Those last few pounds

Options
Hello, hope it's OK posting in here but guessed that this is where all the people that could answer would hang out. I've got 6 more pounds to lose and I'll reach my goal weight of 140lb and a fairly arbitrary BMI of 20. It's all gone like clockwork until the last couple of weeks, losing on average 1lb a week. Now I'm stuck at 146lb for over 2 weeks. While I'm trying to keep focused and stick with the program, I'm suddenly feeling a little derailed. Then with a work event that sent my calorie count way over for the first time since I started counting calories and a ridiculous hunger today, I feel that I'm heading towards giving up. Of course logic says that this is normal and 2 weeks is really nothing in the scheme of things. Can anyone give me their experience of getting those last pounds off. Of course the term last few pounds also depends on goal...is getting to a BMI of 20 considered the last few pounds or is it getting %BF down to a 'fit' level (mine is at 25% - something I want to work on) am I really at that stage of weightloss where I need to change things up or should I lower my expectations of weekly loss even if my deficit says I should lose 1lb a week as previously? Help!

Replies

• TAMayorga
    TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat; I am also within 6 lbs of my goal (which just happens to be 140 lbs). I am finding that I am having to be more rigid in adherence to the program (what constitutes as "real" exercise, how many Calories I can go in the red, etc.). But I have also noticed that as I am closer at managing my Calories, I tend to feel worse; tired, unmotivated. I have wondered if my goal weight is too low for me; I understand that the bmi is somewhat arbitrary and not necessarily the best way of monitoring a healthy weight.

One thing I remember reading here is that as you approach your goal, you should lower your weight loss expectations to 0.5 lbs per week.

So I am interested in what others have to say.
  • rumplesnat
    Options
    I've been stuck for about 4 months! Hit my goal weight of 144. (I'm 5'5") Wanted to get to 138 for "vanity" reasons. Got down to 142, but jump between 146-148. I am much more toned and fit, so I know I am more lean, but damn those numbers on the scale! Coming to terms with being okay where I am at, living with a few pound fluctuation and staying fit.

ETA: My BF% is 19.5, which is FANTASTIC for me, IMO. Still working on wrapping my head around being great where I am now...especially compared to where I was before.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Everything slows down when you get close to goal.

I got to my healthy BMI very easily. Then I slowed as I went from 25 to 22. Then from 22 to 20 it crawled. Your body becomes more efficient as you have less easily accessible fat to burn. You may also be exercising enough so you are building muscle and still burning fat. Have you looked at your inches? Mine kept dropping well after I hit goal and stopped losing weight. Muscle is denser than fat so you look thinner at the same weight.

FINALLY . . . MFP does not automatically readjust your calories if you conscientiously enter all weight changes. In other words, if you enter a new weight every time you lose a pound, MFP does not readjust (lower) your calories automatically to the appropriate level. If you go into your settings and set your current weight and reset your goal weight, it will recalculate your goal calories correctly. Every time I hit a slump I did this, it recalculated, and I dropped some more weight. It is also worth a try.

Good luck!
  • TAMayorga
    Options

FINALLY . . . MFP does not automatically readjust your calories if you conscientiously enter all weight changes. In other words, if you enter a new weight every time you lose a pound, MFP does not readjust (lower) your calories automatically to the appropriate level. If you go into your settings and set your current weight and reset your goal weight, it will recalculate your goal calories correctly. Every time I hit a slump I did this, it recalculated, and I dropped some more weight. It is also worth a try.

Good luck!

Hmmm, this was very interesting. I did what you suggested and when I went to my settings, it listed my current and goal weight. So I changed nothing, but hit the "submit changes" button and it subtracted 100 Calories off of my daily allowance. Thanks for the tip!
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I'm within 8 lbs of goal, also looking to hit 140. Motivation is a huge factor when you think you look good and finally get within a healthy BMI range. I don't lose weight every week, I tend to stay the same for two weeks then drop a 1.5lbs. I've become accustomed to that happening so I don't get too panicky about a lack of loss. I'm incredibly strict right now after an August full of off days. I really really want to hit goal this time!
  • bubaluboo
    bubaluboo Posts: 2,098 Member
    Options
    Tamayorga, you really are my MFP twin aren't you! It sucks that you've lost 100 calories - seems more like you should be rewarded for losing weight doesn't it!

nxd10, I have been reassessing calorie goals as I've gone along so I'm at my current weight requirements. Also my measures aren't changing as much as I'd like...I have a horrible feeling I've been ditching muscle with the fat. I need to find a way to work on that.

My ability to stick to calories really fluctuates with tiredness and busyness. I'm off work today after a sleepless night with my daughter and her being off school so consequently, I've just been snacking but most of the time I'm busy, busy, busy and sticking to goal is pretty easy.

Rumplesnat, Wow!!! Well done on such terrific weight loss. With a BF of 19.5%, I am not surprised that you've maintained for 4 months. You must be so proud of yourself. How did you get your BF down so low? What is your BMI?
  • bubaluboo
    Options
    Laurivaughn, thank you for your encouragement. I do hope that I see a sudden drop in a few days. I think that would spur me on again.

There seem to be a few of us with less than 10lbs to go...is there a group for that or should we start one??
  • lavaughan69
    Options
    I don't know if there is a group or not, but it's a good idea.

Question: Is anyone else feeling more tired now? It's probably because I've cut my calories a lot in an effort to reach my goal, but I feel so tired all the time.
  • lionuff
    lionuff Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    When I first started losing weight I was so frustrated because I was eating less exercising and doing all the right stuff. However for about 3 months no matter what I did I was not losing any weight. However I stuck with it and told myself the weight will come off when it is ready. Finally after three months I lost my fist 5 pounds. Then slowly pound by pound I began losing the weight. Let me even stat that many weeks I still did not lose anything. I told myself to be happy just as long as I did not gain. I have finally lost 30 pounds and I am happy with that. However I still have some more to go. I have been stuck at this weight again for the last couple of weeks. However today I found that I lost almost anouther 2 pounds. However I know weight coming off is still going to be a long jurny for me especially since I want the weight to stay off for life. I never want to have to go through losing weight like this again so I want to lose it the right way. Not just exercising or eating right for the day but changing my lifestyle to ensure that the weight is gone forever. So my suggestion to you is to keep doing what you have been doing to get the weight off. Then when your ready increase your activity and the other things you have been doing to lose weight. Make sure to do this slowly because you really need to keep up on whatever you increase when you increase it. Well hope this helps.
  • TAMayorga
    Options
    I don't know if there is a group or not, but it's a good idea.

Question: Is anyone else feeling more tired now? It's probably because I've cut my calories a lot in an effort to reach my goal, but I feel so tired all the time.

Yes!! This is exactly what I was talking about in a previous post.
  • Kimberlybward
    Options
    Congrats on getting so close to your goal! Maybe you are just at a healthy weight now and don't need to lose anymore.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Congrats on getting so close to your goal! Maybe you are just at a healthy weight now and don't need to lose anymore.
    Yep. The number on the scale is every bit as arbitrary as your BMI. If you body composition is where it should be, you look good, and your clothes fit well, do those last pounds really matter?
  • lavaughan69
    Options
    Yep. The number on the scale is every bit as arbitrary as your BMI. If you body composition is where it should be, you look good, and your clothes fit well, do those last pounds really matter?

Do you think this adjusts as you age? I'm worried about accepting the fact that this is where "I should be" when I know I've weighed less before. I used to weigh around 132-135 before I had my first child. After I had her I dieted to lose the baby weight but couldn't seem to get below 138, so I finally told myself that this must be my new weight. Then I had a second child and I've never been able to get below 146.

I guess I worry that I'm coming up with excuses not to stick with it.
  • bubaluboo
    Options
    I don't think I'm feeling any more tired than I should...things have been hectic of late so it's hard to tell.

Lionuff, what determination you have. Your story encourages me to keep at it.

Kimberly, thank you for the congrats. I'm not sure about my goal TBH, I don't like the way I look just yet but that may be more about body composition than weight. I'm a total pear so look 'right' on top but below the navel, I look chunky. Now if by recomposition rather than weightloss I could lose those lower half wobbly bits and trim down, I'm more than happy to draw the line and go to maintenance. Ideally I'd like to go down one more dress size to uk10-12/ us6-8. One huge issue for me though is finding time to specifically workout. I'm fairly active but to fit a regular weights workout is proving difficult. Without that commitment, I know it's not going to happen.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options

Good luck!

Hmmm, this was very interesting. I did what you suggested and when I went to my settings, it listed my current and goal weight. So I changed nothing, but hit the "submit changes" button and it subtracted 100 Calories off of my daily allowance. Thanks for the tip!

I just did this to and it knocked off 100 calories! Great tip!
  • freder1ck
    freder1ck Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    about 10 lbs to go here. Gained a couple of lbs in August, but losing in September again.
  • stevesilk
    stevesilk Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Here's my two cents regarding some of the issues some of you may be facing. I'm using the term "may" because everyone's situation is different, your body's response can change, your body requirements change as you lose weight (and muscle!!!), and many other items. So having laid out my caveats', and realizing that everyone is somewhat different, here are some thoughts.

1. Change your workout routine. Particularly if you aren't incorporating lifting weights. Lifting, particularly heavy lifting, does more to help the fat loss process than almost anything else you can do.

2. Eat more food. Most people that are stuck are better served eating more than less. Not always, but if you are very low, and have been eating low for some time, you might help the process by eating more not less. Find out what your TDEE is if you have not already, and compare it to your current daily goal.

3. Change the cardio workouts you have been doing. When exercise routines get stale you are better served to find something that energizes you. The more enthusiastic about your exercises, the better. We spend less time talking ourselves out of exercises we like.

4. Eat more protein. Again, this is a generalization, but most people eat far too little protein in their diet. And this can have a big impact on the "final product" as many people find they lose weight but lose a lot of muscle as well in the process.

5. Have a Protein/carb drink (or meal) within 30 minutes of your exercising, particularly hard exercising. Help your body by giving it the fuel to rebuild the muscles you've been tearing down in your workout.

6. Find friends, or a group, where you will get real feedback. Text people who know what they are doing and pick their brains. The info is out there, and you are close!

There are lots of other issues and every one is different. A very good group on MFP is Eat, Train, Progress. Take a look because the people in charge of it are quality individuals. Also, congratulations to everyone. All of you have made tremendous progress towards your goals. You might find that your goals will change as you reach them. That's OK. But I will tell you that you can break through, even here at the end. The most critical item I can point out is that you are looking for long term health, rather than a number. Blessings.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

Do you think this adjusts as you age? I'm worried about accepting the fact that this is where "I should be" when I know I've weighed less before. I used to weigh around 132-135 before I had my first child. After I had her I dieted to lose the baby weight but couldn't seem to get below 138, so I finally told myself that this must be my new weight. Then I had a second child and I've never been able to get below 146.

I guess I worry that I'm coming up with excuses not to stick with it.

Yes, it does adjust as you age - try googling healthy body fat % for women. It should show the healthy range creeping upwards as age increases, but it doesn't adjust by a whole lot. A percentage point or so per 10 yrs if I remember correctly.

FWIW, I'm not more tired as I get closer to goal - I'm readjusting mine down, my %BF needs improvement. If your %BF (which is what I'd use as a measure rather than a scale) is not in a range you like and you are still tired, maybe take another look at your diet. Are you getting a good balance of proteins, fats, and carbs - general recommended ratios are usually somewhere around 40/30/30, +/- ten percentage points?

I have noticed that if I undereat, I notice it much faster than I used to - I'll crash hard midday if I've skimped on fats, for example.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    My experiences....

1) the less fat you have, the slower it goes. If you're at a healthy BF%, your body is going to be very reluctant to let go of those remaining fat stores. Your body is smart and wants some fat stores, even if you don't.

2) the older you get, the harder it becomes to really lean out. It's not impossible, but it's very difficult and really leaning out can take months and even years of hard training to just lose a little. If you look at a BF% range and what is healthy, you will note that as age increases, so does the BF% that is considered healthy...this is because you're naturally going to store more BF the older you get.

3) the older you are and leaner you are, the more "on" you have to be with your diet to really continue leaning out. it gets to the point of being ridiculous IMHO.
  • muamontreal
    muamontreal Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    so interesting ! I am right here with you, OP ... those last 10 lbs , GRRRR

bumping to read later