Help: Wine tasting party

Options
I am hosting a blind wine tasting party. We have 7 couples coming and they are each bringing a bottle of wine. I have saved my calories for the evening 700. My concern is, does anyone know how if red wine metabolizes to sugar? I know depending on how sweet the wine is will determine the grams of sugar and calories. I am going to try and do small tastings and stick with more crackers then cheese and salami.

Replies

• kimjoan
    kimjoan Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Yes, the wine is sugar which will actually metabolize to fat. My suggestion is to get in a workout or good walk as close to the party of possible (know it is hard when you are hosting). You body utilizes sugar/carbs much more effectively right after activity vs. inactivity. And, you should have some protein out there that you can eat. A dip made with non-fat Greek yogurt? Some reduced fat cheese? Or, take some turkey, spread with non-fat cream cheese and put a bit of finely chopped peppercini and roll up - slice in 1/2 segments and throw a toothpick in there. Having this protein will help your body better use/metabolize the sugar from the wine. That along with the workout and your planning and you should be more than fine.
  • tinasullens
    tinasullens Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with what Kim said!

And if you plan to stick with mainly the crackers, put some cheese on top for the added protein. Most dry wines run between 75 - 85 calories and most sweet wines run between 100 - 119 calories, both per 5 oz. serving, red or white. Hope that helps to figure your calories as you go along during the evening as well! Have fun!!
  • tina_011794
    Options
    Thanks you two. I did just have a turkey sandwich. I think I will go do some weights and get in a little cardio before everyone starts showing up!
  • tiffanygil
    tiffanygil Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Great idea but remember to make this change last you have to have balance so dont be to hard on yourself =) Have fun and enjoy yourself!
  • dgroulx
    dgroulx Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I have wine with dinner on the nights that I don't work. For a wine tasting, you swish and spit. No problem. I'd worry more about salami or cheese. Both are high fat/high calorie foods.

If you drink wine, use a measuring cup. I found out that my small wine glass from Ikea actually holds 8 ounces!!!!
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Drink the dry reds, swish, and spit. I'd think the crackers would be a worse choice carbohydrate/starch-wise than the effect you'll get from a very small amount of red wine.