DETOX at home - without special kits anyone know how?!

Options
Hi all, I have a few days to myself so I thought I would try to give myself some motivation and a kick up the butt by doing a bit of a detox...is this worth while.?

Just feel I have slipped into bad habits and want to get a fresh start and clear out the junk...

I dont really want to uy a kit of powders and tablets so anyone know a way to DIY at home?

Replies

• funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    You're already detoxifying right now. I'm sure your liver and kidneys will be doing their job perfectly fine over the next few days... And hopefully, for the rest of your life. Detox/cleanse diets do not work. Don't mess with your body like that; it's not safe.

Now, if you're looking for a "new start", try coming up with some mini goals. For example, I've set a goal this week to get above 1200 calories everyday because I often don't eat but 1000. Set a mini goal to drink 8 glasses of water everyday this week. Anything really. It'll help train you to do it every day. Try starting an exercise regime like the 30-day-shred or P90x. I did the 30-day-shred and it definitely helped boost my confidence.
  • wolverinefactor
    Options
    2 teaspoons of epsone salts in an 8oz glass of water. It's a colon/liver cleanse. Takes 20-60 minutes to kick in. You may need to do 2 glasses, drink plenty of fluids and do not go over that amount as it can cause some issues (read up online first, read the risks and make sure you don't fall into any high risk areas). I "lost" 7 pounds through this but I couldn't leave the bathroom for 6 hours and it was a steady bathroom adventure for about 24 hours. It really does clean you out but you'll gain that weight back but I felt better after that.
  • daniface
    daniface Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    that sounds terrifying
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    As long as you have healthy organs they cleanse them selves and your body, liver and kidneys that's what they are there for . They have done many test and when you do those cleansing things all is does is make you irritable. When blood test were taken on both, the ones that did the cleansing and those that didn't the test remained the same. It is not necessary.
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in cleanses. Just not necessary and can cause more issues then fix. Drink plenty of water and just start over. Expect no quick fixes and you will be fine.
  • elrob123
    Options
    I would suggest reading up on some of Gillian Mckeith articles or watch some of her shows You Are What You Eat. I don't agree with detoxing but she has some really good tips on great foods to eat
  • SASSYJAX
    SASSYJAX Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Blimey thanks all, sounds like you saved me a day in the loo!

I read about it in the Sante magazine...

I will set some mini goals of drinking my 8 glasses and a walk every day....might get the Wii fitness coach out of the box too!

I have been through some stress lately and wanted to do something good for myself.
    Thanks for your input.

Drinking fresh herb mint tea as we write!
    xxx
  • PalomaRose
    Options
    I would recommend a book called Clean: The Revolutionary Program to Restore the Body's Natural Ability to Heal Itself by Alejando Junger. I did it last summer for about a week and it helped me lose about 8lbs and I felt great! You can do it as long as you like but I think the full regimen is 3 weeks but I wussed out.haha It's mostly just juicing and eating lots of fruits and veggies.The idea is to have two liquid soup/shake/juice/smoothie meals a day and one solid meal at lunch that is chicken,fish or some lean protein with veggies and by doing this you allow your body to fast,cleanse and heal itself. I'm not sure if cleansing is really necessary either but I like to try new things and I figured if you are interested then that book might be helpful to you.
  • dgroulx
    dgroulx Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Your liver already "detoxes" just about everything you put into your body. It transforms drugs, herbs, foods into harmless atoms that are then eliminated from your body as waste. I say "just about everything" because you can do something stupid like take a lot of tylenol. Your liver only has a limited number of enzymes to work at once.

Anyway, you don't need to "detox". Your body is a wonderful machine and it already does all the "detoxing" you need.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Your liver already "detoxes" just about everything you put into your body. It transforms drugs, herbs, foods into harmless atoms that are then eliminated from your body as waste. I say "just about everything" because you can do something stupid like take a lot of tylenol. Your liver only has a limited number of enzymes to work at once.

Anyway, you don't need to "detox". Your body is a wonderful machine and it already does all the "detoxing" you need.

Agreed. The only things we can do to assist our liver are eat healthy and limit processed foods and sugars.
  • Gilgamesh
    Gilgamesh Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Be careful doing a detox - you could actually hurt your body!

What's the harm in detoxification?
    http://whatstheharm.net/detoxification.html

Scientists say: drop “detox”: have a glass of tap water and get an early night
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/index.php/site/project/47