Pearled couscous confusing nutrition facts

I just made a box of pearl couscous...serving size is 2 oz. (or 1/3 cup dry). Calories are 210 as packaged and 250 prepared. Does anyone know how to measure this out once cooked?

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    I just made a box of pearl couscous...serving size is 2 oz. (or 1/3 cup dry). Calories are 210 as packaged and 250 prepared. Does anyone know how to measure this out once cooked?

I'm assuming the package directions must use something other than water for preparation (added butter/oil, perhaps). If you prepared it according to the package directions, then I'd go with the 250 calories. If you prepared it some other way, then I'd use 210 and add anything you used besides the couscous and water as a separate ingredient.
  • teamstanish
    teamstanish Posts: 274 Member

I'm assuming the package directions must use something other than water for preparation (added butter/oil, perhaps). If you prepared it according to the package directions, then I'd go with the 250 calories. If you prepared it some other way, then I'd use 210 and add anything you used besides the couscous and water as a separate ingredient.

This seems correct, if you read the directions on the box it may call for butter or oil to be added. If you did not add anything and used water go with 210 otherwise use the higher calorie estimate.
  • onsugarhill
    onsugarhill Posts: 39 Member
    If you cooked the whole box, and now you're just wondering how to measure out a portion, I would weigh the total amount you have and divide it by the number of servings in the box. I do that when I cook anything that absorbs water.