BMI

Hi.

13 Months ago I clocked in at 315lbs, give or take 7lbs.
I weighed myself this morning without clothes on after waking up and before the consumption of water or any food and I weighed in at 195, which is great and all.

I then calculated my BMI which I've been doing every then and again throughout my weightloss routine.
Given my height (6ft) and current weight, my BMI is 26.4 which is considered overweight.
My goal from the beginning was to reach a BMI where I would be considered at an average weight so at the highest 24.99.

That puts my goal at 184lbs.

Just wanted to ask if thats realistic or should I am at a even lower weight.
Also how important is the BMI calculation, given I also lift weights, if that matters at all.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Replies

• init2fitit
    init2fitit Posts: 168 Member
    BMI doesn't address body composition. Huge bodybuilders who can lift a truck tire and throw it around the globe are generally overweight, though they may have lower body fat, though there could be someone who was a normal* BMI that has a BF% that would actually make them be considered overweight.

So while BMI is a good starting point, its not really founded by true science as a marker of health. Its not that important. But some people do like it so... I guess it's up to you.