Milk -v- Protein Powder

Just been reading that milk is better for you than protein powder, and that it’s cheaper. In a time of when prices are raising that can only be a good thing.

What are your thoughts on this, for me it’s far easier to pop into the shop and grab a pint of milk, then make up a shake.

After all what did people take prior to the supplement boom? :huh:

http://stronglifts.com/milk-post-workout-build-muscle-gains/

Replies

• darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Isn't the relative low % protein the problem with milk? 4g per 100g of milk IIRC?
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Low fat chocolate milk is supposed to be a great recovery drink because of the balance of carbs and protein. I just don't like to keep chocolate milk in the house because I will drink it at other times as well.
  • Th3Wall
    Th3Wall Posts: 25 Member
    there's no way I would hit my daily protein targets with milk... and even 1% milk has a surprisingly high sugar content. I used to be a big advocate of chocolate milk but its just too high in sugar as well. A high quality protein powder works for me.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Just been reading that milk is better for you than protein powder, and that it’s cheaper. In a time of when prices are raising that can only be a good thing.

What are your thoughts on this, for me it’s far easier to pop into the shop and grab a pint of milk, then make up a shake.

After all what did people take prior to the supplement boom? :huh:

http://stronglifts.com/milk-post-workout-build-muscle-gains/

Better is incredibly subjective, and in this case better is probably determined by goals, preferences, calorie/macro need, etc etc.
  • Evey_bee
    Evey_bee Posts: 77 Member
    The values in this article are for 1 litre rather than a pint, so if you're happy to drink a litre of milk after a work out then go for it.
    Personally a litre of milk in one sitting seems like a lot to stomach, and might not be so good if you're going for a low carb diet.
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    As with most supplements, the benefit of protein powder is convenience. Sure, I could drink 3 cups of milk for breakfast, but I would rather eat a half cup of Greek yogurt with a half scoop of protein powder mixed in for the same amount of protein at fewer calories and less fat. But I do try to get most of my nutrition from food rather than supplements. I'm trying to plan out my days better so that I can see ahead of time if I need that protein powder. I don't have a very high protein goal, but I don't usually eat a lot of meat so sometimes I can hit goal with food and sometimes I don't. if I increased my protein I'm pretty sure I would need to use supplements to get there.
  • Soccermavrick
    Soccermavrick Posts: 405 Member
    Everybody is different. And personally I drink about 3 gallons of milk a week myself, but in order to hit my protein numbers, milk would account for almost 2,000 calories, 60 g Fat, 240 Carbs, and 240 g of sugar, daily. And this is using 1% regular milk for this discussion.

Before suppliments I believe the hype was an egg an hour, or more servings of meat and fish. Basically, there were other fads that did or did not work for one reason or another. Basically, for you maybe Milk only would work, but for me, trying to gain muscle, it does not.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Just had this conversation (sort of) with a friend last week. He was talking about his whey powder shakes, which are a fine option for him. For my part, I'd rather eat food. Delicious deli turkey breast is just over 4 calories per gram of protein, and easily digestible. And I can just reach into the fridge, take some out, and stuff it into my face... No ingredients to prepare, no blender or shaka cup to wash.
    I can't argue against the other benefits of milk... I just prefer mine sweet and frozen from Yogurtland. :)
  • windra06
    windra06 Posts: 50 Member
    Milk doesn't sound like a very feasible option.

I pad out my protein with fage 0% greek yogurt:

57cal 4g carbs 0g fat 10g protein for 100g of yoghurt, I either eat 150-200g with frozen fruit, or smoothie it for a protein breakfast.

So milk based products might work, but still don't see it being cost effective.