Protein Powder v. IBS & Lactose Intollerance

Options
I really want to try out the protein powders out there, but they all seem to be whey, cassien, etc., which are all forms/derivatives of lactose (milk sugar). I have some pretty bad lactose issues and can't bring myself to do the personal research/testing necessary to determine if I can tolerate any of the powders.

Has anyone out there with similar issues tried to use these powders, and does anyone know of any that are not milk sugar derivatives? Thx in advance for any experience sharing.

Replies

• tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    I am lactose intolerant and protein powder does not affect me at all, but with that being said everyone is different. I suggest to try half a scoop and if that doesn't affect you, slowly ween yourself into a larger dose.
  • Jen21878
    Jen21878 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have IBS & I also have issues with some lactose products....I've been using Dymatize ISO 100 and I have had no health issues at all. I love it.
  • mrskellit
    mrskellit Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have IBS but have been able to use whey protein without any problems. I think since my diet is much more balanced in general, the whey doesn't seem to bother me as much.
  • littlebudgie
    littlebudgie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I've seen a lot of soy-based protein powders at places like Whole Foods.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I like Inca Meal (can be found at the Vitamin Shop) and Nature's Harvest (can be ordered from Nature's Sunshine, or Amazon)...both are vegan - no milk products.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I've never been checked for lactose intolerance, but dairy has never really sat well with me and I'm currently eating vegan, I use Spiru-Meal vanilla flavored powder from GNC
  • dirtbikegirl5
    dirtbikegirl5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Go to a health food store. They have many options that do not include lactose, whey, cassein and other things that may cause your flareups.
  • Mcmilligen
    Mcmilligen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Basic whey protein powders have always upset my stomach, not immediately but when used over time. It would make me very gassy, bloated and constipated. A really good and inexpensive protein powder is Pumpkin Seed protein powder, produced by Omega. I also have made my own by combining hemp protein powder with stuff like flax, spirulina, cinnamon, peanut flour and stevia powder for an all around healthy powder that tastes good and makes me feel great at the same time.

All in all, I'd say test out a few sample products of whey as well as vegan protein powder (vegan+, vega and sunwarrior are all great and contain zero animal products) and gauge what your body can handle from there.
  • justformel
    justformel Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I have never had any lactose issues until I started using protein powders. If I cook with it and make pancakes, no issues. But once I make it into a shake, problems, gassy, bloated, tummy hurting. So I bought some lactose pills, pop a few of those before I drink it, and I am good to go, no more problems. :happy:
  • wannabpiper
    wannabpiper Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses. I think I'll try a little bit and see if it does anything to me, then go from there. For those of you who have a lactose intolerance, you know how scary it is trying new things.
  • jjmaag
    jjmaag Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have IBS and lactose issues as well, I use Isopure Pure Dutch Chocolate protein shake. Lactose free, can be found at GNC so it's easy to come across, tastes amazing, and doesn't mess with my stomach at all!!
  • aweiss411
    Options
    Thanks. I have IBS mostly C. this looks like a good snack or a good on the go alternative. Gonna give it a try. Wish me luck!!!
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    Find a 100% pure whey isolate protein powder, rather than a whey concentrate or whey blend.

It is a bit more expensive, but has less than 1% lactose and usually doesn't affect lactose- intolerant people.
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I have hyperinsulin/reactive hypo. Whey protein and protein powders containing splenda, inulin, and sugar alcohols set me off. I found natural egg or some of the natural vegan protein powders work for me.
  • lisaj950
    lisaj950 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I second it for Dymatize ISO-100. I also have IBS-C and this does not bother me.
  • eating4me
    eating4me Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I'm lactose intolerant, and have IBS. I use 100% Whey Protein & Casein periodically; when I do, I get bloated & gassy, although in the first few months, they didn't bother me at all. Now, if I take some lactase along with either one of them, I'm just fine. I try to use a variety of protein powders (vegan, soy, whey, pea, etc.), and that seems to help with any GI issues developing. I've found that if I stick with any one product for too long, I'll have problems.
  • HeyGoRun
    HeyGoRun Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    When whey was breaking me out I used
    Jarrow brown rice protein powder
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of non dairy protein powders. Egg, soy, rice, sprouted grain, hemp, and pea protein options are available. My favorites are the Garden of Life brand and the Nutribiotic rice protein powder. If you eat eggs, egg white protein is one of the better sources as far as bioavailability and amino acid profile IMO.
  • caker_baker
    Options
    I would suggest finding some samples of different protein powders and see if you like them! I used to use Vega (vegan) protein powder that is sweetened with stevia. I don't particularly love the taste of stevia but if you like it then it might be a good fit. There is also SunWarrior and Garden of Life...there are a lot of vegan/raw protein powders out there. I started using whey isolate protein powder by Kaizen and I love it.

Best of luck to you! I find protein powder is the easiest way to get enough protein in my diet.
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    In some people, the reaction to dairy is not because of lactose (the milk sugar) but because of the proteins in milk. So if that's the case, or if you have a true allergy to milk, whey and casein powders will cause a reaction.

I use soy protein powder, Optimum Nutrition 100% Soy. It's non-GMO soy, and the amount of protein per serving compares favorably to whey powders.