ATTN: Ladies who are afraid of gaining some weight

Options
I noticed a lot of women on here eating 1200 or less everyday and expressing their concerns about weight gain so I wanted to share my story.

At the start of the summer my lowest weight was 112 with a bmi of around 18. I couldn't work out because of an injury prior to that and I was super depressed and scared of extra calories leading to a bunch of weight gain in my new crappy sedentary lifestyle. I was dizzy all the time, lost all my hard earned strength, irritable, constant anxiety attacks, etc.

Since I started my clean eating build phase I am now 127 and still only 18% body fat and amazing things are happening! I feel alive again. I
-think clearer
-no desire to binge eat like I used to get all the time
-no longer fear carbs like the plague
-don't have anxiety about eating in social situations because I can eat normally
-can lift weights again!
-have so much more energy
-just feel fantastic
-No more panic attacks or light headedness

Sure, it's emotional putting on the fat at first, but the muscle is so worth it. And an amazing thing happened in the last couple weeks I've actually gained muscle AND lost fat. Everyone says it can't happen but I must be doing something right. My body feels so much happier with me now and people keep telling me how much better I look. I plan to continue on with my bulk and then I will do a mini burn but no where near what I was like before. To be honest, I kind of am loving a little more curve and my boyfriend is happy my boobs are back. I may not be able to fit into my skinniest of skinny jeans anymore but I have the strength and good mood to push myself into beast mode at the gym and that's so much better. A lot of women (myself included) tend to really underestimate how much we are eating. It wasn't until my trainer had me make myfitnesspal account and I started eating my surplus that I realized how much energy I really need when I am that active. My body is thanking me for it. Do not fear the weight gain, embrace it, girlfriends! :D

Replies

• MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    No fear here :wink: great outlook OP! Glad you overcame and are doing well :drinker:
  • Shellbell2807
    Options
    Wow this is exactly what I need to hear! thank you xx
  • Shateyn
    Options
    No fear here :wink: great outlook OP! Glad you overcame and are doing well :drinker:

Your quads... I love your quads!
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Tagging for my wall. I love this healthy attitude towards food and your body :heart: :drinker:
  • spaceyplum
    spaceyplum Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the inspiration!
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing :flowerforyou:
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    This is awesome!
  • thesophierose
    thesophierose Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I noticed a lot of women on here eating 1200 or less everyday and expressing their concerns about weight gain so I wanted to share my story.

At the start of the summer my lowest weight was 112 with a bmi of around 18. I couldn't work out because of an injury prior to that and I was super depressed and scared of extra calories leading to a bunch of weight gain in my new crappy sedentary lifestyle. I was dizzy all the time, lost all my hard earned strength, irritable, constant anxiety attacks, etc.

Since I started my clean eating build phase I am now 127 and still only 18% body fat and amazing things are happening! I feel alive again. I
    -think clearer
    -don't have anxiety about eating in social situations because I can eat normally
    -can lift weights again!
    -just feel fantastic

Sure, it's emotional putting on the fat at first, but the muscle is so worth it. And an amazing thing happened in the last couple weeks I've actually gained muscle AND lost fat. Everyone says it can't happen but I must be doing something right. My body feels so much happier with me now and people keep telling me how much better I look. I plan to continue on with my bulk and then I will do a mini burn but no where near what I was like before. To be honest, I kind of am loving a little more curve and my boyfriend is happy my boobs are back. I may not be able to fit into my skinniest of skinny jeans anymore but I have the strength and good mood to push myself into beast mode at the gym and that's so much better. A lot of women (myself included) tend to really underestimate how much we are eating. It wasn't until my trainer had me make myfitnesspal account and I started eating my surplus that I realized how much energy I really need when I am that active. My body is thanking me for it. Do not fear the weight gain, embrace it, girlfriends! :D

This is exactly what I need to hear, if only my head would cooperate. Haha.
  • pfgaytriot
    pfgaytriot Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Agreed!! As soon as I "threw away the scale" I began to make real progress and shockingly enough, my clothes still fit perfectly and I eat so much more than I used to.
  • Roopoo2
    Options
    Tagging for my wall. I love this healthy attitude towards food and your body :heart: :drinker:
    I am in love with your bacon mug!!!!!:love:
  • Roopoo2
    Options
    :drinker:
    awwww!!!! cute picture!!!!!::flowerforyou:
  • Roopoo2
    Options
    I love this post, very freeing and inspiring.:glasses: ...I love everything apparently and smiley icons.:laugh:
  • Shateyn
    Options

-think clearer
    -can lift weights again!
    -just feel fantastic

This is exactly what I need to hear, if only my head would cooperate. Haha.

Trust me, I was resistant at first. I think the only way to do it is increase very slowly and you'll actually be surprised at how much you need to eat to actually gain weight. I felt angry that I had wasted so much time measuring out food, worrying about each calorie, etc. when I realized how much it takes to start gaining and all that nonsense was futile. Then eating so much is sort of like reverse psychology. Sometimes we only want something because we think we can't have it. Once you start with little steps and your body adjusts you'll be excited I bet and want to keep going with it!

Thanks for all of the positivity everyone. I really appreciate the words of encouragement and that others can relate.
  • Shateyn
    Options

Right on! MM bacon
  • Yeller_Sensation
    Yeller_Sensation Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Thank you for taking the time to post this, Shateyn. I started struggling on Sun night with how puffy I looked and felt even though my partner has insisted every day that I am not getting fat.

I have been eating at a surplus since middle of last month because I want bigger muscles.

The pants are getting tighter.

The waist is doughy.

Pull-ups during back & biceps workout yesterday were a moderate disaster.

I feel like a lump of Play-Doh today.

Bloat is truly a woman's curse.

BUT

I have been able to squat my body weight and then some in less than three weeks (I have been lifting since Feb last year but have been terrified of squats and deadlifts until late last month).

My fasting glucose blood work results give me a glowing report of my health (side note: I eat 5-8 slices of bacon and up to a dozen eggs every week!).

I am making steady gains in weight training every WEEK.

So thank you again for your post; it's a nudge to not give up on eating all the yummy things that will help make me stronger.

:flowerforyou:
  • Shateyn
    Options
    Thank you for taking the time to post this, Shateyn. I started struggling on Sun night with how puffy I looked and felt even though my partner has insisted every day that I am not getting fat.

I have been eating at a surplus since middle of last month because I want bigger muscles.

The pants are getting tighter.

The waist is doughy.

Pull-ups during back & biceps workout yesterday were a moderate disaster.

I feel like a lump of Play-Doh today.

Bloat is truly a woman's curse.

BUT

I have been able to squat my body weight and then some in less than three weeks (I have been lifting since Feb last year but have been terrified of squats and deadlifts until late last month).

My fasting glucose blood work results give me a glowing report of my health (side note: I eat 5-8 slices of bacon and up to a dozen eggs every week!).

I am making steady gains in weight training every WEEK.

So thank you again for your post; it's a nudge to not give up on eating all the yummy things that will help make me stronger.

:flowerforyou:

I know EXACTLY how you feel, and those positive benefits definitely sound to me like they outweigh the fleeting "girly-feeling-fat" moments. It is a bit of a rollercoaster but sounds like you are making some exciting gains so don't get discouraged now!! When I first started I gained like 8 lbs of water weight from eating carbs again and then my body finally leveled out and I'm starting to feel lean again, with a bit of a belly but whatever. It is what it is. When I start to feel like switching back to cutting calories I like to look at pictures of really strong women and remind myself they didn't get there without going through their chubby phases too. And its great that your partner is supportive and can provide a reality check as well.

Another big epiphany moment for me that was tough to swallow at first was that I can (and should) still eat my surplus on off days. "You mean I get to sit around and eat and do nothing and its ok because my body is in repair mode...? Well if you insist ;)"
  • Yeller_Sensation
    Yeller_Sensation Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Dude. Shateyn. You are freaking awesome. For real. You took so many words right outta my brain from the past 48 hours.

I have at least several more months of calorie surplus so your story could not have come at a better time.

I LOLed at your epiphany because I eat big on rest days, too. Sunday breakfasts are quite epic over here. :laugh:
  • mwooderson
    mwooderson Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Very wise advice.
  • asaunders0923
    Options
    I just started lifting weights and doing strength training... for someone who lost 70 lbs. and has kept it off for 9 years it is VERY difficult for me to see the scale go up! BUT, I am sick of being jiggly!! I am going to eat as healthy as I always do and start puting on some muscle! Scale be damned! :smile: