few months building up base conditioning before you do HIIT.
1 Minute Work – 2 Minutes Recovery: Next, after going all-out for one minute (the work interval), go easy for one to two minutes (the recovery interval). “Easy” may be a 2.5 mph walk at zero incline, or a 3.5 mph trot. But after one to two minutes, you should feel ready to charge full force again, though your heart rate may still be slightly elevated.

Use the Rate of Perceived Exertion Scale: An RPE of 1 means very very easy. A 9 to 10 means you’re so out of breath you cannot speak, and people nearby can hear you heaving. For the fittest people, shoot for level 9-10 work intervals. Beginners should aim for level 6 or 7.

Do 5 to 8 Cycles: An all-out effort, followed by a recovery interval, is one cycle. Aim for five to eight cycles. Always warm up first for about 10 minutes, and this should include intervals a few levels below your maximum level.

Example of a 23-Minute HIIT Treadmill Session
1. Run at 12 mph for 30 seconds to one minute (hands off!)
2. Walk easy for two minutes.
3. Repeat cycle seven more times.
4. If the work interval doesn’t fry you, use a slight grade.
5. Or, run at 6 or more mph at 15 percent incline.
Walk, Powerwalk, or Run for HIIT
Novice and moderate trainees can use this template and substitute values more appropriate for their fitness level. Use any speed, any incline, as long as the one-minute (or less) intervals require all the effort you can give. You can even combine incline power-walking and your fastest running in the same HIIT session. Treadmills don’t come with this template. So you must manually manipulate the settings for every interval. Always cool down for five minutes. No matter what your condition, you can do HIIT. If all you can do for one minute is a 3.5 mph walk at zero incline, that’s a start. Build up from there

Replies

• sonia2003
    sonia2003 Posts: 195 Member
    Wow, this is great. Thank you this and the time and effort you took into posting this for everyone!
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    I just did a similar workout on my treadmill today, and it sounds weird, but I just FELT slimmer afterward. Doubt I looked different, but I definitely felt different. It was amazing!
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    I joined a gym on thursday last week and so far all i can manage on the treadmill is 5 mins walking 5 mins walking at a brisk pace 5 mins jogging and 5 mins walking to cool down .....

Going to try and increase the time spent running every session but I loved your post, hopefully one day it will come in use to me! x
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    23 minute HIIT session? Are you nuts?! LoL :noway:
    I followed a HIIT program once with a running machine. It was 30 sec easy run, then 30 sec all out run beginning with 4 minutes and gradually building up to 15 minutes. I thought 4 minutes was a piece of cake until the first session. :laugh:
    HIIT is hard core and builds your endurance fast. I'd like to pick up the program again but I don't have any machine and I'm not comfortable with the idea of running intervals around the neighborhood. I remember feeling like a dead cat, run over by a truck, after each and every session. :tongue:
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    23 minute HIIT session? Are you nuts?! LoL :noway:
    I followed a HIIT program once with a running machine. It was 30 sec easy run, then 30 sec all out run beginning with 4 minutes and gradually building up to 15 minutes. I thought 4 minutes was a piece of cake until the first session. :laugh:
    HIIT is hard core and builds your endurance fast. I'd like to pick up the program again but I don't have any machine and I'm not comfortable with the idea of running intervals around the neighborhood. I remember feeling like a dead cat, run over by a truck, after each and every session. :tongue:

I do HIIT training in the park behind my house. I set up two jump ropes, they are my "start" and "finish" lines for my HIIT, when I hit the rope I know I have to run full out, then I run half the length of the soccer and field and do it again. I have people that watch, I couldn't care less...lol. I've even had a gentleman ask if he could join me, and now he's hooked!
  • sjd2010
    sjd2010 Posts: 106
    Thank you for this very useful info. I never new what to do with my treadmill (seriously) :embarassed: . I found it so boring because all I did was walk at a brisk pace. I will definitely be doing this in the future. I will start slow and work my way up!:drinker:
  • Naokoheart
    Naokoheart Posts: 161
    I used to do my own interpretation of HIIT a few months ago but stopped,I need to do start it up again!
  • SuzanneRogers
    SuzanneRogers Posts: 250 Member
    Great post. I'me going to have it give it s shot. I just got my treadmill last week. As always you post and tips rock.
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    I did this for the first time last night on the treadmill. One thing that was good is that the run seemed to have flown by as opposed to plodding along for 30 minutes. Now, the treadmill I was on only went up to 10, but I found that to be a little dangerous for me because I was so afraid of falling off. I alternated my 1 minutes between 9.2 to 10. But I never held on. I do wish they had an automatic button you could push that would put it back to a slower speed. Almost fell off just trying to push the down button. But it was a great workout and I feel it today. Someone said they felt "skinnier" after doing it. I agree. It was a great workout. Going to try it again later this week. Thanks for giving information on it.
  • mariabee
    mariabee Posts: 212 Member
    bump
  • bump
This discussion has been closed.