Is it okay to use my new running shoes for workout DVDs?

Options
I just got new running shoes from Jack Rabbit, and I bought them primarily for...well running. But I like to do other things like at home workout DVDs, such as the 30 Day Shred and Ripped in 30. Can I wear my new running shoes to do these DVDs? I can't afford cross trainers at the moment, but I don't want to ruin my running shoes by using them for something other than what they're intended to be used for.

Replies

• maryjaquiss
    maryjaquiss Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    They should be OK for shorter workouts like RI30 & 30DS but I've hurt myself using running shoes for longer DVDs like Insanity. You need a bit more support really.
  • FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    They should be OK for shorter workouts like RI30 & 30DS but I've hurt myself using running shoes for longer DVDs like Insanity. You need a bit more support really.

Thanks! I just did Ripped in 30 with the running shoes, and it worked out fine, if anything it helped with stabilizing during the mild plyo in the Week 1 workout.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I wouldn't.id want my running shoes to last as long as possible. I was doing that, and I feel like my last pair went faster because I was also heavy squatting in them. I now have a pair of shoes I tried for running, didnt love, but like well enough to walk around in and do lifting and HIIT in. They were cheaper than my really good running only shoes. But, if you don't want to drop $ for another pair, and they don't hurt you, then gor for it. Just be cognizant of them going out faster than they would if you were solely going by miles logged.
  • runnergrlfl
    runnergrlfl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    If you're using your running shoes for things other than running, then the tread will wear faster and possibly in a different way than if they were just being used to run. For example, if you're doing jumping jacks and side lunges in them with 30DS, you will wear down the bottom edges of the shoes in a way that may compromise how comfortable they are when you're running.

When I did 30DS etc, I did them barefoot.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Workouts like that I do either barefoot or with socked feet. Disclosure: I don't where outdoor shoes inside my house except for treadmill and those are dedicated for walking/running workouts. #YMMV #TEHO
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't want to wear out a good pair of running shoes using them for any other purpose than runnning. I use my minimalist shoes for weight lifting and other exercises...I also use them for just walking around at the zoo or whatever. I would think they would be ideal for DVD workouts.
  • FitFabFlirty92
    Options
    I see a few of you are saying to try this barefoot -- I'm a little nervous about that. I do this workout on carpet and it's rather slippery, enough so that it's hard to hold a plank position, for example. I also like the support shoes give me when I'm doing any of the jumping moves, they keep my ankles from rolling and help me stabilize when I land. I have an old pair of K Swiss Tubes (the same shoes Jillian and the girls wear in the video) but they're too small and are uncomfortable to workout in, which is why I bought my new Saucony shoes. Decisions, decisions...
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I wear my running shoes for all things athletic. Walking, running, weights, JM DVDs, etc.
  • FitFabFlirty92
    Options
    I wear my running shoes for all things athletic. Walking, running, weights, JM DVDs, etc.

Sounds like a plan! I don't do a lot of miles running right now, anyway, I'm working my way up to a 5k. These shoes should last a decent amount of time (6 months to a year) since I'm not putting them through anything horribly strenuous. Do you find your shoes wear out faster because you use them for everything?