How can I stay under 1200 calories w/out being so hungry?

Options
124»

Replies

• Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    You can't. It's your body's way of letting you know it's under nurished. Next question.
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    When I'm staying under 1200 calories, I'm starving. What am I doing wrong?

I guess what I meant was staying at 1200 calories, not under 1200. I've also read that the bare minimum should be 1200. But I went to the grocery store yesterday and I got LOTS of vegetables and fruits. So I'm confident switching up my eating habits will help. Thanks to you guys I've passing another hump in the road. I'm also excited about the new recipes I can use with my fruits!

Add in some lean protein... it burns slow, and while veggies are good for you and low calorie, they burn fast. Protein in your diet will help quell your hunger.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    You can eat almost as many raw veggies (and to a lesser extent, fruit) as you want. Fill up on big salads with all kinds of colorful ingredients! Also, have a spoonful of nut butter and see if that helps satisfy you.

Also, RE: caloric intake, get your metabolism tested by a nutritionist (MedGem). Most people on MFP will argue that you need well over 1200 calories, but I don't need any more than 1200 - my BMR is really low. Don't hurt yourself by over or under eating.
  • RavenNevermore15
    RavenNevermore15 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    To trogalicious:

This is the greatest response ever! :) And I really mean it!! I too have struggled with MFP telling me some stupid low number of calories I need a day. It's not a perfect science for everyone! I'm not one of those people that can starve or be cranky/miserable to stay in my 'budget'. When you are patient and diligent you will reach your goals and stay at them longer. Plus, you'll look better. I have lost weight with MFP keeping me on track with my food diary and with working out. A few of my other friends/family have done it too...and where some of them chose the "lower calorie/starvation" method, you can tell who looks healthier and more fit versus skinny and emaciated.

Listen to your body!
  • Jerica6917
    Jerica6917 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm on a 1200 calorie diet. It was hard at first, but now it's easily attained for me. You will have to do some research on really healthy low calorie meals. Say goodbye to whatever you were eating before and any snacks. I'm also doing 60 mins of cardio EVERY day.

A general guideline for me is keeping my 3 major meals at or below 250 calories. Then I have snacks that's I try to keep at 100 or lower, but some may go up to 150.

Idk if you can see my diet profile to get some ideas for these really low calorie meals, but here r some general things I eat.
    Breakfast: Egg whites & turkey bacon(160 cals) Grits w/ 1tbs of yogurt butter (175cals)
    Lunch & Dinner: Baked Tilapia w/ Pico de Gallo & 2 cups spinach (160), Dinty Moore Beef Stew w/ HEB's frozen corn & poblano rice(200cals) Veggie Pizza(270cals)
    I get most of my recipes from a magazine called Cooking Light & they're available online .The other thing is you must exercise to pick up some extra calories to eat. I had days where I've had a +500 calorie deficit on my 1200 diet. I have plenty of recipes. Let me know if you ever want some! Good luck
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I think this is a great synopsis, but question: How is MFP dishing out 1200 calorie targets? It's got me at 1640 and I weigh 264 and have it set at sedentary male age 43.

Any woman that selects 2 lb weight loss goal (probably vast majority miss the recommended 1lb)
    and select sedentary (again probably vast majority "just to be on the safe side")
    and have a BMR of 1760 or below (which is pretty high actually)
    will receive the 1200 goal.

If they did select 1 lb and sedentary, anyone with BMR of 1360 or below would get 1200.

For you, BMR 2112 x 1.25 sedentary = 2640 non-exercise maintenance - 1000 calorie 2 lb loss goal = 1640.

I think guys have 1600 cutoff, though some have claimed getting 1200 too.
  • bsuew
    bsuew Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water and make sure your getting enough lean protein. It seems to help keep me full longer.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body!

Considering you can mess up your hormones by under-eating and not feel hungry anymore, I'd suggest listening to your body is very overated for people usually coming to MPF to lose weight.

They are terrible at listening to their body, they heard and followed the hunger signals and reached a state to lose weight.

But just like a vitamin or mineral deficiency wouldn't show up until some time down the road, usually when the effect is pretty bad, failure to have knowledge regarding your body and the way things really work is just as bad as listening to it.

Learn good info, no myths, and do what needs to be done. No misleading by the body.

For instance, you feeling fully fed and your body actually being fed fully could be 2 very different levels.

Not feeling hungry after a workout could be normal, but your brain knows if your body has some resources, repair will be great during sleep, so eat before bed.