What's your favorite U.S. city?

Options
purple4sure05
purple4sure05 Posts: 287 Member
Hello! I'm getting an internship (hopefully) next summer for advertising and public relations and I'm looking at major U.S. cities. I most likely won't want to bring my car, so it would have to be a city with an efficient public transit system. I'm also interested in the art, theater, music scene wherever I go.

I'm looking at Portland, Chicago, and San Fran right now.

I live in the Southeast, so if you have any ideas of cities less than a 9 mile drive from Florida that are nice and less urban, shout them out too!

Basically I just wanna hear what places you guys prefer to live in and why :)

Replies

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    san fran...the others although beautiful are too cold. If you have a choice San Diego is nice also.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    Portland OR or ME?
  • mrsjones2point0
    mrsjones2point0 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I love Portland, Seattle, and San Fran. All three are beautiful cities. And don't let that whole "rain" thing scare you away, it really isn't that bad, a little drizzle here and there followed by gorgeousness. I love the Pac NW. I hate humidity and we have really low humidity here, and well, we have very few earthquakes, and no hurricanes or tornados. They barely get any snow, but are so close to the mountains you can go to snow if you want to.

Portland and San Fran both have light rails, which make them a better choice when public transportation is a high priority. Seattle has a great music scene, as well as theater and art - and it does have buses and taxis and such, I'm just more of a fan of the light rail.

SF is one of my most favorite cities, but the cost of living there is through the roof, so it wouldn't be my first choice of places to live.

And all three have really great culture and an awesome city vibe to them. And there are great outdoorsy things to do as well. Plus I love being close to the water.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm getting an internship (hopefully) next summer for advertising and public relations and I'm looking at major U.S. cities. I most likely won't want to bring my car, so it would have to be a city with an efficient public transit system. I'm also interested in the art, theater, music scene wherever I go.

I'm looking at Portland, Chicago, and San Fran right now.

I live in the Southeast, so if you have any ideas of cities less than a 9 mile drive from Florida that are nice and less urban, shout them out too!

Basically I just wanna hear what places you guys prefer to live in and why :)

San Francisco. Portland is neat, but small, granola like, and relatively isolated when it comes to access to larger cities to the south. The food scene is kinda goofy as well.

Chicago is a good place to go to get shot. Crime rate is through the roof there. It's also one of the ugliest cities I've ever seen in my life, and I've stumbled drunk through Manhattan.

That leaves the single best city in the country, San Francisco. The food scene is amazing. The people and minds open and welcoming. The dating is top notch, and I've never seen so many beautiful people in one place. What I really like about SF is that it's a creative, open, friendly place with the nicest narrow band of weather. You have the beach, the hippies, the preps, the hipsters, the lgbt, and the bridge and tunnelers.

If they weren't so moonbatty and hateful of my guns, I'd move back there today.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I've got to go with SF too. It's a great place in which to live for a while, soak up all the good, and then leave all the bad behind. For visiting and staying long-term I would go with Portland.
  • purple4sure05
    purple4sure05 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys! I'm definitely starting to lean toward Portland (OR, for whoever asked above!) and SF. Being a Floridian I'm definitely a little worried about cold weather wherever I go but for a Summer it shouldn't be too bad anywhere!

Is Portland cheaper than SF?
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys! I'm definitely starting to lean toward Portland (OR, for whoever asked above!) and SF. Being a Floridian I'm definitely a little worried about cold weather wherever I go but for a Summer it shouldn't be too bad anywhere!

Is Portland cheaper than SF?

Portland is much cheaper...if it's just for the summer then you might also like Chicago. If you have to winter it then SF.

I really like Chicago the history and the buildings are just so impressive. The great lakes are beautiful. If I was you and knew it was just a summer thing I'd go with Chicago, but I've lived in the west all my life so the midwest seems exotic to me.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I dont pronounce my R's.

I call a liquor store a packie,
    a garbage can a barrel,
    a waterfountain a bubblah,
    sprinkles-jimmies
    & a milkshake a frappe.

I root for a team that won a world series in 2007,
    and I yell Yankees Suck! even when they play the Tigers.

To me any place west of Rt. 128 is the boonies
    & Cape Cod is a little piece of Heaven down here on Earth.

The best thing to do on a summer night is to watch the Sox
    with lots of Fenway Franks & ice cold beer.

I ride the T.
    I know betta than to swim in the Charles...
    but I do love that dirty water.

& everytime I see that big red Citgo sign...
    a smile comes to my face.

Damn straight I'm Bostonian ...

& I'm wicked proud of it.

______

Seen years ago on someone's profile, and loved it :) Even though I complain all winter, I love Boston!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    none,
    COME TO CANADA.
  • Tatonka_usn
    Tatonka_usn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    San Fran or San Diego....you won't be disappointed with either :happy:
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I live in San Francisco... and love it.

The neighborhoods are such drastic contrasts from one to the next. Even the weather can vary from drizzling to warm and sunny. All within walking distance or a short hop on the bus/train. Hustling financial district, artsy spots, great outdoors, ocean, we have it all.

Sure, there's crackheads an hipsters, but it's a small price to pay! Well, speaking of "price to pay" I hope your new job will pay you well!
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    SF hands down... is this even a question? the city can be kind of expensive, but I live in Berkeley, and the living costs and the restaurants especially aren't too bad at all (huge college town obvs). they're all great cities but if you have the choice, SF. also, don't call it san fran or frisco or sfo, the hipsters will be displeased.
  • Elliesque
    Elliesque Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I don't really dig cities. I'm more into towns. I like it rural :)
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    key west is a favorite city, hands down.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    to settle in a place for a long time i'd choose San Diego. San Fran is a great city but too cold/bad weather in comparison.

as a young person choosing a city for a couple years id choose New York. best all around city in the USA. has the best of everything...so much to do and see.

as a vacation? excluding Hawaiian cities id pick New Orleans or Las Vegas.
  • ElsaVonMarmalade
    ElsaVonMarmalade Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I agree, SF if just for the summer, Portland if looking long-term.

This calculator can give you a *very general* sense of the cost of living: http://money.cnn.com/calculator/pf/cost-of-living/
  • WildlyCurly
    WildlyCurly Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    New York City is my favorite. It's the best city in the US and in the world, to me anyways... I am really biased because I live there. I would never want to live or work anywhere else. I love the diversity, the fashion and the food. I was born there, I was raised there and I want to die there.
  • greeneyes0809
    greeneyes0809 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I may be biased, but San Francisco hands down. I'm currently living in DC and there is no comparison between them. It has everything you want in a city, but it's also cleaner and like someone said above you have everything want. If you want you can go to the beach for the weekend if you want warmer, go to the mountains if you want to ski etc. The weather isn't bad at all. It doesn't get that cold in the winter, probably like mid 50s, being near the water keeps it moderate. And I mean the sports are pretty awesome too..
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    NYC

You don't like, go *kitten* yourself.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Boston