Are you a person that has to go to the gym to workout?

Options
I find it interesting that people I work with/go to college with HAVE to go to the gym or they won't workout. Is it lack of motivation?

I've done both but I'd rather work out at home and go for a walk/run than to a gym.........I'm not really fond of machine since they only try to stimulate what you can have by just using your own body and what is around you.

Replies

• Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    It depends on what type of workout I'm going to do. Cardio I can do anywhere, home, outside, at the gym if I'm there already. But strength training I find much more effective if I go to the gym because they have heavier weights that I do at home as well as squat racks etc. Body weight Exercises are great but I like my weight training too. Yoga and stretching I have to go somewhere for or I always find something else to do.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I hate working out in gyms...and I work @ one! Words cannot express how much I LOVE my home gym.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Yes, because I can't squeeze a power rack into my <700 square foot apartment.
  • crackur
    crackur Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    haha I can understand those people who want to use several different weight sets, I mean I have looked at the price.

But for reasons of waiting for equipment, machine, or just from being bothered in a gym by others.......I'd rather have this time for myself.....and I'm sure the sanitation is an EXTRA plus.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I workout at home, always have. I hate going to the gym personally.
  • JL2513
    JL2513 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I prefer working out at home. But I do a bit of everything. Sometimes I go for runs, sometimes I hit the gym, but most of the time I work out at home. Variation is good and the gym has machines that I don't get to utilize at home, which I do find an important part of my workout routine.
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    In a way - I workout at home, but I need my gym space. Aside from the equipment, I need that psychological push of "this is where I work."
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. If I have the equipment in my house, I'm much more comfortable just working out at home. I don't have to wait for machines and can work out at whatever time is convenient. However, some of my workouts I can no longer do at home so I have to get to the gym to use the squat rack. Once I buy a squat rack and a bench, I probably will discontinue my membership.
  • mum2bradley
    Options
    I go to strenght training at work 2x a week and yoga once. The rest of the time I use my elliptical, or gillian michael's, kettle bell or Turbo Fire DVD's. I only use the gym if I am travelling
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    My workouts are more intense and organized at the gym and I avoid the boredom of working out with DVDs or doing the same routine at home all the time.

I have less interruptions at the gym too because it is "my time" and I get to be out of the house for a couple of hours. I like to work out with weights and machines and use different cardio equipment (I don't run), and I don't want my house to look like a gym (no basement).
  • crackur
    crackur Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I guess I enjoy my collection of workout dvds from a wide array of programs and we have a nice green belt here (approximately 2.5 miles one way all along the river (5 mile told run or walk).
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Not at all. I have zero issues finding motivation for working out at home. On the other hand I far more enjoy going to yoga class than doing it at home.
    When I did lift at a gym, it was nice to see the same regulars there every day. A few months back I popped into a box gym with a friend of mine and hated every second of it. I am far more at home in a little hole in the wall gym that has more free weights than machines.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    I love that I have everything I need at home, because I am not a gym rat, and I like the convenience of having it all right there.
  • Dragonflag07
    Dragonflag07 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I've recently quit my gym membership as I do all my workouts at home and get more done. i have built a pretty substantial set of weights, 2 pullup bars, medicine balls and so on. I do miss the social aspect a little of the gym - not socializing per se but seeing the same faces, having a nod here and there and seeing how hard (or not) others are working. I dont really need anyone around me to make me push any harder. I DO however miss the odd post workout sauna/steam room / jacuzzi or a dip in the pool but dont miss the 25 minute drive each way
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I will be using my gym as a "Supplement" to my workout I do at home. My priority is to keep my home-workouts going strong. If i miss the gym - whatever - as long as I continue to workout at home.

I figure I may not always have a gym, or lose motivation to go...but at least I can always keep up with exercising at home.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    If I had the room/finances to put in a power cage with all the weights I need (including where I plan on being in the future) in my home, then no. But, since I have neither, yes.
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I live on the third floor of an apartment complex, so any kind of working out past stretching and light weights and stuff like that is something I can't do at home. I do run around my neighborhood once or twice a week, but I prefer going to the gym, mostly for convenience. My gym is literally right across the street from where I work, so I walk over on my lunch break and get in a decent work out. Plus I love taking classes at my gym; right now I'm doing yoga and boxing. I also think it's motivating to be around other people at my gym because everyone there is working towards the same goal, and I really like that. I've never seen any less than sportsman like conduct from the people at my gym. I've never had to wait for equipment, either.
  • MarineCodie
    MarineCodie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Unless I'm running, yes. I'll do pull-ups at home but other than that I need to be in the gym. It's a motivation thing for me. I figure, I wasted 10 minutes driving there and I pay $25 a month for a membership. I might as well put forth some great effort.
  • mallen404
    mallen404 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I find it interesting that people I work with/go to college with HAVE to go to the gym or they won't workout. Is it lack of motivation?

I've done both but I'd rather work out at home and go for a walk/run than to a gym.........I'm not really fond of machine since they only try to stimulate what you can have by just using your own body and what is around you.

I go to the gym as they have many free weights that I don't have. I almost never use machines, unless it's for a warm up before doing free weights.

I have to go to the gym to do weights.. for cardio I play soccer ( which isn't at a gym) so no I don't think it's lack of motivation for me.