Fainting while exercising

Options
2»

Replies

• KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    This has happened to me. At the end of a long run this past summer. (About a month ago).

For me it related more to food than water. But, probably both involved. It was a hot & sunny day.

We had an early long run and I slept in. Ran out to meet group without eating anything! Popped a couple of gels as we started and a few as we ran. I use a camelpak for long runs @ 1.5l filled it 2x during the run.

As I drove home I started cramping & shaking. Walked in the house and collapsed! A few gulps of choc milk got me back on my feet and some toast & peanut butter had me felling fine within a half hour.

I will never make this mistake again! Since this I make sure to have food before long runs and I bring at least one granola bar with me as I run.
  • sr_erick
    Options
    I would tend to agree with those leaning towards low blood sugar, especially considering the symptoms you describe. I can definitely tell if I am in need of some fuel from time to time during a run, especially if I haven't eaten much before or run outside of my routine running time in the day. I get shaky, dizzy, feel weak, etc. I've had heat exhaustion before, and though it may be different for different people, I didn't feel like I was "fainting" like I do from low blood sugar. With heat exhaustion I more or less feel like I have the flu (sick to my stomach), get the chills, and feel sick for hours after.
  • shoneybabes
    shoneybabes Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies its appreciated. I will hopefully get sorted soon. I genuinely think its nothing serious. :)