5x5 Dumbells or Smith machine

Options
I'm looking to start a version of 5x5 lifting but we don't have barbells in the gym at work. I found a programme for dumbells online that includes bench press, curls, squats, deadlifts, shoulder press - which may not be perfect but seems like a workable start.

However, my gym also has a smith machine and I wondered if I should be using the smith maching for squats and bench press, or whether it'd be better with dumbells.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    That DB routine looks good, but I would replace curls with rows.

IMO, DB > smith machine.
  • mikeschratz
    mikeschratz Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    My wife and I do Stronglifts 5x5 and are really happy with the results so far, and we are only on our 2nd month. The object of not using the machines vs using machines is that it will work more of the secondary muscles and tendons when done without machines. It has worked awesome for us so far.
    Good luck with whatever you choose~!
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    If those are the only options, definitely go with the dumbbells.
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    dumbells is fine for bench. for squats you will have to use them as a modified front squat instead of back. And thats fine too. though you may find you outgrow dumbells rather fast squatting as trying to hold a couple hundred lbs of dumbells up at your neck can suck..

I would avoid the smith. Specially as a beginner. It just murders your form. It has it's place, but it's an accessory device. NEVER a core lift device.