Please review my diary and tell me am I doing good??

Options
2»

Replies

• hillarysmith21
    hillarysmith21 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Your diary really isn't bad. Good food that is also pretty nutritious. However, tailored to what you want (and probably need) lean meats would be great. Turkey, chicken, fish, or the vegetarian equivalent. Your right to look for high-protein and fiber foods. High protein is less fatty calories and fiber-packed foods sort of line the digestive system instead of being digested right away.

Whole grains are awesome and you seem like you have enough of those. If you want more protein, I'd say raise your lean meat intake and switch it out with something carb-ey, like peanut butter or bread. If you want fiber, they actually have fiber gummies, which I take called Vitafusion sugar free fiber gummies. They're good for reaching your fiber count and obviously have no sugar.

Also, if you're still not hitting the protein level you'd like, you can try a little protein powder - I use Eas 100% whey vanilla protein powder. You can make some great shakes, mix it in oatmeal, or just drink it in milk.
  • tjthegreatone
    Options
    You don't seem to be eating enough, there is far too much processed stuff in your diary and for a young man your protein intake is surprisingly low. I think if you developed a fondness for chicken, fish, natural peanut butter, legumes (like edamame, lentils etc) this would improve.
    I would also aim to eat to close to your calorie goal. At 24 and male you should be able to eat more than 1500-1600 and still lose weight. If you're not already in the gym lifting with some HIIT cardio I'd recommend it. You guys have so many hormonal and metabolic advantages - make the most of them!
    In terms of 'tips' about food, I'll make a separate post.
  • tjthegreatone
    Options
    I would say a few things:

1. I don't believe in tracking sodium too rigorously unless you have a medical reason to do so (hypertension, kidney disease etc).

2. I don't believe in tracking sugar either for similar reasons (unless you are diabetic). Unfortunately MFP cannot distinguish between sugars in fruits, starchy foods etc and sugars in cereals, cookies etc and so this muddies the water. Therefore I think it's safer to simply aim to reduce intake of these things with added sugars (we all know what they are).

3. I think that the MFP macro defaults are actually 'okay' but some people achieve better satiety eating more protein - I have altered mine to 45%C 30%F 25%P.

4. I am not a fan of fast food full stop. Most of it is extremely high in carbohydrates and/or saturated fat and offers little satiety for the amount of calories consumed. I can barely keep within my goals eating a diet low in processed stuff - with fast food I'd stand no chance. Kudos to those who can, but I don't think they represent the majority of people.

5. I don't enjoy cooking and I live alone so I do a bulk-cook about once weekly (two different dishes usually - easy ones are chilli and chicken-based dishes). I then freeze or refridgerate portions for re-heating. When I get home for dinner I expect preparation time for food to get to my plate to be 10 min max. If I have prepared food I can just reheat it. You have to like leftovers (which I do) and sometimes eating the same dinner 3-4 nights in a row though.

6. I am a big fan of frozen veggies. No one can convince me that there is anything wrong with them.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    :-D I need some tips on fiber + protein. How bad is cholestrol? Thanks

Lmgtfy
  • tjthegreatone
    Options
    :-D I need some tips on fiber + protein. How bad is cholestrol? Thanks

Lmgtfy
    I actually had to google that :laugh: Oh the ???irony? ???coincidence. Wouldn't wanna be Alanis Morissette :laugh: