Do yams contain compounds that act like steroids?

Options
Do yams contain compounds that act like steroids? I'm actually lifting now so can someone do the legwork for me? ;-)

See this article:
http://www.athlebrities.com/2008/08/28/usain-bolt-juiced-on-yams-while-spreading-‘joys’/

In particular:
In the early 1930’s, yams were used to first synthesize testosterone because the chemical structure of the yam is identical to human testosterone. This particular Jamaican yam could possibly contain the most potent steroidal glycosides on earth.

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    He also ate McNuggets before winning his gold medal at the Beijing Olympics.

The simplest precursor to testosterone (and a bunch of other hormones) is cholesterol. The use of yams to make synthetic hormones requires biochemical processes not available in the human body.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    This is an old "natural DHEA" pitch. Take it for what it's worth.

And Bolt more than likely does enhancement since his country doesn't even test for it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Am now looking forward to someone creating a thread to seriously ask about juicing with yams or a "I think yams and weight lifting are making me bulky"

Tagging for my feed.
  • skinnygal05
    skinnygal05 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    One of Jamaica's leading scientists claims yams and green bananas could be key reasons for the island's dominance in the world of sprinting, the Jamaica Observer reported Tuesday.

Professor Errol Morrison, the president of the University of Technology of Jamaica, has conducted extensive studies on why Jamaicans run so fast and his most recent findings suggest two of the country's staple crops are partially responsible.

"This is a hypothesis. This is not gospel and fixed in stone. It is a hypothesis based on a lot of biochemical research and anatomical research," Morrison said.

Morrison said yams produce hyposteroids, which act as a stimulant, while green bananas produce phytate, which replenishes the energy supply.

"You can't just get up and eat tuber crops like yam and go and run," Morrison said. "What is happening is it is a staple diet, so our young people who are using these staple crops are being exposed to these 'anabolic steroids' from very early.

"And Jamaica is the only country with organized [sprinting] programs from infancy, so you are putting up a stress and demand on these muscle groups.

"Further pushed by these 'anabolic steroids' they are going to have an advantage and they are going to grow with that and by the time they are hitting the late teens you should be seeing some responsive muscle mass."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/07/27/yams-bananas-may-be-secret-to-why-jamaicans-run-so-fast/#ixzz2f5nvvGbh
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    ...Jamaica is the only country with organized [sprinting] programs from infancy...

There's the real answer.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    ...Jamaica is the only country with organized [sprinting] programs from infancy...

There's the real answer.

^I'm going to agree with this. lmao.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Are we sure that this has nothing to do with Jamaica's other bountiful crops?

I mean, not that I feel like I can fly or anything.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options

There's the real answer.

^I'm going to agree with this. lmao.

I saw that and facepalmed.