No cals burned for strength?

Just wondering why MFP doesn't log burned calories for things such as crunches or sit-ups? Do you really not burn any cals doing these?

Replies

• kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    MFP only calculates calorie burn for items logged as cardio; however, you can find strength training exercises such as sit-ups on the cardio list.
  • firesoul19
    firesoul19 Posts: 37 Member
    I was just wondering about this yesterday. When I searched the forum for prior threads, the best advice seems to be to log the time spent under Strength Training in the "Cardio" section. It should get close to estimating how much you burn during the actual exercies, but not count the post-workout boost to metabolism.
  • Jgonz1203
    Jgonz1203 Posts: 20 Member
    Thanks so much!! I feel better about my sit-ups now, lol. Every calorie counts!! :laugh:
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Thanks so much!! I feel better about my sit-ups now, lol. Every calorie counts!! :laugh:
    What's your template for exercise? Sit-ups are pretty much one of the most pointless exercises to do. If this is an attempt to tone your stomach then you're wasting your time. I'd this is an assuredly to rehab and strengthen your core, then sit-ups would be a decent accessory movement in a proper rehab template.
  • Jgonz1203
    Jgonz1203 Posts: 20 Member
    I just do them to do them.. not very often though. I typically work on the treadmill, elliptical and bike. Once in a while I'll throw in some sit-ups just because it makes me feel more productive really, lol. I wasn't asking for sit-ups in general.. I had just noticed that when I do anything strength related MFP was not logging it as calories lost, so I was wondering if you actually do burn cals doing things like that or not. :wink: