Let's go out on a limb here...

Options
And say I'm not ready (financially and for other reasons) to buy an HRM yet...but I want to not be cheating myself. Everyone says that MFP calories burned is too high....so is taking 10% off of what MFP says probably a good bet? What percentage?

And unless you are buying me an HRM, don't tell me that's the only way to succeed ;)

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Impossible to know. For some people it's too high, for me it was too low. MFP cannot possibly calculate how intense your exercise was.

The simple answer is, log the MFP calories and monitor your results. Are you losing weight as you expect? If yes, continue. If no, reduce the amount of calories earned via exercise by a reasonable amount to achieve your goals. That's all there really is to it. It's just trial and error. Actual results trump calculations (HRM or otherwise). HRMs are not 100% accurate, don't forget that. They are neat gadgets/toys with limited use, just like pedometers, fitbits and everything else.. Results will always be #1 though.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    There are heart rate calculators online that you can use. Just record your BPM periodically throughout your workout, average it, and enter it into this site. It's more accurate than MFP's calculations.

http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx